Epidural Questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Epidural Questions Epidural Questions

Unread 02-05-2005, 07:08 PM
Epidural Questions

Hello,

My surgery (myomectomy or possibly subtotal hysterectomy) is on Monday the 7th. I asked my doctor about an epidural instead of general anesthesia and he thought it was a good idea, especially with pain management after surgery. I have never had one before. He said they would give me a shot first to numb the area and then put the epidural in. Has anyone had this done? How is the pain? Any tips? Thanks!

P.S. How was your pain level with the epidural?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2005, 08:39 PM
Epidural Questions

That is what I will ask for instead of the general.But I will ask also for light sleep with it..I dont know if this would compare to the epidurals I had with both my c-sections where I was awake and felt absoulutly nothing!!!Hope so...But As a plus ,the pain level for atleast the next day in my case was low.I had VERY POSITIVE exp with epidurals and From the info I have gathered from this website pretty much all the women who have opted for this are glad they did so Im going to do it!!!! As far as when they put it in I remember there being a quick sting __not bad and some pressure but I remember thinking "man,is that all there is to it???" because I had some worry about how painful it would be also...By the way,isnt this a great thaw we are having this week?? I even went outside without a coat today!!
Unread 02-05-2005, 10:20 PM
Epidural Questions

I've had a couple of epidurals. One really hurt going in, the other did not. So that part really can vary. Of course, once it goes in, you don't feel anything, at least from the waist down.

As far as having one for a hysterctomy, quite honestly I didn't want to be awake for it. I didn't want to feel as though anyone in the operating room had to entertain me while surgery was going on, and I really didn't want to hear comments being made about me ("Have you ever seen one like this before?" "No, can't say I have...."). Just a little too much for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2005, 11:45 PM
Epidural Questions

I had a spinal with "light" sleep. This is what my anesthesiologist recommended for me as we spoke just before I went "under".

It burned and stung a little as they put the needle in my back. Just a few seconds, that's all it took. Felt my lower body getting warm and then tingly and then numb. The nurse had to lift my legs back onto the operating table. I laid down and the last thing I remember was the nurse saying to me..."Have a nice sleep". I wanted to be knocked out as I just didn't want any memory of the ordeal. Like MJD said...I didn't want to hear any conversations, and cutting, digging, suction noises.....Yuk.

Felt a little nauseated when I woke up to which they administered a gravol drip. Was good to go after that! Was very alert within a couple of hours of the surgery. Feeling came back in my legs.
My doc came in that evening to check on me and said...."My goodness, have you just had surgery...you look great!" Even my visitors said the same thing. Couldn't believe how alert and good I looked.

This method worked for me ... best wishes on a successful "event"!

Sarah
Unread 02-06-2005, 04:23 AM
Epidural Questions

Thank you for your feedback! I did request being put to sleep for the procedure. I don't want to remember anything. My doc assured me they could take care of this. It appears like the best way to go. I really hope it works as well for me as it has for others.

I'm up this morning early, one day to go. I have to start my bowel prep in a few hours - but I think my body is starting that on its own!

Getting more antsy, but I need to get this 'bowling bowl' out of my stomach and hopefully start living a fuller life.

Wish me luck!

P.S. Yes, I am really enjoying the beautiful weather here in Michigan - a little bonus before my surgery!
Unread 02-06-2005, 04:52 AM
Epidural Questions

Hey there, Michigan Sisters It truely is wonderful, this thaw we're having... I think I see some grass?!?!?!? out there... or maybe it's just brown and green snow! LOL

Anyways, I had an epi for my last c-section... thge pain or burning is usually from the local anesthesia they give you before putting in the catheter for the epi. I'n my experience, once the area was numb, all I felt was some pressure and this strange cold/tickling sensation in my tailbone... Last about 25 seconds and then, nothing from just below the armpits down... I was able to feel the pressure of the surgery, but no pain! After the babies were out, they put me under general to tie my tubes and I awoke while being moved from the operating table to the gurney to go to recovery... It's not typical to awaken like that after surgery!!! It's just one of my little quirks, so don't be scared!!!

The epi was nice... I wasn't allowed to keep it for pain management, so I can't comment on that facet.

Try to stay calm today Celtic... Know that there are lots of women around the globe thinking of you as you go in for surgery!

Here's to an uneventful surgery and recovery period for you and all of the other Ladies going in tomorrow!!

All hail the soon to be Princesses!!!

Hip Hip.....

Huzzah!

Hip Hip.....

Huzzah!
Unread 02-07-2005, 11:04 AM
how did it go?

Hi there, Celtic Lover...just wondering how it went and which anesthesia route you chose. I'm thinking about the epidural with light sleep- I've had two C-sections, both with epi's and it went just fine. I actually found it fun to chat with the doctors and nurses although this is a much different procedure...might not want to know everything that's going on! My TAH is this Friday, the 11th and I'm getting a little antsy about the whole thing. Hope you're doing well!
Unread 02-07-2005, 03:02 PM
Epidural Questions

Hello

Just had an epidural w/twilight on Fri 4th (just got home today) for a TAH BSO and thought it was wonderful. I dont even remember getting the epidural, but was totally alert when I went into recovery and when my Mom and husband came in they said I didnt even look like I just had surgery. I was able to have make-up on and felt great other than that lovely hat you have to wear.

I would recommend this for anyone who is able to have it done this way. Pain meds were given before the epidural was taken out and it lasted til the next day.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register