Possible Incision Infection Day #17 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Possible Incision Infection Day #17 Possible Incision Infection Day #17

Unread 10-10-2009, 11:54 AM
Possible Incision Infection Day #17

Hi everyone---I was doing very well incision-wise. Yesterday was my first day to drive and go anywhere, so I put on some loose jeans instead of my usual gown....Other than feeling a little lightheaded, I did fine! it was SOOOO nice to get out in the Fall sunshine.

Each morning when I inspect my incision (11 inches long, post- TAH) it is dry, pink and looks "ok" other than being "ugly". I am a large gal, 5'4, 255 lb so I have quite an overhang of belly unfotunately, but I have been [u]meticulous in keeping the area clean and dry, fans, etc...

This morning, I was SHOCKED to look and there was a very red area on about a 3 inch area of the incision! There are no red streaks, no pain, not hot, I have no fever and have not had increased temp at all the whole 17 days. Scared me spitless! I took a shower, and then used a Qtip with 1/2 hydrogen peroxide, 1/2 water, then put some Bacitracin on (very little) and a Telfa pad.........took an extra large dose of Olive Leaf Extract and probiotics....

Anyway, I KNOW the answers here will be "see your doctor Monday"---he is 100 miles away, but I will call Monday. My husband is so awful about this whole thing he does not want to hear one word about anything happening to me and in fact we are close to divorce at any time....sad. He will not even take out the trash without an argument..and that is ALL he does..

So, my question is this---am I doing the right thing until I call in Monday with this--does anyone know if using a thin strip of Bacitracin is ok? SHOULD I keep it covered or leave it dry with no underwear? I do use a fan every few hours to dry it out also...I CANNOT go to an ER or ask "him" to do anything, I have no relatives here....he is already griping about l MY expenses---I am self employed and so NO INCOME from me coming in, which also makes "him" furious.......

I know we are not doctors, but would like input ASAP.....I am praying for NO INFECTION......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-10-2009, 02:58 PM
Re: Possible Incision Infection Day #17

Nephesh 56, I am sorry to hear that things are not going so well. Myself, I would keep using the bactricin and leave your incision uncovered. Without any other redness or swelling or swelling, my guess is that the redness is only local. I would still call Dr just to double check. My own SAH was 14 days ago and I have just pink, but years ago when I had my appendix taken out my scar turned redder as it healed then lightened to pink as time went on. Hang in there and do not fail to call your Dr if you get any other symptoms.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register