Now 6 months post hysterectomy: What is the total recovery time? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Now 6 months post hysterectomy: What is the total recovery time? Now 6 months post hysterectomy: What is the total recovery time?

Unread 06-20-2015, 08:43 PM
Now 6 months post hysterectomy: What is the total recovery time?

Hi, Hystersisters, can someone tell me what is the total recovery or healing time for your body to be completely healed after having this surgery. I have not bee on here in a long time. Hope you all are doing well. I have been having some itching and little pains every now and then by my incision areas. Do anyone else has that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-20-2015, 08:56 PM
Re: What is the total recovery time

Nice to meet you

I was told by the doctor that did my surgery that it could take up to one full year to completely heal on the inside, particularly in my case (I have a vaginal cuff). I am eleven months post op and at this point my 6 inch incision is still numb and raised and still itches from time to time. I knew right from the very start that this hysterectomy would take time to heal from. It is major surgery and the body has to recover physically, mentally and emotionally.

Wishing you all the best
Unread 06-20-2015, 09:03 PM

Nice to meet you too...I'm just 6 months in and my incisions are raised and I get itching, numbness, and sometimes pain. do you still be tired at times. Do you still be tired, when i came home, i didn't get much sleep at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-20-2015, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyt2014 View Post
do you still be tired at times.
As time goes on, you will not feel as tired.
I am dealing with some surgical menopause issues (muscle/joint pain) so I don't sleep well at night. Fortunately I don't work outside of the home so I can stay in bed as long as I like. So, in answer to your question... no, I don't feel tired at times.

Hugs
Unread 06-20-2015, 09:44 PM

oh ok
Unread 06-21-2015, 07:44 AM
Re: Now 6 months post hysterectomy: What is the total recovery time?

Im almost 3 months out and still feel i am recovering. I get twinges here and there when I bend too fast or move a certain way. A lot of it is because of my scars (vertical incision) and I hate how my skin expands and contracts throughout the day and I get that "stretching" sensation.
Experiencing muscle stiffness and depression/mood swings too. Havent tried sex yet and at times still feel swelling in vaginal area.

I am curious to see how others are doing so am watching this thread.
Unread 06-21-2015, 06:48 PM

I honestly did not feel completely 100% for a year after hyst. Ended up in PT for pelvic floor and had urinary issues but all is well now. Hang in there. Everyone's body is different and it takes some longer to feel completely recovered!! You will get there!
Unread 06-21-2015, 08:50 PM

Hello everyone,
I am 5 months post-op and I still get the swelly belly from time to time, and the tingling sensation as well. Hot flashes are still around even on HRT also insomnia has never gotten better either. I had sex once when I was 4 months post-op and I HATE it!!! It hurt badly even though I was very lubricated! Felt like my vagina was being stretched and torn apart lol. It was like losing your virginity all over again but it was more painful. I have NOT had anymore sex since then, I'm way too scared even though the doctor cleared me to have sex. DO NOT have sex yet!!!!!! I got a second opinion from a different doctor which told me it actually does take up to 12-18 months to feel back to normal and for internal organs to be healed. So don't over do anything and avoid straining. Wish you the best! And hope you have a speedy recovery!!
Unread 06-22-2015, 08:01 PM

I'm about four months out. I've had pain while laying down. I wake up all night with pain where my ovaries were. Had a TAH BSO. Also had a seroma. I am also having odd pain near that part of the incision and there's a hard lump that hurts at times. Oddest thing, I was kicking down the the recliner and I felt a terrible strain inside. It's hurt since. I'm going to the doctors tomorrow.
Unread 06-22-2015, 10:17 PM

I am just about a year and a half and I started to be myself about a month ago. I had a vertical so it sometimes takes longer but I have chronic pain so I knew it would take longer.. I also had the numbness and pain and itchiness and swelly belly. I was also tired after working 8 hours. I went to bed early every night. Around 8 months, I was so tired. My doc said up to a year but everyone is different.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register