Can I do anything to physically prepare? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Can I do anything to physically prepare? Can I do anything to physically prepare?

Unread 01-24-2008, 01:45 PM
Can I do anything to physically prepare?

Guess this is going to be my new "home" for now. I received a surgery date today (Feb. 27th) for a LAVH with Oophorectomy for a diagnosis of Adenocarcinoma In-Situ and Dysplasia of the squamous cells.

I am an Accountant (self-employed), and as you can probably imagine, this is NOT a good time for this surgery to be hitting. I was wondering if there is anything at all that I can do to physically prepare myself so that I can bounce back as quickly as possible.

I fully expect to be down for numerous weeks, but if I'm at least able to get up and move around and/or sit at my home office desk without feeling woozy as early as possible, it would be a HUGE help. Basically, is there anything that you did or have heard of that has helped someone you know to be in the best possible shape before surgery in order to help facilitate a quick recovery?

Not even sure if there IS such a thing, but I thought I'd ask...

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2008, 01:57 PM

I am 61 and overweight but I am in good "shape" because I exercise five or 6 days a week in water aerobic classes (2 X); pilates (2 X) and weight training once a week. I also do an occasional step aerobics class. I think having a strong "core" from the pilates has helped me the most in my painless recovery. That is my only conclusion of why this has been a piece of cake. I had a TVH with extensive repairs to backside and bladder. I know that the TVH is easiest type of operation to recover from but even so, mine has been extra easy. If you have time--- strengthen your "core" by doing some pilates.

Downyocean but you can call me Kay
Unread 01-24-2008, 05:43 PM

Hi Mimi,

I agree with what Kay is saying . . anything to keep yourself in good shape or to improve it with what little time you have (my surgery is same day as yours!). I am trying to do at least 2 miles walking each day 5 days per week until surgery time.

I had been pretty physically active, cardio a few times a week and pilates a few times a week as well, but I have not felt well since November due to the fibroids and the large size of my uterus. I've decided to "suck it up" and try to get as much exercise as possible, and have been sticking with it for the past few weeks. I can stand to lose about 20 pounds, but I'm not too concerned about my weight as far as the surgery goes.

What I've read on these boards is to get as much rest as possible early on following your surgery with a little walking each day around the house or up and down the driveway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2008, 07:45 AM

Kay - Thanks so much for the tip! I love to do Pilates, though I've gotten out of it lately. I will definitely go back to it a few times a week, at least, between now and then.

Kathy - Hey surgery buddie! I do love to walk, but it's been so daggone COLD here! I'll have to try to find an indoor facility or something... Thanks!! We'll have to keep up with each other during our wait.

I've just been so busy lately that I've found it hard to find time to exercise. Guess I'll start getting up a bit earlier each morning to fit it in. It's just that when I had my LEEP/Cone/D&C back on the 16th, it took me an entire week to feel better when my doctor said that I should have been up and going again "in a day or two." *sigh*

Oh well...thanks again, ladies!

Anymore tips from anyone??

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register