The usual doubts | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

The usual doubts The usual doubts

Unread 04-20-2002, 11:36 PM
The usual doubts

I am scheduled for TAH on May 22. Two days before my 48th birthday. I have read several posts from women experiencing this same wonderful birthday gift. I, like so many other women on this site, have the usual doubts. I have five big fibroids that my doctor has been watching for five years. We have been trying to hold out for menopause, hoping they would shrink, but she says that now is the time. My dilemma is that I don't exprerience heavy or prolonged periods at all. Every time I have had ultrasounds done the technician will always ask me if my periods are hell on earth because my fibroids are so big. I say, "no, I guess I'm one of the lucky ones" . However I do experience pressure on the bladder and bowels and lower back pain. I could live with things the way they are now, but the fibroids are growing at such a rate that my doctor say I should do it now. I have complete faith in her and she has always told me of the other options open to me. I finally made this decision and now I have to decide on whether to keep the ovaries or not. I have read all I can find( on this site and others) on this subject. I am still undecided.
Thanks for listening and any support from women in the same situation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-21-2002, 12:15 AM
The usual doubts

Hi there. Welcome to Hystersisters, the best site I have ever found.

I too had surgery for multiple huge fibroids and an enlarged uterus. I had the back pain, bladder pain, bleeding, cramps, the whole works. I knew I could not go through more years of all this (had ignored it for around 4 years, just thinking it was part of being a woman). Since surgery I have had no back pain and the incontinence seems to have righted itself as well. And the absolute best part - no more bleeding.

I was fortunate in the fact that I was able to keep one ovary and it is working fine.

At 4 months post now, I can honestly say it was the best thing I have ever done for me and my body. I have no regrets whatsoever. The surgery and recovery went very smooth and were about 1/4 as bad as what I had expected.

All the very best wishes for your surgery and recovery.

Gail
aka buckkieofoz
aka HSChat Gail
Unread 04-21-2002, 12:36 AM
Welcome!

Welcome to HysterSisters! Glad to hear you're finding your way around here and finding some useful info and support. As you know, the ovary question is very controversial, and you have to make a decision with your doctor's input, so that you feel comfortable and at peace with it. I had my dr make the decision during surgery when he could actually see what they looked like. They were atrophic, with cysts, and probably barely functioning, so he removed them. Plus I was at borderline risk for ovarian cancer, and I'm now relieved that I don't have that to worry about. I'm 48 also, and feel great on Estrace. Some women, though, have difficulty finding just the right HRT and dose to make them feel good. The newest research study just out says there is not as much benefit from HRT as we thought, but it does prevent bone loss and symptoms of menopause, including thinning and drying of vaginal tissues. You can discuss HRT with your dr also. Good luck in making your decisions! s and best wishes!
Ruthie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-21-2002, 04:15 AM
The usual doubts

If your ovaries are healthy and you have no history of ovarian cancer in your family, you might want to consider keeping them. I'm going to list several links to the subject of keeping ovaries or having them removed.

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...threadid=11025

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...&threadid=8076

https://www.hystersisters.com/forums/...threadid=10987

There is quite a bit of discussion about ovary removal in these threads so you should find them quite helpful.

After reading them and before you make your final decision, ask yourself this question. If you weren't having a hysterectomy, would you ask your doctor to remove your healthy ovaries? I'm sure that together, you and your doctor will make the best decision for you.
Unread 04-21-2002, 09:35 AM
The usual doubts

Hi,
I too am faced with making this decission. I am 47 and having surgery in a week. I have two aunts who have had ovarian cancer. (one were not totally sure that is what she had)

Anyways, I have choosen to leave them in. For reasons many might not understand (including my doctor).
I do not want to exchange one set of problems (heavy bleeding running my life) for another (hrt issues).
I would rather look at removing them once they stop working. In the mean time get ultra sounds regularly.
Who is to say, maybe in the next year or two a test for ovarian cancer will arrive on the scene??

I also feel that IF I were not having a hysterectomy and doing the "trying to wait it out till menopause stratagy" my ovaries would be inside me.............. just because I am removing uterious and fibroids, why just out of convience take healthy organs.

Of course if things don't look good, at the time of surgery, then the doctor can take them............ but there has to be a reason other than "well, I am here anyways, just do it".

I know many many people wont agree with me, and I completely understand their thinking. Mine just happens to be different than theirs.
It is what makes us unique, different paths, different truths..

take care
xo Donna
Unread 04-21-2002, 12:11 PM
Hi trailertrash35

I will be 51 on May 15 and will be about 3 months post op by then. I will be celebrating by feeling the best I have felt in years. I needed to have everything out. I am doing pretty well on HRT although I have only been on it about a month. I am doing a little tweaking but it is going pretty well.
I have read some recent studies that indicate our ovaries can provide some hormonal value well past the menopause years. No guarantees of course. But if you want to keep them and they look good during surgery then you should keep them.
Some women don't want to risk a second surgery and that is part of the reasoning of taking everything at once.
It is not an easy decision but I am sure you will reach the right one for you. I think our intuition can help us in these times as well.
I listened to my intuition in some decisions leading up to my surgery and have had confirmation since that I was right on.
Good luck to you.
I am in OC too.
Unread 04-21-2002, 01:32 PM
Kept Ovaries

Hi...I am 47 and just had an abdominal hyst, but I chose to keep my cervix and ovaries. I have no history of cancer and my ovaries are healthy, so no clear reason to remove them. My mother also didn't complete menopause until 57 so I am banking on a late menopause. This means I have maybe 10 years that my ovaries can give hormones and even after menopause...they give androgen (the hormone that affects sex drive). So for me, there was no question...keep them. I had cyst pains years ago, but they had subsided so I was willing to risk any maybe problems in the future, for the definite benefits right now.

Do your research and your instincts will guide you. You'll have a peace when you come to the right decision. Take care.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register