How do you handle people telling you what to do that have never experienced this? - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How do you handle people telling you what to do that have never experienced this? How do you handle people telling you what to do that have never experienced this?

Unread 04-06-2010, 05:42 PM
Re: How do you handle people telling you what to do that have never experienced this?

HShere,
Glad you got a date for the surgery. i think 6 cm sounds fairly big and would cause pain. Other people can not possibly understand the pain you are experiencing so just understand that. People can be idiots and I have found my share before and after the surgery. Thank goodness for this site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-07-2010, 06:10 PM
Re: How do you handle people telling you what to do that have never experienced this?

You are all correct, nobody else truly knows what we are experiencing. I guess I should look at it that way and say that they just don't know rather than judging them for their opinions. I do know they are concerned and mean well. But I do tend to lean towards "They should mind their own business as they are clueless to how uncomfortable I am and have no idea what I have already tried to remedy this!"

Wow! That would be nasty!! LOL! (But I would imagine it would stop their "suggestions")
Unread 04-09-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HShere View Post
I agree that his intent was to give options, but I am just tired of people thinking that I don't need this surgery! My largest fibroid is "only" 6 cm, but it is causing me such back aches and bowel and bladder issues.

I finally got my date today...May 6th! I have to go update my status now....
I'm sorry you have to deal with people in your business. We each have to come to our own decision based on how much misery we want to endure and for what purpose.

I had a large fibroid that was located near the blood supply to my uterus and every month for a few days I felt like I was being stabbed in the side and could barely stand up straight. I had also had a couple miscarriages with lots of bleeding due to the fibroids as well as random bleeding so my doctor suggested a hysterectomy. At that time I wasn't ready for one and opted for the myomectomy because even though I was over 40, I didn't want to rule out another child. 11 months later I had another child, had my tubes tied and went several years without issues.

Now after a few years of excessive bleeding I decided I was ready to get the hysterectomy, especially after I learned my grandmother died of uterine cancer.

We each have the right to decide what is right for our own bodies. Rest assured that bad Karma will visit those know-it-alls. Their day will come and they will understand your situation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2010, 09:46 AM

Yeah..I know when I first told people that I had made the decision to have a TAH, they (with good intent I am sure) tried to sway me from my decision in that I shouldn't have the TAH. I know its the right decision for me as I want to be rid of all my problems. They don't know me as well as I know my body and all that I have had to go thru.
Unread 04-09-2010, 10:14 AM

LB123 - I am sorry to hear about your grandmother. I am also sorry for all you had to go through! How are you doing now?

hope2010 - You are 110% correct! People do NOT know what we go through. That is why I don't get why they feel the need to sway our decisions that we certainly have not arrived at lightly! Good luck to you!!
Unread 04-09-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HShere View Post
hope2010 - You are 110% correct! People do NOT know what we go through. That is why I don't get why they feel the need to sway our decisions that we certainly have not arrived at lightly! Good luck to you!!

Ditto to your comment...
Unread 04-11-2010, 11:20 AM

I had that experience with pain medication. My husband's family is extremely anti pain medicine, so I got to hear their opinions and see them whisper among themselves. They were so afraid of addiction, even though I asked doctors and nurses about the Rx in front of my husband so that he could hear what they had to say. Infuriating! But I ignored them and did what I needed to do: listen to my doctor and my body~ after a couple of days I was down to just 2 a day, at 10 days, completely done.
Unread 04-11-2010, 12:33 PM

Oh blueiris, I am sorry you had to deal with relatives' whispers! That is terrible!! Would they rather you be in severe pain just to make them happier?

I am sorry you had to deal with that, but I am gald you are doing well!!!
Unread 04-11-2010, 01:08 PM

Thanks HShere, I'm doing fine at the moment trying to get things done before I'm laid up for a while. I know my issues are fewer than many of you suffer, a fibroid here or there, only occaisional massive bleeding but no chronic pain, cancer or other seious problems.
My grandma was 84 when she died, but she suffered for a while, had surgery way too late and could have enjoyed many more years had she been given the hysterectomy at my age. My uterus did it's job, worked OK for a while, don't need it anymore.
Unread 04-11-2010, 06:01 PM

Sorry to hear about your relatives. My mom has been great but some of the relatives decided to weigh in and say you shouldn't do it. I know I made the correct decision and don't regret it. I also had a physician assistant who was worried about me being addicted to a pain med(still having pain) so i went to Tylenol but had to take massive amounts. Saw my primary who told me I needed the pain meds and that taking that high a dose of Tylenol was really a very very bad idea. She wants me to be comfortable so now I am going with her ideas. You have to be aware of people who think they know everything when they don't.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register