Is This Normal? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is This Normal? Is This Normal?

Unread 02-07-2005, 09:00 AM
Is This Normal?

I RAN INTO A FRIEND OF MINE YESTERDAY, SHE HAD A TAH/BSO IN NOVEMBER.

SHE SAID THAT THE ONLY THING GOOD FOR HER WAS THE BLEEDING HAD STOPPED. SHE TOLD ME SHE NOW HAS A LOT OF PAIN IN HER BACK AND SIDE.

ALSO THAT SHE HAD TO BE GIVEN 2 PINTS OF BLOOD AFTER SURGERY. SHE SAID THAT AFTER SHE CAME HOME IT WAS SO HARD.......THE ONLY WAY SHE COULD SLEEP WAS IN A RECLINER,
AND THE ONLY WAY SHE COULD GET OUT OF IT WAS WITH A LIFT HER HUSBAND HAS FOR A BAD BACK.
ALSO SHE SAID THAT SHE HAD BEEN TRIED ON 4 DIFFERENT HRT'S, AND COULDN'T TAKE ANY OF THEM.....SO NOW SHE HAS HORRIBLE NIGHT SWEATS.

IS ALL THIS NORMAL?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-07-2005, 10:05 AM
Is This Normal?

Oh my gosh, I sure hope not!
From all the stories I have been reading from the hystersisters, I would say it is not the norm.
Surely there is something more the Drs can do for her pain and discomfort.
Tell your friend - she has new friends lifting her up in prayer!
Unread 02-07-2005, 10:26 AM
Is This Normal?

Hi Missy...

Well, lets say this...no it's not "normal". A normal recovery is you feel better each week that passes (I am almost 6 weeks post op). I have no pain, a twinge now and then but no pain. I sleep fine, BUT I did not have my ovaries removed (BSO) so I cannot speak to the hormone stuff.

There are complications with any surgery. Your health prior to surgery, the actual surgeon performing the surgery, etc...all have alot to do with you recuperation. For instance if your friends hemoglobin was low prior to surgery and she had previous C-Sections she might have had alot of adhesions the doc had to cut away, thus resulting in more than "average" blood loss and required blood after surgery.

MY doc knew I wanted to avoid a blood transfusion IF possible and I did have alot of adhesions, but we were able to avoid it.

Each case is different. I really believe (especially after reading things on this site)...that people as much as we are the same, our bodies are different. There is different vascular and nerves in each of us and I think that with swelling (from the surgery) which is normal for any kind of "trauma" to the body...it presses on nerves in some people and not in others. I have no "scientific" proof to this...but just my gut feeling from reading others post-op experiences.

There are ALOT of us who do very well post op. I am one of them. MY biggest concern was because of being so fat the wound wouldn't heal...but that went pretty much fine.

I had surgery on Tuesday, came home on Thursday, was able to carefully get up and down stairs when I needed to and took pain pills.

Now I know it sounds like "goody" for me, but what I am saying is that bottom line is, any surgery is a risk, which is why we encourage people on this site to get 2nd opinions and make sure its a risk they want to take. Bottom line is, if this is not an emergency surgery or due to cancer....is the quality of your life affected.

Mine was, I was exhausted...I had little "life" because of the bleeding I felt embarrassed to take a chance and go anywhere (it was that heavy). My hemoglobin was dropping more and more every month, contributing of course to my tiredness, but also affecting the oxygen the other organs of my body were getting etc.

I took the risk, had the surgery thinking the best and worst could be. I was blessed with the best.

I am so sorry for your friend, constant pain stinks. I am hoping that she can get some relief!

Peace
Nancy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-07-2005, 11:34 AM
"Normal" Recovery

I agree...this is not the norm at all. I'm five week post op tomorrow and have not had much pain at all. I took pain meds for two days when I came home, and realized that I was not even in any pain. My doc prescribed the vivelle dot, which worked like a charm. I feel ready to jump back into life with renewed enthusiasm, and I look forward to having no more periods, no more pain, pms, etc! Everyone's experience is different, but I hav to say that mine was not bad at all. I anticipated a far worse experience.
Unread 02-07-2005, 02:34 PM
Is This Normal?

I CAN'T TELL YOU HOW GLAD I AM TO HEAR FROM YOU ALL!

WHEW........I FEEL AS IF I CAN BREATHE SOME NOW.....I WAS THINKING I CAN DO THIS , THEN I TALKED TO HER.

SHE HAD NO PREVIOUS C-SECTIONS OR SURGERIES.....LIKE ME.
AND IT SCARED ME!

