traveling | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 07-15-2005, 11:46 AM
traveling

hi ladies,
Monday I will be 3 weeks post-op. TAH surgery was on June 27th. I was wondering if any of you traveled before your 6 week checkup. My 1st grandchild was due yesterday in California. I am in Texas. My husband and I will be driving as we have some stops to make on the way out there. I really want to be there next week when they induce labor. What do you think?
clf626
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-15-2005, 12:26 PM
traveling

You should ALWAYS ask your doctor before traveling that far that soon. From the way I feel now, I think if it were me, I could make the trip as long as the driver stopped every few hours to allow me to walk around, and as long as we spent no more than 10 hours or so on the road per day. Remember, NO LIFTING anything heavier than a gallon of milk yet!!!! Be careful, and congratulations on the new baby!!
Unread 07-15-2005, 12:29 PM
traveling

Consider using an abdominal binder and/or a small pillow to cushion your incision from the seatbelt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-15-2005, 12:51 PM
traveling

Congratulations on your first grandchild!

I would definately discuss this with your doctor first. Alot of it will depend on how you are feeling and how quickly you are recovering. A long trip could cause a setback in your recovery, so you will want to be careful and certainly not overdo it AT ALL. You want to be in tip-top shape to enjoy the grandkids...

For me, all I was able to do was ride to the doctor or ER at 3 weeks (I was a slow recoverer)...the 5 mile trip did me in. If he releases you to go...don't LIFT a THING!!!

Take care of yourself....you have one chance to recover!
Unread 07-15-2005, 01:32 PM
traveling

Congratulations on your 1st grandchild!

Always check with your dr., especially this early in recovery.

I certainly understand why this is so important to you! However, at 3 wks I could not even climb in and out of the car! I was just like Pianoplayer...even at 5 wks, a 5 mile drive in the car totally wiped me out...I was back in the recliner the rest of the day! Some people heal faster than others, and bounce back easier than some. We are all unique in our own recoveries. You know better than anyone how you feel. If your dr. gives you the green light, make sure you stop and move around every couple of hrs. And, definitely have pillows...they are a godsend for bumps, quick stops, etc.

Good luck! Keep us posted and let us know how the trip went (if you go) and also give us an update on your grandchild!
Unread 07-15-2005, 01:49 PM
traveling

Hi clf626, it's your old buddy KelseeAz here with her 2 cents worth. ALL the way from Texas to California? I don't think so, but if your doctor says okay, go for it!! You didn't mention flying, is that out of the question? I know it's hot and humid in Texas. In Arizona, where you will be passing through, it is 110*+ and dry! The heat here is awful, truly. New Mexico is only slightly better. Not only will you be sitting and bumping along for hours, you will be sweating and going to public bathrooms at rest stops and gas stations that you know are not hygienic. I would never put myself and my recovery in that kind of jeopardy. Sorry clf626, we had surgery the same day, as you know, and I'm way against this idea. Anybody else agree with me or am I odd man out here? I care about you sister.
Unread 07-15-2005, 02:39 PM
traveling

Kelsee,

Odd man out??? No way! Like I said, I couldn't even climb in and out of the car at 3 wks! In fact, I drove my car for the first time that week, only 5 miles, and boy was that a mistake! I was no where near ready for a road trip to McDonalds, let alone out of State!
Unread 07-15-2005, 03:08 PM
traveling

Hi,
I'm a week ahead of you. Last weekend we drove to Seattle (220 miles) on Saturday and back home Sunday. I was in bed and in pain Monday and Tuesday! I was cleared by my doctor for the trip. We did stop at every rest area (40 miles or so apart) so I could walk around and I had all my pillows with me. Wore nothing with any constriction around my waist, etc. Coming home Sunday was miserable (I didn't realize Washington & Oregon's roads were THAT BAD). We took the good car and everything. The worst of it was for me that I finally resorted to a cigarette to try to relax (after 5 weeks with none) and now I'm right back to where I was before!
If it were me--I'd say wait a couple of weeks. You'll enjoy your new grandbaby a whole lot more if you're not as uncomfortable.
Congratulations on the new grandbaby--there's nothing better! My granddaughter just turned 13 (the reason for the trip), and is absolutely the delight of my life.

Kathy
Unread 07-15-2005, 06:31 PM
traveling

I travelled to my DH's brother's funeral when I was 4 weeks... mind you I had an infection but Dr gave the go ahead. I was soooo tired but I made it fine. The trip from So Fl to No Fl took about 10 hrs. I made a bed on the middle row of our Suburban (not too comfy) and changed head directions a lot due to my hips getting sore from laying on my side. We stopped A LOT!!! I took the clean rout... good bathrooms. Good luck, BTW why the induction? I am a doula and breastfeeding Leader and was curious.
Deb

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register