3 weeks post op bleeding | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

3 weeks post op bleeding 3 weeks post op bleeding

Unread 11-01-2009, 09:26 PM
3 weeks post op bleeding

I was sitting here on my couch minding my own business when i started to BLEED.

In an hour and a half I have gone through 3 pads and passed 4 clots the size of half my fist. (sorry if tmi)

The bleeding has stopped and I have had zero pain or discomfort.

Anyone else have anything similar happen?

(BTW I'm a medical provider so I know when to go to the ER so please don't worry about that)

I am guessing maybe a stitch popped open and the bleeding has slowed once it clotted off but I was wondering if anyone has any other insight.

It was very startling when it started because I thought hey wait a sec that feels familiar but thats not supposed to happen anymore!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-01-2009, 10:04 PM
Re: 3 weeks post op bleeding

I have heard/been told this is normal and may happen when the internal stitching begins to desolve. I have had no bleeding myself so have been expecting it but 4 weeks and nothing yet. I have also heard that if your cervix or part of your cervix has been retained that a person may get a mini period. Although I rather question the amount you have experienced if it has stopped, if you are in no pain and are a health service provider I suspect you are right and will know best if you need to go to emerg or not.
Unread 11-02-2009, 07:54 AM

ProfPa-
I didn't have any bleeding, or even spotting for 3 weeks, then voila! One day I soaked 5 pads and after bed rest for 15 hours it stopped. I was wigged out, so went in to see my doctor and he used silver nitrate and let me know that some of cuff was not healing and some blood had pooled above the cuff, though everything was intact.

I had not even had stitches begin dissolving yet. Well, I am 6 weeks post-op today and just began to have a few stictches disolve this past week, but have had 2 more episodes of heavy bleeding and many days of spotting...I have had two more treatments of silver nitrate and one round of antibiotics, just in case of an infection (since my gall bladder was removed same time and cross contamination).

Each time, the bleeding stops after bed rest, but I am truly not doing anything strenous or that I shouldn't be to aggravate bleeding. My doctor tells me that I'm a slow healer and not to be concerned. He suggested this past Friday that I can put a tampon in to use direct pressure on the cuff to stop the bleeding rather using bed rest for so long...oh well.

So, that's my story...I haven't had pain, or fever, or other symptoms, except for being tired...just the annoying, who knows when this is going to happen! I can't wait for it to stop, but I guess it is just a part of my healing process...

Since you don't know what your's might be related to...I would go see your doctor to be checked out...we are all so different...

Good luck in the rest of your recovery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-14-2009, 10:49 AM

I had a laparoscopic hysterectomy plus slings almost 4 weeks ago and I saw more bleeding today and Thursday (not tons, but more and redder), both times the day after taking a walk for about a mile. Do you think I should stop walking? Until after 6 weeks has passed?
Unread 11-14-2009, 11:12 AM

Are you serious? Thank you for the heads up on this.
Unread 11-14-2009, 11:34 AM

No wait! this may be gross and tmi but I just found some of the (dissolving?) stitches after I peed. So let's not blame it on the walking just yet ... I am committed to fitness. I see the doc on Thursday.
Unread 11-14-2009, 09:31 PM

Yep, they said you might see stitches. I never did.

Doc said a suture had dissolved a bit early and since I am a poor healer an artery opened up but lucky for me I have a slight clotting disorder and so my body clotted off the artery ( alittle one I am sure) after a few hours.

He said its very very rare and so far no more episodes!!

Hope you all are healing well and sorry I did not respond sooner I got no indication that there had been replies!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register