biopsy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 05-10-2008, 11:11 AM
biopsy

hi. i just went to the dr. yesterday b/c the Mirena that was put in for me isn't working. it was a last chance thing for me, before resorting to surgery. i have no other option - i have to have surgery. from everything that i told him about, he says the chances of my having cancer are very strong now........

the catch is - i have to have a biopsy first. i have no insurance. the dr. wants $250 up front to do it - no payment arrangements or anything. all of it up front. of course i don't have that. so, instead, let a woman have cancer and the dr. won't do anything about it just because she can't pay for it. so, what's the option? he wanted to do it yesterday, but obviously, i couldn't do it.

so, worst case scenario - i have cancer and no money, so what's the last option left? not one that's good.

opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-11-2008, 08:27 PM
biopsy

Hi angelfly

I'm so sorry things are complicated. A second opinion is always a good idea with major medical decisions. I understand the financial challanges, though. Perhaps another MD would be more willing to work on a payment plan. A neighbor of ours took out a personal bank loan for some of her medical expenses rather than put them off. I hope something works out for you soon.

Sending gentle s your way.
Beth
Unread 05-12-2008, 06:02 PM
biopsy

Hi angelfly,
I'm so sorry that you're going through all this! I'm curious--
1) What makes the doc think that your chances of having cancer are very strong? Did he/she do other tests? Did you have an abnormal pap?...??
2) Why does he/she want to do the biopsy if the suspicions are that strong? I know a number of insurance companies want the biopsy as well as some other tests done before they authorize the procedure. They also want to know that other avenues have been explored (it appears that you've done that). It sounds like you don't have insurance so I'm wondering his reasoning for wanting this if you're leaning toward the surgery anyway.
I am not a doctor so I would not 2nd guess his/her's opinion. Have you gotten a 2nd opinion. I agree with Beth that maybe you could see someone else for that 2nd opinion that might be more willing to work with you. Also, maybe talk to your local hospital about financial assistance programs they may have. My son (21 yrs) & his roommate were screwing around with some airsoft guns & he took a pellet to his eyeball. He has a policy with a $1000.00 deductible but didn't have the money to take care of his bill up front. I told him to call the hospital & explain that he lived on a limited income & did they have any programs or aid that he could apply for. The answer was yes & he got approved for a program that he made a $50.00 copay for the visit & was done. He still had to pay the eye doctor for his follow up visits. My point I guess is that there is help and alternatives out there if you look for them.

Wishing you the best,
Sue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-12-2008, 07:10 PM
biopsy

Sue & Beth:

Thank you for writing back. I have gone for many opinions. He's my third doctor in 6 yrs. All 3 have said the same thing - I HAVE to have the surgery. The reason for the biopsy is to determine if it is cancer and if so, then what the next step would be as far as after surgery.

I guess the reason for thinking it could be cancer I guess is b/c of everything I've told him I'm going through right now. I'm losing weight (heaven knows from where, b/c I sure don't see it), I'm losing hair like crazy for some strange reason, all I want to do is sleep. I can barely get through a day at my regular job - and I've taken a leave of absence from my 2nd job (Wal-mart). I just don't have any energy whatsoever to stand up for hours on end, working. I have been going thru little anxiety issues, feeling like I'm going to have a nervous breakdown at any given moment. I can cry at the drop of a hat. I guess he just wants to rule it out maybe.

I don't have insurance. My parents are actually going to pay for the biopsy. And I'm putting an application in for the state's medical program for low income. It's pretty sad that I'm working 2 jobs, and am still qualified low-income. But, I guess it'll work in my favor.

I guess everything's on hold for me until I get the test results back. I go in next Monday (19th) for the biopsy. Please pray that it comes back negative!

Thanx for listening. It helps to know there are people out there that know what it's like.
Unread 05-12-2008, 09:30 PM
biopsy

Hi angelfly,
I will DEFINITELY keep you in my prayers. Your symptoms could be indicative of any number of things. I, too, was nervous when the word "biopsy" came up. The good thing is that my doctor told me 9 out of 10 times the biopsy comes back negative. I will pray that, like me, your results are negative. Hang in there & let us know how things go! You have lots of support & people that care here!
Blessings,
Sue
Unread 05-13-2008, 08:11 AM
biopsy

Angelfly

Glad you have a plan for your medical situations and hope you get good news. < Saying a for you now that it will be. My GYN reminded me that my endo biopsy wasn't being done b/c he thought I had cancer, but just needed to have it ruled out before knowing how to proceed. I hope the wait goes by quickly for you.

Beth
Unread 05-13-2008, 08:59 AM
biopsy

Angelfly,
I'm glad you have someone to help you pay for the biopsy. I will keep you in my also. Good Luck

Sherrie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register