Any successful mesh implants? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any successful mesh implants? Any successful mesh implants?

Unread 04-03-2012, 05:00 PM
Any successful mesh implants?

Hi,

I am scheduled to have cystocele and rectocele repair surgery along with the Monarch sling mesh surgery in a couple of weeks. Reading about the many cases of mesh erosion have caused me to loose sleep the past few nights. I am wondering if is anyone ou there with successful mesh implants.

Thank you

MeshMeNot?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2012, 10:03 PM
Re: Any successful mesh implants?

I had a similar procedure 12 weeks ago due to pelvic organ prolapse and so far, I am healing great and no problems!

I too was concerned. It seems as though as soon as soon as I made my decision to go ahead with the surgery, all the commercials on TV were geared toward pelvic mesh law suits! (change the channel!) and do not go on line looking for horror stories! You'll drive yourself crazy!

Good Luck. Surround yourself with positive people and be at peace with your decision. It speeds up the recovery process!
Unread 04-03-2012, 10:55 PM

I had cystocele and rectocele repair done with biological mesh (Repliform) and a T.O.T. sling procedure along with a TLH, 17 months ago. I've healed very well thanks to my doctors (gynecologist and urologist). I followed their post-op instructions to the letter and found lots of great support here too.

With no leaking, bleeding or constant pressure and feeling like something is "falling out", life is so much better than before! I've lost weight and exercise much more than I ever did before. I take Zumba classes 3-4 times a week which is something I couldn't have conceived of before my surgery! Life without pads for leaking and/or bleeding is wonderful!

Try to stay positive and be patient with yourself, it takes time to heal. I wish you all the best with your upcoming surgery and recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2012, 09:36 PM

I am at five weeks post op. I had a TVH with TVT sling and a/p repairs with Bio mesh. So far so good.
Things are different and each day is a little different, but I really can't complain thus far. Good luck with your surgery.
Unread 04-10-2012, 05:16 AM

Did you bring this up to your doctor? In my appointments I asked my urogyno "what about all those ads on TV?" She explained she uses a different type of mesh, gave me her success percentages and why they sometimes fail (can be affected by the surgeon's skill and the health of the patient).

She said for me (very active tap dance teacher!) the mesh would be the strongest, most lasting repair. But, she would not do my mesh if I wasn't able to use vaginal estrogen post-op to help the vag tissue stay healthy. (I had breast cancer that was estrogen receptive but my onc said very little of the estrogen in the vag cream was absorbed systemically so ti would be OK).

I feel great from my repairs -- like a new woman! Long 5 1/2 hour surgery with everything fixed. Long and major recovery but so worth it!
Unread 04-10-2012, 05:30 PM

Thank you for all your replies! It's a breath of fresh air hearing about your positive sling/mesh surgery outcomes.
Unread 04-13-2012, 09:55 PM

3/13/2012 VAH still have ovaries had A&P with sling method for relapse bladder and I was give my a collegan instead of mesh...my Dr. Said it was more forgiving and better than mesh....so far healing okay and feeling pretty human again ...have 6 week check up on 23 rd.... Only thing i will have these little twinge like feelings inside..no pain just enough to let me know things are little diff down there... Very nervous about intercourse after the 8th week... Anyone had sex after all this recently or later.... Is everything normal for you?
Unread 04-13-2012, 10:10 PM

I just pray for all of us that we go on to have normal healthy lives and everything works out for everyone..... Bless us All..... Take care Everyone....
Unread 04-18-2012, 05:46 PM

After talking to my doctor, I decided to go ahead with the surgery. Yesterday, I had an anterior & posterior repairs and TOT sling for SI. I stayed at the hospital overnight and came home without a catheter. I'm sore but not in pain. I'm under very restricted recommendations for the next 6 weeks. No bending, lifting anything over 5 lbs. etc.
Tburrola, my doctor said most people that experience pain during intercourse is due to nervousness and anxiety. He recommends to relax, use lubricants and talk to your partner about your apprehensions. Of course he said no sex until after my 6 week post-op visit.

Wishing everyone a great new beginning!
Unread 04-18-2012, 05:52 PM

I'm glad everything went well for you! Get lots of rest! Follow the doctors orders and absolutely no lifting.... Not even the laundry basket!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register