Does It Ever End? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - No Hormones - Managing Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Does It Ever End? Does It Ever End?

Unread 08-30-2004, 09:40 AM
Does It Ever End?

Hi Ladies!

Well, I will be 9 months post-op on Thursday, 9/2. I am just wondering...do the hot flashes and the insomnia EVER go away?! I've been suffering thru thus far. Some days are worse than others.

Doctor has put me on 50 mg of Zoloft for the anxiety and panic attacks and 25 mg of Elavil to help me sleep; although I only take a half of an Elavil because the whole one will knock me out and I can't seem to function in the mornings.

If there is anybody out there that has been thru this for a year or more, please let me know if these menopausal symptoms EVER go away.

Thanks a bunch and God bless you all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-30-2004, 09:41 PM
Does It Ever End?

Hi,

It is hard having hot flashes and insomnia. I still have hot flashes, but they are not too bad. I think I get annoyed with them mostly.

My insomnia is better, but right after surgery it was bad.

I am not sure how long this will last , but sometimes you have to try different things. If the Elavil is not exactly working you might talk to dr about a change.

I have found that the antihistamine Benadryl works, or any antihistamine that makes me sleepy. I have used the herb Valerian root to sleep as well.

If you try anything, you need to check with dr. to see if it is okay to take with the meds you are already taking.

I hope it gets better for you. I have heard symptoms can go anywhere from 2-5 years. If that's true then you are halfway there. I'm just beginning.

s
Unread 08-31-2004, 08:10 AM
Does It Ever End?

It does go away - but not all at once. At a little more than 2 years out, I can say I (almost) never have a hot flash, and while I still do have an occasional sleepless night, I don't think they are related to hormones, but rather just to the stress of everyday living.

I found real improvement after about a year. Working on health in general - exercise, eating well, managing stress seem to help.

Dorrie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-31-2004, 06:05 PM
Does It Ever End?

That's great news Dorriel. You have given me hope.
I all so think every one is different in how and when our symptoms will end. I hope your suffering will end soon lookingforsleep. I really feel for you.
My mother went through menopause really fast and some what easy. I still remember her being more motional and red in the face but it only lasted for a few months. So I am hopeful.
It's been all most 4 years for me but I just stopped my estrogen patch in the spring so I am estrogen free for about 3 months now and the hot flashes and night sweets are driving me nuts. I am using Black Cohosh and Promensil to try and help me get over this part. Just started the Promensil. So waiting to see if it helps. So fare no.
Just wondering when I stop the Promensil and Back Cohosh will all the hot flashes and night sweat start up again. I am eating better and exercising daily. But the exercising brings on more hot flashes. I sure hope this stops or slows down soon.
Feeling great except for the hot flashes and night sweats.
Hugs, 2Pegasus
Unread 08-31-2004, 07:59 PM
Does It Ever End?

Sherrall,

As we move through this phase of menopause, every change may bring on the but with a little planning you can avoid the worst of it.

I tapered my estrogen gradually, and while I did have some hot flashes (well more than a few) and sleepless nights, they were bearable. I started the black cohosh before I stopped the estrogen, and after 6 months or so of being off estrogen, took advantage of my natural hormonal and missed a few pills So over time I cut out the black cohosh.

The one thing I can't do without is my vaginal estrogen cream, Just a 1/4 of an applicator once or twice a week keeps all those tender tissues working well.

Dorrie
Unread 09-02-2004, 08:33 AM
Does It Ever End?

Thanks to all of you for the ideas, encouragement and inspiration!!! Just reading what you have had to say relieves me so much...I might just be able to sleep now!!!

Maybe it is just everyday stress that is keeping me up at night. Sometimes it seems there just aren't enough hours in the day to do what I have to do!!

Maybe a vacation would help!!

This website has been a Godsend in helping me to understand all of the changes my body is going through and for all of the wacky things I have been doing lately.

God Bless You All and may we all soon be hot flash and insomnia free!!!!
Unread 09-02-2004, 08:50 AM
Does It Ever End?

Hi Ladies
it has been awhile since I posted, or replyed' just
want you to know that it does get better, I am 3 years outa the gate... at first the hot flashes and nite sweats were the pits....
now I still have a few, now and then, but nothing like I did in the first 2 years. I do take 75 mg of Effexor rx,vit.B comlex,&vit,E,
and have just added Green Tea, trying to give up the liquid candy
known as"Pepsi" .

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register