Want to hear about 9/29 LSH? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Want to hear about 9/29 LSH? Want to hear about 9/29 LSH?

Unread 10-01-2006, 05:51 AM
Want to hear about 9/29 LSH?

I got a call Thursday and they said next day’s surgery was moved up from 2 to 1. So I arrived at the castle at 11 and was told it was moved up again to 12:30. Well those are good developments because as we all know, waiting is the hard part. But if you have a cell phone, it’s a good idea to give the medicos your cell # in case they change your time. I wasn’t even home the night before the surgery.

A nurse put an anti-nausea patch behind my ear to prevent nausea from the anesthesia. He said to leave it on for three days (that’s how long they’re active). He said they are especially helpful to people who are prone to motion sickness. The side effect is VERY dry cotton-mouth. So dry it’s hard to eat or talk. I brought a case of seltzer water to the hospital and was continually sipping water.

I was only catheterized during the surgery. By the time I came around, the catheter was out and I had three very small incisions (LSH). I went into surgery anemic from last weekend’s hemorrhage so I received one unit of blood during the surgery, which I was told to expect beforehand.

My doctor instructs the floor nurses to keep her patients on a good dose of oxycontin and Motrin, and I must say, the drugs did keep me pretty comfortable. I didn’t realize how much those drugs were doing, until I allowed them to wear OFF at home! They put compression boots on me in the hospital. They fill with air periodically and sort of massage your calves, and it’s supposed to prevent blood clots. I was out by the next day with a Rx for percocet and instructions to stay on the Motrin.

I’m feeling pretty good. I get up out of a chair the same way a 9 month pregnant woman does. Doc said there are no internal stitches – it’s all coagulation. Two of the external stitches are being held closed with tape and one has a few stitches. That’s it for stitches. I think a lot of the discomfort I’m feeling is coming from trapped gas. Once in a while I’ll pass a huge amount of gas and then feel ahhhhhh such relief.

For some reason surgery leaves you breathing shallow. You have to consciously remember to take deep breaths.

After I got home from the hospital, my DH built a fire in the fireplace (it’s a cold cloudy day) and put the recliner in front of the fire, and the cat sat with me but not on my incision, and there I stayed all night.

So, hopefully this info may help the Ladies-In-Waiting or you may find it reassuring. Compared to what we’ve been through leading up to the surgery, the actual surgery is a piece of cake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-01-2006, 06:40 AM

Thanks for posting. I glad you're doing so well. Sitting in front of the fire sounds sooo nice!

Jeannine
Unread 10-01-2006, 07:00 AM

Sounds like you sailed right through it all. Congratulations. The fire sounds wonderful here in Texas. We will have a high of 95 today. Take care of yourself!

Rhonda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-01-2006, 08:02 AM
A Happy Story

Oh Jandybee, thanx for the telling of your experience. We should all be so lucky. Sounds like you had a very excellent surgeon and a wonderful hospital staff. Loved hearing the specifics. Continue to take care and heal.
MargieClare
Unread 10-01-2006, 09:53 AM

Hi! So glad you are doing well. I had my LSH the day before you. Sounds like our experiences were very similar except no nausea patch for me - they gave me something in my IV in recovery - and no extra blood needed. Also I was on a morphine pump but I never used it and I hadn't used any painkillers since I've been home until last night when I got a migraine.

I know what you mean about the getting up like you are very pregnant. I'm getting better about that each day. I found that taking a little walk on flat areas outside really helps the gas pains and helps keep your bowels moving well.

I have been so thankful I was able to have the LSH. This has been so much easier than I expected. I have to keep reminding myself to not overdo it.

Rest well!!
Unread 10-01-2006, 11:46 AM

Hi JandyBee,

Best wishes with your LSH recovery.

Mary
Unread 10-01-2006, 04:57 PM
LSHers...remember to breathe :-)

Glad to hear that both of you late Sept. LSH ladies are doing so well!

One thing I wish I had been told is to sit up or stand and breathe deeply every hour or so in the first couple of weeks. It is very tempting to take shallow breaths, so remind yourself to breathe. I didn't know that and got run down with insomnia, loss of appetite, then pleurisy...and I think breathing better and walking more would have helped.

FWIW, I took Gas-X and Milk of Magnesia as needed that first week or so. Walking does help and even if you're not hungry make sure you eat a little something (even if it's just yogurt or some kind of protein), and drink your water.

Best of luck with your recovery!

Deb
Unread 10-01-2006, 05:21 PM

Glad to hear that all went smoothly for you. I haave a question tho.

With a LSH, is there less internal bruising? ~Anju
Unread 10-01-2006, 06:13 PM

I too had the same type of experience with my LSH. I did not have any pain meds in my IV...I was surprised by that. When I took my first walk, about 4 hours after surgery, I asked the nurse if I was getting pain meds and she told me no, it was just saline! Amazing. At that time, I did ask for a pain pill and received Oxicondone.

I have to say that I really haven't felt pain as much as discomfort from time to time. Other than the ride home, which wasn't fun. You feel every bump in the road ;-)

The only time I felt nauseous was in the elevator when they took me for a CT scan. The Dr. saw something on my liver which turned out to be a benign cyst. Anyway, that was about an hour after I got to my room, so I was still full of anesthesia. The initial movement of the elevator from floor to floor made me woozy. Of couse, it stopped on every one of the four floors! LOL!

I drank sooo much water in the hospital. My night nurse probably thought I was a camel or something. They gave me a 500ml bottle filled with ice water and I downed about 5 of them during the night. I am surprised that they didn't make me sleep on the toilet LOL!

The evening of surgery, I got up to go to the bathroom and while sitting there, I realized that the people over in the offices had a perfect view of my on the toilet LOL! I could see them, they could see me.

I don't know if all of the rooms at the hospital are private, but all of them in the short stay wing, where I was, were. My pre-op room wasn't. It was nice not to have to share a room with anyone and be interupted by their visitors or bad sleeping habits. ;-)

All in all, it went really well and so quick! I cannot believe that I will be 2 weeks post-op tomorrow!
Unread 10-01-2006, 06:24 PM

I didn't have any shallow breathing experiences. Guess it's the big ole lungs inside that help me through that! But mmmm, the leg compression things were nice. I'd forgotten about them. Kind of a hands-off calf rub. Niiiiice.....

Best wishes ~

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register