Can we talk about post-hysterectomy GI issues? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Can we talk about post-hysterectomy GI issues? Can we talk about post-hysterectomy GI issues?

Unread 05-07-2016, 11:59 AM
Can we talk about post-hysterectomy GI issues?

So yes, I have the swelly belly. I'm ten days post-op and it's worse now than it was a week ago. I'm not sure if that's normal but it's annoying. I look pregnant.

Even more troublesome is the reflux/heartburn and the GI stuff. I wake up every morning feeling like I can't breathe. The pain is not like other GERD stuff I've dealt with in the past (acid feeling in throat, hard to swallow) -- it's more in my actual chest. My doctor is convinced it's reflux/heartburn (not a clot) and I've adjusted my diet, am taking Maalox and Pepcid, and don't sleep flat. And I stopped taking Advil (which I miss!). But it's STILL happening every night. Is it normal for hysterectomy to prompt GERD stuff? Any tips on getting it to settle down?

I also had terrible diarrhea this morning, which could be a byproduct of the Maalox (it has magnesium) or it could be something else. Kind of ironic that a week ago I was in the polar opposite predicament.

So what is up with hysterectomy and tummies? Why is mine so angry???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-24-2016, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Jane View Post
So yes, I have the swelly belly. I'm ten days post-op and it's worse now than it was a week ago. I'm not sure if that's normal but it's annoying. I look pregnant.

Even more troublesome is the reflux/heartburn and the GI stuff. I wake up every morning feeling like I can't breathe. The pain is not like other GERD stuff I've dealt with in the past (acid feeling in throat, hard to swallow) -- it's more in my actual chest. My doctor is convinced it's reflux/heartburn (not a clot) and I've adjusted my diet, am taking Maalox and Pepcid, and don't sleep flat. And I stopped taking Advil (which I miss!). But it's STILL happening every night. Is it normal for hysterectomy to prompt GERD stuff? Any tips on getting it to settle down?

I also had terrible diarrhea this morning, which could be a byproduct of the Maalox (it has magnesium) or it could be something else. Kind of ironic that a week ago I was in the polar opposite predicament.

So I am having the worst bowel pain of my life! Every time my bowels move I get reall sharp pains in my lower abdomen..even if it's just gas! I have been going to the bathroom just fine and some diarrhea too but the pain is like nothing I have ever had when I have to go.. I also have some pelvic pain and pressure not sure why?? I have a total laproscopic hysterectomy on the 13th took ovaries cervix tubes and uterus..
Unread 05-24-2016, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kliena View Post
So I am having the worst bowel pain of my life! Every time my bowels move I get reall sharp pains in my lower abdomen..even if it's just gas! I have been going to the bathroom just fine and some diarrhea too but the pain is like nothing I have ever had when I have to go.. I also have some pelvic pain and pressure not sure why?? I have a total laproscopic hysterectomy on the 13th took ovaries cervix tubes and uterus..

I went through the exact same thing! My surgery was the 12th. I was re-admitted
The 20th because of a fever. But for 3 days I could barely eat and cried in pain with every bowel movement, and they were frequent because I was having diarrhea! Other than that I was doing great! It's passing finally, and the GI pain is gone. I'm on two heavy duty antibiotics for the fever/possible infection. Now my biggest recovery issue is ny itching. I have angry red hives around all 3 lap sites!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-24-2016, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflower1 View Post
I went through the exact same thing! My surgery was the 12th. I was re-admitted
The 20th because of a fever. But for 3 days I could barely eat and cried in pain with every bowel movement, and they were frequent because I was having diarrhea! Other than that I was doing great! It's passing finally, and the GI pain is gone. I'm on two heavy duty antibiotics for the fever/possible infection. Now my biggest recovery issue is ny itching. I have angry red hives around all 3 lap sites!
Yes the gi pain is awful I don't have a fever but the pain is horrible and my lap sites are really tender and red and the glue came off but the look like they have some puss in them. I cleaned them really well and put antibiotic ointment on them and put bandaids on them. Hopefully they will get better. I also have lots of runny kind of cloudy discharge from my vagina but the dr said that's healing and it was normal but I'm worried Bc I have lots of the bowel pain and vaginal and pelvic pressure.
Unread 05-25-2016, 12:00 AM
Re: Can we talk about post-hysterectomy GI issues?

Hi
I'm 4 weeks post op today and am happy to say I'm out the other side of the pain relating to wind and bowel. If you haven't already tried it then peppermint tea is really helpful. I've also had my warm wheat pillow next to me which also helps.
Wasn't expecting so much pain from things moving around so found it all a bit frightening but it has eased off now. Hope things settle for you soon x
Unread 05-25-2016, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Jane View Post

Hi Lucy Jane,

GI issues are very common post op... Our intestines protest bc they dont like to be handled & theyre settling into new real estate since the uterus moved out.

There are many other things that contribute as well: hormones affect our digestion. If ovaries are removed, or even if kept ovaries, a reduced function & experience surgical menopause.
During surgery water gets extracted via the intestines & therefore makes us constipated. Pain meds cause constipation. The 1st BM can be painful & it can feel uncomfortabke for a few weeks until things get regulated. Gas is another symptom too..

You sound like you have a couple things going on... A swellybelly can occur from gas due to the GI system not being regulated. It can occur also bc of swelling from surgery & that can take time go slowly go down. The more active you become, it will swell more..

Diarrhea could be from the Maalox but you were probably given an antibiotic preop. If thats the case, yogurt, probiotics are helpful.

If you have GERD, then follow a GERD diet.. Dont have caffeine, dont go to sleep for 4 hours after eating..

Are you sure its GERD & not gas from the surgery? Many people feel gas up high & to the shoulders. Try a heating pad & walking. Breathing exercises they had us do in the hospital are good. I had issues w GERD pre op, turns out I have a hiatal hernia bc my uterus was pushing everything & right bf surgery I started gasp for air while sleeping. Post op, I no longer have any of those symptoms.

After hysterectomy, our system is a bit different so its good to eat apples, prunes, veggies, lots of water, nuts, seeds. Increasing fiber w lots of water, that helps w GERD too. Banana is good if have diarrhea.

Walking, lots of water, rest alternating along w an ab binder, heat pad & ice packs got me thru recovery.

Im not really sure about what you r describing as GERD, or if its a chest pain. Anytime you have concerns, put a call into your Dr. It does get better!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register