When did you get to DRIVE????? - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

When did you get to DRIVE????? When did you get to DRIVE?????

Unread 08-03-2007, 08:49 AM
When did you get to DRIVE?????

[quote=Gaylah]<laughs softly with a pillow> You are brave! Letting your teenager drive you around

Well, best of luck on driving with DH
I went to Dr. on Wed. for app. and I was suppose to ask her about driving and wouldn't you know it, I was walking out of the building and my DD says "so can you drive now?"
I can't believe I TOTALLY forgot to ask, so I think I need to get some brain surgery next........

I don't really need to drive yet so I guess I'll wait 2 more weeks to ask at my 6 wk check up............I figure I'll just write on my forhead "can I drive" so I won't forget to ask...........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-11-2007, 10:17 PM

The doctor said 2 weeks but I waited for 3 just to make sure...The grocery store was 5 minutes away.....But listen to your body------it'll tell you when the right time is. I had an 8 in. vertical incision too.

Gatlandi
Unread 08-11-2007, 10:40 PM

Uh oh. I was a bad girl. My doctor told me in the hospital it would probably be 4 weeks. I waited a week and a half and had to drive myself to the clinic to get checked for a bladder infection cuz no one else was around. I had been off of all pain meds for a few days by then. I did fine but I drove the automatic instead of my stick shift. I told the Dr. that I drove myself and he said he was glad I went to get checked out. He didn't say anything about not dirving. At my 2 week check-up, I didn't ask. But I didn't have an abdominal incision to deal with and I know those are painful cuz I had one with my c-section. I've been driving for a while now but not on the freeway. The traffic in southern Calif. is horrendous and I am glad to put off getting into a jam for as long as possible!
Unread 08-12-2007, 06:55 AM

At my two week check, my doctor said he couldn't stop me from driving but he'd rather I wait. I waited until five weeks and have not had any problems. Up until then, I was uncomfortable even riding in a car! I live in a small town so my trips are short, haven't tried any long distance driving yet.
Unread 08-12-2007, 08:10 AM

I started after two weeks per doc's okay. It's interesting; Thursday evening (so that's four and a half weeks post op) i had to get DD at a friend's and going around the on/off ramps of highways....there were some tweaks and twinges still in my tummy / abdominal cavity.........so just when one thinks she is doing fine ya never know when something will go 'hey, remember, you had a hysterectomy July 9th, lady, slow it down!'............

I only used a pillow the first week or so between tummy and abdomen.

I try to remind people I can't drive to Duluth (I wish.....but I couldn't lift a suitcase for the trip ) or other long distances when they are begging for rides or want to go on a 'road trip'............

Happy Sunday everyone as you continue to heal.
Unread 08-13-2007, 09:53 AM

Doctor Opie says I can drive after my de-stapling appointment.
Unread 08-13-2007, 12:18 PM

Well I tested it out today for the first time and it seemed to be alright.

I backed outta the drive and felt alright so I tooled around the block a few times which puts me on a main highway where there can be some nasty traffic.

Bumps and chuckholes still are uncomfortable but I was able to turn either way and slam either pedal.

I could feel it though and Im sure it will be a bit tender tommorow but it sure felt good to get out behind the wheel again alone!

Hope all is going well with you ladies as well!! <3 <3

Gaylah
Unread 08-13-2007, 04:39 PM
3 weeks

...but I took someone with me, and only drove when essential for 5 weeks.
Unread 08-13-2007, 06:36 PM

I had my 2 week check today and was cleared to drive, so after my appointment, which dh took me to, I made about a 10 minute trip to see my mom. I did ok but I diffenently had to take it slow. I honestly could tell my reaction time was slower. I won't be making a habit of running every day, I'll just keep the trips VERY short. I'm pretty wiped out tonight. My advice is when the doctor clears you to drive make it short and sweet.

daisy
Unread 08-13-2007, 08:52 PM

My Dr. told me I could drive at 2 weeks, when I was able to stamp my foot down" like slamming the brakes and It not hurt.Dh wouldnt let me drive till 7 weeks cuz he knew I wasnt up to it yet!everytime I would put my foot down kinda hard but not really It hurt!! Everyone is different in how fast they are able to do things, you'll be able to git-n- go before you know it!
When you do be careful you can tire very easily!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register