I KNOW THIS IS WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE IN ORDER FOR ME TO BE ABLE TO GET ON WITH LIFE.......I FEEL AS IF GOD IS GIVING ME A CHANCE TO GET WELL........SO LONG HAVE I BLEED LIKE CRAZY, WATCHED BLOOD COUNT DROP.....LOST HAVE MY HAIR FROM THAT!,
AND SO WEAK AND TIRED THAT I ALWAYS HAVE TO CONSIDER HOW I'M FEELING BEFORE I CAN EVEN LEAVE HOME!

NOT TO MENTION OF BEING IN PUBLIC AND ALWAYS RUNNING TO THE BATHROOM....AFRAID OF RUINING MY CLOTHES....WHICH AS HAPPENED TO MANY TIMES!
Unread 02-07-2005, 02:46 PM
Is This Normal?

Hi,

I just wanted to say missygt that you sound like you were having the same problems as me. I've been severely anemic for years, and I didn't realize it at first because it hadn't been diagnosed until last year. I too lost a lot of my hair and from what I've researched on line about anemia, it can cause hair loss. I'm wondering if it will eventually come back now that we no longer have the source of our blood loss which eventually causes us to be anemic.

I had a TVH on January 17, 2005 and so far, except for some occasional twinges, swelly belly and that pressure feeling, I'm pretty sure it was the right thing to do. I also could not leave home unless I knew there was a bathroom I could use and I had loads of supplies with me. Vacations were just out of the question. Towards the end a super plus tampon along with a maxi pad would only last anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes.

Tell your friend we will be praying for her that everything works out for her.
Unread 02-07-2005, 03:07 PM
Probably tired of replies

but this one caught my eye as my TAH/RSO was in November (LSO was done 11 years prior so I have NOTHING, YAY!). I also required a blood transfusion after surgery (3 unit). The only surgery I had was the outpatient laparascopic to remove left ovary and tube in '93 so was my first time also having any surgery like this. No C-sections for me, either. Some of what your friend was normal BUT also passed. I slept my first week home, of course I did! With having organs removed and requiring blood, was only natural. We are all different and that may have been the only way comfortable for your friend to sleep, my bed was fine for me but I have read on here some prefer recliner for a while.
I did get better each week, I was surprised at slow the initial recovery was and infuriated me at times as I was in the mindset for a while that "OK, surgery DONE. Lets GO NOW (doing things I haven't been able to do pre-op for years)" and was ready to go but forgot my body was (and still is) recovering from major trama.
I am almost at week 14 and the initial part is over and I feel good. I was warned about pain may still be there (warned before surgery about this) but would most likely be lessoned as I have had a little pain where they did the most work but NOTHING like pre-op. Your friend may have had more work done on one side or the other so it will take longer to feel better and heal. You friend may also be overdoing it on the days she feels the pain more, I know that is true for me. She could also have internal scar tissue and/or adhesions- a risk with ANY surgery. She is still healing. I am sure you have read on here it can take 6 months to one year to heal from this and if we need to rest no matter how far out we are, we should listen to our bodies and try to rest if circumstances make it possible.
Try to not allow someone else's recovery affect your attitude about your own, we are all different and have different bodies and circumstances and even different attitudes about this surgery and ourselves. Positive attitude goes a LONG way I have found including how we view our recovery from this surgery.
I hope I have not offended you or anything, just felt like sharing as I am also another November who had a transfusion....Not my intent to make anyone feel bad, just the opposite
Wishing you well on the 10th and a smooth recovery. I hope you will post after you get home....
Unread 02-07-2005, 03:18 PM
Is This Normal?

BY NO MEANS HAVE YOU OFFENDED ME, I AM SO GLAD TO GET ALL THE IMPUT I CAN.

MY FRIEND MAY HAVE VERY WELL STARRTED BACK TO A HEAVY WORK LOAD TO QUICKLY, SHE WORKS AT A LOCAL DEPT. STORE, GENERAL LABOR.......LIFTING,BENDING, ETC.
SHE WAS JUST 6 WKS. POST-OP, OR A LITTLE MORE.

.......EDANA.....JUST LIKE YOU, SUPER PLUS TAMPONS &SUPER PADS TOGETHER JUST LASTED ABOUT 20 MIN. FOR ME TOO.

KEEP ME IN YOUR PRAYERS THURSDAY MORNING !
Unread 02-07-2005, 03:34 PM
HeeHee

I think Thursday is a 'fine' day for hyst., mine was also on a Thursday and I will be thinking of you and looking for your posts post-op!!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register