Am I being realistic with post-op expectations? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Am I being realistic with post-op expectations? Am I being realistic with post-op expectations?

Unread 04-19-2007, 10:11 AM
Am I being realistic with post-op expectations?

Hello ladies. I am new here and scheduled for LAVH w/BSO on May 21st. I'll be home by myself day 2 post-op and wondering if I'm being realistic thinking I'll be ready to take care of children and pets by then. I've had six different laproscopic surgeries with no trouble. (D&C, balloon ablation, tubal ligation, right fallopian tube and ovary removed, and numerous pollups (benign) removed.) I'm usually up and running the same day, as these have all been in and out procedures. This time, my doctor said I have to stay in overnight, and I'm wondering if I'll be feeling rougly the same as when these other procedures were done? I am having this surgery electively, as I'm giving up on my five year battle with the endometriosis and adenomyosis. I know this is considered major surgery, as opposed to my previous procedures, but any realistic input from someone who has had the procedure done would be appreciated.
I'm reading both "Sudden Menopause" and "Through the Land of Hyster:The Hyster Sisters Guide", (which I am enjoying tremendously and would recommend to any and all!) however, I not sure if these are geared towards women having the abdominal procedure.
Thank you in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2007, 10:34 AM

Hi endoblue,
I am having my hysterectomy in May also (can't decide on a date though). From everything I have heard and read here, day two is usually spent in the hospital. You might want to plan for that or help in the event you are home. This is a major surgery and you can't take care of anyone else until you are taken care of. If I were you, which in some cases I am, I have three children, two dogs, a ferret, turtle and hamster (zoo), oh yes a husband too, I would make arrangements to have a lot of help. You don't want to mess up a surgery like that and end up back in the castle. Once is enough for me and I am sure for you too.

Good luck to you and stay positive.
Bonnie
Unread 04-19-2007, 10:45 AM

I can only speak from my experience...

I was in the hospital nearly 2 days. The first day home, I slept 12 hours, woke up and ate, napped 3 hours, took a shower, napped 3 hours (you get the picture!).

If you have older kids (teenagers) who can help with the pets, you will probably be okay. If they are younger, you are probably going to need help for a week or so.

I was alone at Day 4 (hubby went back to work). But it was only me and the dog (and hubby came home in time to take the dog for his walk). Just after the 1 week mark, I could make light meals and do little things around the house...but that was about it! I couldn't drive until my 2 week post-op check-up. I am 3 weeks post-op and still cannot walk our dog on a leash (can't vacuum until 6 weeks). I have gone back to work for very limited light part-time duty (2-3 hours a day doing office and computer work).

This is, after all, major surgery! You will be sore internally. Not to mention that (if your LAVH is like mine) you will have 4 exterior abdominal incisions. Just remember, you ONLY get one chance to heal the first time. Be care not to risk it overdoing things and having to go back for more surgery for damage done internally that you cannot see.

Hope this helps!
Kim
LAVH/BSO with Climara patch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2007, 10:47 AM

I haven't had mine yet, but my doc said the recovery is a lot like a c-section recovery (which I had 3 of). I had a lap 2 weeks ago--and it was a piece of cake, I don't think you'll say that about the hyster if my doctor is right. I would say you won't feel like doing anything for at least a week/maybe 2 weeks. Even after that, you really shouldn't do anything for 4 weeks--even if you feel well enough to! It is so hard to not do anything (lifting, bending, cleaning, etc) but I think my disobeying that rule may have contributed to my adhesion problems--I didn't allow myself to heal properly. I am flying my sister in and she'll be with me for a month--I don't want to take any chances with something sooo important! Good Luck!
Unread 04-19-2007, 11:04 AM

Frankly, I think you're being unrealistic. However, we do what we have to do. I, too, have young children to watch. I have no family to fly in, and I can not afford to pay a babysitter. I have insurance to cover the surgery and work leave, and I have lined up friends to help with as much as possible, but the reality is that I will be doing more than I should. I hope that you have someone who can stay at your house with you for a few days, at least.
Unread 04-19-2007, 12:49 PM

I had an LSH 2 months ago, with an uncomplicated recovery, and feel great! However, I was amazed by how sore I was "inside" for the first 3 weeks when I was standing up for any length of time (manageable easily with ibuprofen and by sitting down). I was more tired than I expected, also, but I listened to my body and took it easy. I have a 6 year old and 8 year old, and a big dog to walk. My husband stayed home with me for a week, which was just about right, did all of the housework (well, 98% of it) for two weeks, and walked the dog for a month. I fed the dog and cats after the first couple of days, but no way I was going to walk him and risk the chance of getting pulled over. I took one month off from work (other than e-mails), and was ready to go back.

I'm a person who HATES to ask anyone else to do anything, but realized that if I overdid it, It would take longer to heal. I'm very glad I took it easy. By the way, for comparison, I had a hysteroscopic fibroid resection and ablation last year, and complete recovery from that took about 1 day.

So, especially if your kids are little, please try to get someone to help you out, especially that first week. Even with a vag hyst, they're going to be handling your insides quite a bit. Try to plan for some help, and if you don't need it, that's great!

Good luck!
Unread 04-19-2007, 04:10 PM

I realize that I had a different surgery (TAH/BSO) than you are scheduled for but I cannot emphasize enough the importance of "pampering the princess" for a successful recovery! A doctor my mom once worked for would say that if you don't take care of yourself in the first 6 weeks, you will be paying for it for 6 months to a year.

I don't know your situation (husband/family/friends in the area to help), but if at all possible, I think you should get someone to be with you for a few days after returning home from the castle until you really feel up to it. Most important of all listen to your body and don't overdo it.

Best Wishes for a successful operation and recovery.
Unread 04-19-2007, 04:31 PM

I'm curious as well as to how soon us May ladies can be out and doing things! I'm having a LAVH on the 23rd of May. After my D&C and hysteroscopy, I was up that day taking a drive and back to normal the next. However, I know that this is a lot more involved. Generally I'm a get up and do things person, but it's been over twenty years since I had my ovary removed abdominally and maybe things won't be quite so easy! Good luck ladies!
Unread 04-20-2007, 07:56 PM
Thank you to all...

I appreciate the feed back all of you have given me. I've decided to ask my mother to come and give me a hand for a few days, despite the love hate relationship we have. I figure I'll be tired and drugged up, so maybe she won't drive me crazy like she usually does. Right? Please tell me I'm right!!!
Still writing my questions down for post op visit, but so far not getting nervous. I'm sure that will come as it gets closer to May. I'm also sure I'll have more questions to ask you ladies before then. Good luck to all that are scheduled to walk before me in the next month.
Unread 04-20-2007, 10:21 PM

A piece of equipment that I have found to be useful is what I refer to as a "picker upper". You can get it at a pharmacy that caries medical/surgical supplies. (They'll probably know what you are talking about when you say "picker upper.) It helps to pick up things that you may have dropped on the floor (you'll be surprised how much gets knocked over when you can't bend over to pick it up). I also use it to help me get my pants up without bending over and I also pick up some of the little bits cat hair that have collected on the floor that I am not allowed to vacuum up yet. (Of course I clean it off after I do that!) I hope that helps.

P.S. I hope your mom coming over to help you will be more of a good thing than a problem. I will be praying for you and all sisters that will be going in for their operations.

Take care.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register