? @ internal exam post-op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

? @ internal exam post-op ? @ internal exam post-op

Unread 05-15-2007, 05:02 PM
? @ internal exam post-op

I went in today for my 6 week check up and he did an internal exam. I explained to him the pains I am having and he said it was normal. After he did the exam he said everything was OK besides having a full bladder. Now, 5 minutes before that I went to the bathroom and there is no way that it was full.

Has anyone had anything similar or know what it might be. He doesn't want to see me back until July but I just don't feel right about the full bladder deal. I told him I just went to the bathroom and he just insisted that it was full.

Hope everyone is recovering well. All are in my prayers.

Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-15-2007, 06:25 PM

It can fill up quickly depending on when and how much you drank. I have had that happen t me before when having a vaginal ultrasound. I had just gone and it filled up right after that.

I hope that helps.
Unread 05-15-2007, 07:21 PM

I would call his office and talk to the nurse. You may be having problems emptying your bladder which causes the pain. You can ask for them to check your residual urine amount. What that means is you use the restroom and then they do a catheter to check the amount of urine left. The other alternative is if they have a bladder scanner (ultrasound just to calculate urine volume).

The bladder can fill quickly, think baick to how much you had drank and the time your urinated and then when he checked. Did you tell him you had just gone to the bathroom?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-15-2007, 08:13 PM

It happens to me. I go, and just a few minutes later I'm ready again. I went in for my 4 wk. on Monday and told him about the sleep I'm being robbed of. i get up faithfully every 2 hours to go to the bathroom. Doc. says that bladder infections are common after this kind of surgery so he sent me to the lab. Haven't heard back.
He also said that since I had some repair done concerning my bladder, that could contribute. It takes time for a body that has been traumatized to get back in sinc.

Don't let it pass. Be aware of how much drinking you're doing and how often you're going. My opinion, never leave the dr's. office untill your question has been answered with an acceptable response. Acceptable to YOU!
Unread 05-15-2007, 08:48 PM

I had the same problem!!! Turns out after LOTS of expensive test that I have nerve damage to the back side of the bladder. DO NOT let it pass!!! Get answers!!! I am on Amitriptolyne for it, and it helps some. I was on Vesicare with DID help the frequency, and I wasn't getting up at night to go anymore. I would ask for a referal to a Urologist to see what and why this is going on!! HUGGGGGGGS! I know exactly the pain you are having!!! (I voided 180 cc's, then they cathed me and got out 160 cc's! and boy was that a relief to actually feel empty for the first time post-op!) Hope this helps!
Unread 05-16-2007, 05:50 AM

I had the same problem. Before I went in to see my Uro/Gyn I gave the nurse a urine
sample and also peed alot then when Doc came in he did residual because I had
problems with my bladder after surgery and boy he said my bladder was full. So I
had to start and cath my self for a while but had no other issues like that again. I am
10 weeks post op and feel really good except pain around my rectem area but doc said
all is ok. So I guess itsnormal for now.
Unread 05-16-2007, 08:03 AM

Wow, thank you all for the quick response. I just felt very dissatisfied and uneasy when I left his office. It's the first time that I felt like I was just swept under the rug or something.

I do have a urologist. I think I will call him.

All my Gyn said was "well you just had surgery" like who cares. I am not even on any HRT. I guess he figures I am superwoman and don't need them. I am going to my GP tomorrow. Maybe I will get some answers there.

Will let you know how it goes. You guys are great!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register