Long-term post hysterectomy: figure/waist changes? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Long-term post hysterectomy: figure/waist changes? Long-term post hysterectomy: figure/waist changes?

Unread 12-04-2010, 08:35 PM
Long-term post hysterectomy: figure/waist changes?

I am scheduled to have my hysterectomy this month. I seem to be obsessing about my figure changing after the surgery. It doesn't help that I saw a certain foundation's video on youtube talking about how hysterectomy changes the pelvic region and changes the waistline/ribcage.

I am very fit and exercise doing running/yoga/weight-lifting daily. I'd love to hear from others out there if they kept their figure or had changes post-surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-04-2010, 09:03 PM
Re: Long-term post hysterectomy: figure/waist changes?

I can't speak for myself right now as I am only 5 weeks post-op and I don't know what the end results will be but some of my co-workers had this done years and years ago and they have a great figure. What I have noticed is that my waist is a lot smaller because the huge football sized fibroid is gone. Stomach is smaller but it looks gross due to the kangaroo pooch that I can't decide whether it is fat or swelling. Only time will tell but I am hopeful that with continued walking, it will end up looking like something I can live with.
Unread 12-04-2010, 09:43 PM

I'm over 6 years post-op and I can say that I like my figure more now. My waist is more defined and my tummy is flatter. I have lost weight since my surgery and I'm happier with the way I look...well except that I'm 6 years older.

I wish you the very best for a successful surgery and smooth recovery!

Deb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-04-2010, 09:57 PM

I am 4 yrs post op and I have always been skinny and in shape and still am. Try not to let a few scary stories upset you. If you eat right and exercise you should be fine! Blesings to you
Unread 12-05-2010, 08:20 AM

Ok. Thank you for the input. I used to be overweight and flabby. I've worked so hard to lose weight and get my figure, the thought of it going away saddens me.
Unread 12-05-2010, 09:41 AM

Most of the post-op women I know personally train at my dojo (martial arts school). They're all in great shape.
Unread 12-05-2010, 09:59 AM

It's been 14 months since my surgery, and I'm glad to report that my appearance has not changed. There's a small pouch over my vertical incision, but even that has gotten somewhat better over time.

When you first get out of surgery, it might look as though you've lost your waistline due to fluid buildup. Don't let that concern you; it's temporary.

I've settled in at about 7 pounds lighter than I was prior to surgery, and have no complaints.
Unread 12-05-2010, 01:17 PM

Hi CinqueTerre2011,

I had my hyst six years ago now..and my figure and weight are at an ideal size for my height. I go to the gym 3-4 times a week...and if anything...I lost the puffy and bloated stomach I had from fibroids.

I took several years when I was younger...to lose 100 lbs...by healthy eating and exercising...and I can understand your concerns about weight gain.

In post-op, I can suggest...eat healthy, drink lots of water...to prevent a UTI...and get some walking in when you feel up to it. I did some light walks in my first 6 weeks post-op...and I think it helped with my overall recovery. I returned to my normal gym routine at 6 weeks post-op.

~Best wishes

Mary
Unread 12-05-2010, 08:08 PM
Long-term post hysterectomy: figure/waist changes?

I watched that video. It is bs. Sorry but I am a medically trained professional and I looked into that and it is all crap. I wish that person had never made that video. Not like we are not going through enough this stupid person wants to go scare the crap out of those of us that need it. Ugh.
Keep staying in shape girl.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register