Scheduled TLH One or two weeks before returning to work? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

One or two weeks before returning to work? One or two weeks before returning to work?

Unread 09-22-2010, 09:06 AM
One or two weeks before returning to work?

So I'm kinda stuck right now. Total Laproscopic Hysterectomy and Cystectomy (removing a cyst from my right ovary, trying to save both ovaries) is scheduled for Monday, the 27th of September. I have a VERY active job. Physically demanding. I do HAZMAT work. I climb, crouch, lift, bend, and sometimes need to carry over 50 pounds. I was in the Army, so normally, that's easy and I really love being active. I'm also 30 years old, and I hope for a quick recovery.

That being said... I was planning to go back to work (with some restrictions, yes) exactly one week after surgery. My doctor is really trying to encourage me to take two weeks off, but she's not ordering it.

I know I like to push my limits. If I think I can do something, I'm prone to trying it. I feel that if I set a date for myself to return to work on the 4th of October, I WILL do it, regardless of how I'm feeling. So I'm not sure what to do.

I also know that I'm definitely staying one overnight in the hospital, but my insurance has approved two nights. I also know that some women go home same-day after a laproscopic procedure. I'm wondering if I go home, will I over-do it? Or is going home ASAP the best thing I can do for myself? It's up to the doctors, of course, but I'm wondering about it.

But mostly... I'm trying to decide if I should take one week or two weeks off from work. I'm really uncertain. I know that nobody here can give me a solid answer, because it's up to me and my doctor, but can people who have had similar procedures tell me how their recovery went? Does one week seem reasonable? Or would I be pushing my luck with a one-week return? How long until you returned to work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-22-2010, 09:36 AM
Re: One or two weeks before returning to work?

Toto2, I had a LSH Sept 13 and am in my second week of recovery. By day 5-6 I felt pretty darn good and thought that I would be in pretty good shape to start back to work. I do home health physical therapy which involves alot of driving, squatting, lifting, etc., so I have been concerned about how much time to take off. Anyway, after feeling good those last few days, I ended up in bed feeling exhausted and depressed all day yesterday which I certainly wasn't expecting. Now I think I may take a 3rd week, just to make sure Im not overdoing it, because once I start back to work, I won't be able to change my mind. Just be careful when you start to feel really well in a few days, because fatigue and unexpected pain can show up when you least expect it. Food for thought.
Unread 09-22-2010, 09:47 AM

Hmmm... so it's possible that taking two weeks nice and slow, with gradual increases in activity, will facilitate a stronger return to work with fewer setbacks. Thank you VERY much for the advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-22-2010, 10:41 AM

my doctor did not even let me drive for the first two weeks. on week three when I did drive I was shocked at how many muscles you use just to do that. I was off work for a little over 4 weeks and was very sore in the core muscles after going back to work. Tired after work is an understatement. I wish you well!!
Unread 09-22-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chermar1964 View Post
my doctor did not even let me drive for the first two weeks. on week three when I did drive I was shocked at how many muscles you use just to do that. I was off work for a little over 4 weeks and was very sore in the core muscles after going back to work. Tired after work is an understatement. I wish you well!!
Hi Cheryl! Thanks for the info!

Question - was your procedure laproscopic?

My doctor doesn't want me to drive for two weeks, either. But again, it depends on how I feel overall, she said.

So many things to consider... so many variables.

Oh, also, because I work at the Medical Center where I'm having it done, and so does my wife, we're privy to inside information. I just found out that the hospital's beds are near capacity. So, there's a chance that they might try to pressure me out early. My doc had agreed to keep me until my wife gets out of work at 4:30 PM, so that she wouldn't have to miss work (she's in the Clinical Lab, where they run stuff like blood tests and such, and they're VERY short-staffed right now), but I don't know what to do if they try to send me home early. My wife can't leave the lab without enough coverage, and I really don't want anyone else taking me home.

*sigh*
Unread 09-22-2010, 07:37 PM

My Dr warned me about early lifting causing internal sutures to rip out, so I think the lifting restriction would be key to follow. I was more tired than I expected to be. I planned to go back early but I'm glad I didn't, it was better for me to be more rested up. I tired easily for weeks. Everyone is different but I'd encourage you to not rush it. On going home---personally I was too sleepy and nauseated to leave that day, but the next day was fine. I know some ladies are fine going home same day. If you are nauseated or not getting good pain control be sure to speak up so they keep you. Best wishes it all goes well for you.
Unread 09-22-2010, 07:52 PM

I had a TLH 2 weeks ago today. I thought id be ready to go back in 1 week but my dr decided not to release me til i was 2 weeks post op, so today was my first day back. I took it as easy as i could and expected it to be a breeze....WRONG. By lunchtime my back and shoulders wers killing me, i had a pain in right side of my abdomen, and i started bleeding- which i havent been. My advice....stay home and rest at least 2 weeks. And when you do go back you may want to work shorter hours the first few days. Your body just went thru major surgery and it needs time to rest and heal.
Unread 09-22-2010, 07:55 PM

If your interested- go take a peek at the post op forum and you'll find some posts from some sisters that went back to work at different points in the recovery and you can read some of their experiences. That may help you decide what to do.
Unread 09-22-2010, 07:58 PM

Please do NOT go back to a physically demanding job within two weeks!!!!!! I am a teacher who is physically active, getting up/down from floor, going up stairs, pushing a cart, carrying heavy books/baskets and I could not physically do any of that for most of four weeks after a daVinci procedure. Just getting in and out of the car was just manageable after four weeks. Turning around to back up was painful and was practically impossible; my body just couldn't move that way. Sitting down and getting back up was tiring and I just had to put my feet up most of the day. Being upright is not easy and you must give yourself time to heal. In addition, you won't be wearing your regular clothes at 2, 3 or even 4 weeks post op. You won't be able to button any of your pants. And your clothes will get tighter as the day progresses and you will feel worse.
I had a very simple daVinci procedure and am feeling great at 4 months post op. I am running 4x a week, in the best shape in years and have lost weight BUT that is only because I took more than SIX weeks to recuperate. I could not have done any of it if I had rushed back to work.
Please take it easy!
Unread 09-22-2010, 08:02 PM

I agree with the 2 weeks. I had a laparascopic procedure and I have felt great since waking up in the recovery room. However, after the first week, I finally felt like I could concentrate for more than 10 minutes at a time. Before that I felt a little "scatterbrained" -- never anything bad, just really didn't want to concentrate for too long on any one thing. I am not a tv watcher, but did during that time because I didn't really feel like reading a book (which I LOVE to do!)
I went back after 18 days and the first day kicked my butt. I put in my 8 hours and then had a 20 min drive home and by the time I got home, all I wanted to do was just sit in the easy chair and relax.
Take the 2 weeks....you won't regret it! My boss always says to me, "When we are on our death bed, I bet we don't say, 'dang, wish I could have worked more' " and he's right. Take the time to heal right the first time and when you go back you will be back for the long haul. Not having to take a week off after you've been back for a few days.
Best of luck to you!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register