Depressed and teary 2 weeks post hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Depressed and teary 2 weeks post hysterectomy Depressed and teary 2 weeks post hysterectomy

Unread 05-07-2017, 10:55 PM
Depressed and teary 2 weeks post hysterectomy

Hi everyone, 2 weeks po. I kept my ovaries, everything else went.
I think I'm starting to get depressed, feeling teary all the time and am struggling to get out of bed.
I'm sad because my 10month is now used to going to Dad for anything and not me now.
My appetite still hasn't returned and I've lost 3kgs (6lbs +) in 2 weeks and I'm only small so can't afford to lose much more.
Am seeing my doctor on Wednesday but I am not so keen to bring this up, I don't feel like there's much she can do.

I'm just looking for some support. Is this just a normal faze? I hope it passes and everything is back to normal soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-08-2017, 07:15 AM
Re: Depressed and teary 2 weeks post hysterectomy

Hi. I had mine on 04/20. I have. Wen feeling similar. Also lost about 6lbs (but happy about that. Lol.

I have good days and bad days. On the bad days, I just want to stay in bed and cry. Today is a bad pain day but good because I am not laying in bed feeling depressed.

Just take care of yourself. Your little one isn't even going to remember this in the long run. Mom guilt always gets us. I have a 10yo, she has done more for me than I have for her in the last few weeks.

Hang in there. Hugs.
Unread 05-13-2017, 02:56 PM

Ladies, I completely understand! Post-op weeks 2-4 we're the most emotional for me. I'd start crying for absolutely no reason. I'm not normally a crier so it absolutely drove me crazy! It takes a while to get your hormones straightened out, and if you're not on them I highly recommend you start! I feel so much better now on Divigel (I'm about 2 1/2 months post-op.) I promise the crying phase is completely normal and almost all sisters go through it. Hang in there, this to shall pass! Hugs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-13-2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae Bow View Post
Hi everyone, 2 weeks po. I kept my ovaries, everything else went.
I think I'm starting to get depressed, feeling teary all the time and am struggling to get out of bed.
I'm sad because my 10month is now used to going to Dad for anything and not me now.
My appetite still hasn't returned and I've lost 3kgs (6lbs +) in 2 weeks and I'm only small so can't afford to lose much more.
Am seeing my doctor on Wednesday but I am not so keen to bring this up, I don't feel like there's much she can do.

I'm just looking for some support. Is this just a normal faze? I hope it passes and everything is back to normal soon.

First, gentle hugs to you, it will get better I promise. My abdominal cut hysterectomy and double ovary removal was April 12th and I was still a hurting unit but right about the 4 week Mark things changed for the better-your body has been through trauma, so rest, rest, rest! As my lead hyster sister told me "this is a rest harder recovery" and if you push too hard your body will scream at you. Tears are also to be expected, they are a stress valve. Your beautiful baby will reach for you again but let Dad handle the darling now as you certainly don't need a kick to your abdomen and you are not supposed to lift (you don't want adhesions dear one!!!) Listen to your body, sleep, pamper yourself, rest, rest, rest! Seriously! In two more weeks I think you'll notice a BIG difference! (Hugs again)
Unread 05-14-2017, 05:04 AM
Depressed and teary 2 weeks post hysterectomy

Emotional issues like what you've described are a common post-op issue. Your body is still recovering from the trauma of major surgery, and your ovaries may have temporarily shut down because of reduced blood flow. As much as you're struggling to get out of bed, getting up and going outside for a walk can really help you to feel better. I've also found that expressing myself creatively, through adult colouring books, knitting and other crafts projects, helps me to let out all those negative feelings, instead of keeping them bottled up inside. As for your lack of appetite, it's quite common for the GI tract to be a little off kilter for the first few weeks; taking regular walks can help with that. Also eat small, frequent meals, and avoid hard to digest foods until things return to normal; that includes red meat, dairy products, legumes, onions and garlic, cruciferous vegetables, pears, prunes, and artificial sweeteners. Having a smoothie can help you to get in some extra calories when you don't feel like eating much; combine 1 cup almond milk, half a cup fresh pineapple, half a banana, half a tsp ginger powder, half a cup spinach, 1 Tbsp chia seeds, and a scoop of plant-based protein powder. Also remember that you're still early in your recovery, and things will get better. Sending you gentle hugs, and best wishes for your continued recovery!
Unread 05-15-2017, 08:31 PM

Oh sweetie, sorry you are have a tough time! Hang in there, I promise it will get better! Try to be happy knowing that sweet girl is in good hands and that her daddy's got it covered while mommy recovers!

This thing is such an emotional journey anyway...throw a sweet baby in the mix and I'd probably be crying about something every day!

Try to cut yourself some slack! Get out and sit in the sunshine for a bit -- good for the body and mind!! It all gets so much better by about 4-5 weeks, hang in there!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register