How soon after surgery did you get out of bed & walk? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How soon after surgery did you get out of bed & walk? How soon after surgery did you get out of bed & walk?

Unread 09-30-2004, 06:27 PM
How soon after surgery did you get out of bed & walk?

I had a LAVH Monday. As soon as my iv and catheter was removed early Tuesday morning, I got up and took a shower... with my husband's help. When I got dressed, my husband and I took short walks down the hall at the hospital. I have had no painful gas and feel that it is due largely to the fact that I got "on the move". I promise... the more you try to move around the better you will feel. The first day you will be hooked to iv and catheter.... but as soon as it is removed, I would try to get up... with help! (You will be weak and sore at first.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-30-2004, 06:45 PM

I am scheduled for tomorrow morning at 7:30am. My doctor told me that they might try and see if I want to sit in a comfy chair that evening, but otherwise they'd get me up and walking the next morning after the catheter comes out and the leg things come off.
Unread 09-30-2004, 07:08 PM

Finished surgery at 5pm and was having a shower unaided at 7am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-30-2004, 08:12 PM

Dear stacy:

I had a TVH, and was in the recovery room before 9am, but not up to my own room til around lunchtime. They removed the catheter in the recovery room.

I had to get out of bed in the early afternoon for bathroom break. It seemed a looooooong way down from the bed to the floor (ack!). I shuffled off to bathroom, but could not seem to get going on my own. Later, a nurse came in and put the cath back in for bladder emptying, then removed it. Next time, I was able to go ok on my own.

I seemed to fall into a routine of getting up every hour or so, going to the bathroom (or trying), and then making a walk around the nurses station. I could get out of bed ok, but needed help getting back in (I couldn't seem to get my legs swung up into the bed).

When I got home the next day, I had DH in the shower with me the first time. If you don't have anyone to help you in the shower stall, you could put a plastic lawn chair in there to sit on for the first time.

Hope this info helps
Unread 09-30-2004, 08:26 PM

I had an LAVH-BSO about 8 a.m. and had catheter removed about 3 in the afternoon. Was up and walking to the bathroom soon after carrying my IV with me.

Between all the fluids I was drinking and the IV, I got up and down quite often - and each time was easier.

Good luck, I know all will be well. Really, the worst part is the waiting.

Unread 10-01-2004, 10:33 AM

I had a SAH at 7:30a and was "walking" at 9:00a the next morning with IV tagging along. The more I got up the easier it became plus it really did help with the gas pains!

We have a waterbed so the first few nights home, I woke my DH up every 2-3 hours to help me out. So be sure that you do have someone who can help you get up and down the first few days - even my 4YO DS helps me to get up.

Just listen to your body and go at your own pace. Believe me, your body will tell you when to stop and rest - mine does!

Good luck to you and waiting is the hardest part!

connie
Unread 10-02-2004, 09:21 AM

Hi Stacy and pre-op ladies,

When you get to the castle, please make sure there's a nurse or nurse's aide on hand before you make your first journey out of bed. First of all, they can give you tips on how to make the transition from bed to feet safely and with the least amount of pain. Second, they want to make sure you're steady on your feet before you go traipsing off on your own. My nurses requested that I call them if I wanted to get out of bed while I had the cath in. Once that was removed I was on my own and cruising fine.

My personal experience was surgery in the morning, then a couple of test manoeuveres later in the evening. The wonderful nursing staff taught me the best way of getting from the hospital bed to my feet, then had me stand for a few, then sit on the edge of the bed so I could "tidy up" before bedtime. I was a little shaky the first time and didn't go anywhere other than just being on my feet (still had the cath in so didn't need to), so I was very grateful for their support.

Day two I spent either walking the halls or in bed or the room's chair. I was fine on my own, and I definitely agree with mismonih, if you can walk upright as much as possible instead of hunched over, it does feel better.
Unread 10-02-2004, 12:15 PM

tah with major bladder repair and adhesions got up 24 hours later, nurse assistted, hurts and stings and feels like your insides will fall out but only for a short bit, but its gets better the more you do it, and easier. For me getting out of bed is the worst. Good luck
Unread 10-02-2004, 03:53 PM

I had surgery on Friday a.m. By Saturday a.m., they took out all IVs and had me in the shower and walking. My husband helped me with the shower.

All Saturday night, the nurses were conveniently missing. I had to get out of bed on my own and go to the bathroom.

Needless to say, I had my gyno check me out of the hospital early Sunday a.m. Once home, I took a few pain pills, and slept until Monday !!!

I hated being in the hospital. No rest, no help. Bad food. I was better off at home.

Walking didn't hurt as bad as I thought it would. Gas pains didn't hit until a few days after I got home. Constipation was a problem. But it was easier dealing with all that at home.
Unread 10-02-2004, 04:34 PM
out of be in 6 hours

I had a TAH at around 10:00 am - no catheter so the doc wanted me "up and walking before lights out!". Around 6:00 pm they got me up - morphine pump and all and took me in to the potty - I just sat there! I could feel I had to go but nothing would come out! Nurse said that was fine - did a little ultrasound - said there was urine in there but not enough to be worried about.

Nurse came in an hour later and we tried again and then two or three little drips came out - then it got easier and easier each time - especially after they take you off the morphine - then you are not so dizzy and disoriented and can go pee anytime you want!

GOod luck ! it is not as bad as we make it in our heads!!

Maria

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register