six whole weeks?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

six whole weeks?? six whole weeks??

Unread 08-23-2008, 09:05 AM
six whole weeks??

I'm curious... they say 6 week recovery for an abdominal (horiz) TAH... does that mean you can't get out of bed for six weeks? when can you be up and about (not exercising, not sex, just puttering and maybe back to work???) What can I expect to be doing at, say, one week out (realizing that everyone is different.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-23-2008, 09:20 AM
six whole weeks??

Hi!

Your doctor should give you guidelines to follow during your recovery. Restrictions vary so it's important that you follow the directions your doctor gives you. I had an abdominal hysterectomy and was up and out of bed at the hospital that day. The following day I walked the halls and then was released to go home the following morning.

At one week post-op you probably won't do anything more than caring for yourself and taking short, frequent walks. You'll want help for doing regular household chores at first. Most likely your doctor isn't going to release you before six weeks to return to work but if you're healing well, maybe you'll be release earlier.

There's good information in this link: Post-Op Page.

Best wishes for your surgery!

s
Unread 08-23-2008, 10:07 AM
six whole weeks??

You definitely want to follow your doctor's post-surgical instructions. But no, you shouldn't be in bed for six weeks. You should do as much gentle walking as allowed. It will keep you from getting leg clots and help your bowels wake back up and start functioning normally.

During the first week I took it very easy. But I did help with dinner one night, and one night I did dishes. The second week I did a bit more puttering around the house. By the third and fourth week I was pretty much back to my normal schedule (I work out of the house). I took short drives and did minor errands. Those tended to really wear me out and I took a nap every afternoon -- anywhere from 1 to 3 hours long.

Listen to your doctor and your body. By week five I felt great, but still took it easy so that I wouldn't relapse. (That is when you can get in trouble - when you really start feeling normal again). Don't lift anything heavy!! For probably eight weeks or so. I did some simple weeding once I felt like bending over that far. I started doing lots of keigel exercises and mild pulling in of my stomach muscles at week six.

To answer your "one week out" question -- FOR ME it was then pretty easy to get in and out of a chair and in and out of bed. I could sleep on my side a bit if I supported my stomarch with a pillow. My bowels were working properly again, although I still had some intestinal rumbles and gas. I had very little appitite. My mood/emotions were fine. In fact, I was feeling pretty good.

Good luck to you. Hope you have a wonderful recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-23-2008, 11:04 AM
six whole weeks??

Hi willow-you will need to be moving around and not staying in bed. Your doctor will give you your instructions and every doctor is different. I was in the hospital for 5 days. I actually went shopping and out to lunch 3 days after I was home. I took it slow and it felt good to be semi-normal. So 1 week after surgery I was out even it was just walking to the mailbox to get my mail. I also had a good friend I would meet 2 or 3 times a week at a local bagel shop for coffee and a bagel. I would have my dad drop me off and she would give me a ride home. I was told no driving for 3-4 weeks after surgery. Walking is key-it helps prevent blood clots, aids in your lung capacity after having anesthesia and it helps with the gas discomfort. As you will see on this site, alot of women complain more about the gas pains. In addition to walking, stay away from carbonated beverages, especially soda, beans, broccoli and other gassy foods. Good luck with your surgery. See you on the post op side.
Unread 08-23-2008, 11:24 AM
six whole weeks??

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowshines
I'm curious... they say 6 week recovery for an abdominal (horiz) TAH... does that mean you can't get out of bed for six weeks? when can you be up and about (not exercising, not sex, just puttering and maybe back to work???) What can I expect to be doing at, say, one week out (realizing that everyone is different.)
I had A TAH and they will won't you up and moving around as soon as possible. I was up and walking the next day after they removed the catheter. During week one and through out your recovery you need to walk around alot and don't forget to drink alot of water. It helps alot. Remember no bending or stooping. It's not good for the internal healing. I am 8 weeks post-op, my DR. gave me another 2 weeks off work after my 6 weeks, because my cuff stitches were still healing. I go back to work on Mon. Aug. 25th. (this mon.) Remember if you feel tired go lay down and rest and take a nap, it is good for the healing process and don't forget to take your pain pills if you need them so your body can also concentrate on the healing and not on trying to subside the pain. At my 3rd week and up to now I have been feeling so fatigued and blah. But I think it is due to iron. I am waiting on blood tests to see if that is it or not. But just remember to listen to your body. This procedure makes you more aware of what your body wants. Follow your Dr's instructions and don't try to cheat on what they recommend. And if they don't explain everything to you went you are discharged don't hesitate to ask questions. Good luck and wishing you a speedy and pain-free surgery and recovery.
Unread 08-23-2008, 11:31 AM
six whole weeks??

Thanks, everyone. This is very helpful and encouraging
Unread 08-23-2008, 12:14 PM
six whole weeks??

You need to limit your self. Don't pick up anything over 10lbs and do not strain your self doing anything. Even when you begin to feel like everyone is babying you. Take advantage of it. I had my TAH 1 yr and 3 months ago and still have some small issue with lifting things. Listen to your doctors and especially your body. If there are any indications that your body says NO than don't do whatever your doing! Rest, rest, rest don't over do it. You will find you'll have your good days and your bad days. So be sure to pamper your self and relax this is your time to recover emotionally and physically.
As you search the web-site you will find that many sisters agree it truely takes about a year or more for your body to recover. So be extra sensitive to your body and your health.
Good luck to you and we, your sisters, are here when you need us!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register