Incision Inspection | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Incision Inspection Incision Inspection

Unread 09-12-2005, 12:43 AM
Incision Inspection

After my shower tonight... I faced down one of my worst fears... looking at my incision! I hate the numb feeling around it, kind of freaks me out, but I know that I need to deal with it, so I did!

I laid on my back on my bed and used a little hand mirror to see it without straining my neck or trying to rearrange my body... worked swell! Anyway... it doesn't really look as bad as I envisioned it (I can't see it when I'm standing up because of my swelly belly)

There are just 4 steri-strips left on it... the parts of the incision that I can see look nice and clean, no redness, no puffiness, no bleeding, no draining... I can see all the little holes from the staples.

I put neosporin on it (the stuff with the lidocaine in it). All in all, I'm very pleased with how it looks.

I do have one worry though... on one side, it actually seems like the incision is indented and I just hope that it's going to heal okay... seems like the skin above it overlaps slightly on the incision. At least when I am laying down, the skin doesn't overlap, and I certainly spend enough time laying down (lol)so maybe it will be okay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-12-2005, 04:52 AM
Incision Inspection

Good work on biting the bullet and taking a gander. I'm glad everything looked better than you thought.

I don't know about the indentation on one side. Is it a horizontal incision? Mine was vertical. Hope this reply bumps you up so someone who had a similar experience will see it.

Best of luck.
Unread 09-12-2005, 05:39 AM
Incision Inspection

Not sure what you mean by indented, but on my incision there is a little spot where it looks almost open, it's not really, the dr said it's more like a dimple and that all that needed to be closed up had closed already, don't worry about it. So, if that's what you mean by indented, it's not anything serious.

Don't worry, the numb feeling won't last forever. I had my hyster on 6/6 and I'm just now starting to regain a little feeling in that area. It just takes time (I hate when people say that to me, but it's true!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-12-2005, 12:05 PM
Incision Inspection

It's a horizontal incision...

Let me try to explain what it looks like a little better. On one side, my belly seems to actually cover the incision. That's what I mean by "indented" Does that make sense?
Unread 09-12-2005, 12:32 PM
Incision Inspection

I had the same thing, I called it the lopsided swelling. The left side was flat but the right side was puffy. It eventually went down some and now the two sides are almost the same size.
Unread 09-12-2005, 02:23 PM
Incision Inspection

Lopsided belly seems to be very common!!!!!!!!!!! so don't worry hun.
Unread 09-12-2005, 04:18 PM
Incision Inspection

I have same thing. My scare is nasty looking, probably from hemorrhaging post op I'm not sure. It is all uneven and has dents is a couple of spots. Oh well it is worth it to have that yucky ol uterus out of my body. I'll trade ugly in for that any day.
Unread 09-12-2005, 09:33 PM
Incision Inspection

I hate the numbness too. The ridge above the incision feels yucky. It stays swollen and hard. My incision looks good. It is more tender now than before. I figure it is from the nerves healing.
Unread 09-12-2005, 10:36 PM
Incision Inspection

Over 6 mo. post op...my incision is from hip to hip, right above hairline. And, it is still very tender and the numbness drives me crazy sometimes! I have some stretch marks from 2 previous pregnancies...they are soooooo tender!

Hang in there, ladies! You are by no means alone on this one!

Life is good, though!
Unread 09-13-2005, 12:47 AM
Incision Inspection

I feel much better knowing I'm not the only one with a funny looking, lopsided, dented incision!

Thanks, ladies!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register