Starting to Freak Out... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Starting to Freak Out... Starting to Freak Out...

Unread 06-02-2003, 08:59 AM
Starting to Freak Out...

My surgery is Friday and I've been doing just fine with it till Sunday. I started to get jittery and it's just getting worse. My blood pressure is through the roof! After all these years of suffering, I really want the surgery it's just the anesthesia part that worries me. I keep telling myself people have anesthesia every day and they wake up but there's always that few...I just can't get my mind on anything else but the surgery! My DH keeps telling me I need to calm down which just makes me more anxious!! HELP!!! What can I do to calm myself down?? Any suggestions from the Princess' out there? I don't drink and I'd like avoid prescriptions if I can but I need to mellow out.

All of you have been so helpful and supportive! I wouldn't have made it this far without you!

Thank you,

Amy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-02-2003, 09:08 AM
Starting to Freak Out...

{{{{{Amy}}}}}}}}}}

I am the same. But let me tell you. I have had two surgeries this year already, and the first time, I was so scared of being put under. It all worked out fine. It's a TINY percentage of people who don't wake up. If you are basically healthy then you have that in your favor. The second time I was not as scared, and it all went fine. It happens so fast. One minute you are talking to the people in the OR, and then they put that mask on your face and the next thing you know, you wake up in recovery. My surgery is next Wednesday and I am jittery, too, but deep down, I know it will all be fine. You are going to be fine, too!! Please try not to worry. Anesthesia is VERY safe nowadays. S!!!!
Unread 06-02-2003, 09:12 AM
Starting to Freak Out...

Ok...Deep breath...Have you gone for your post-op yet? If not you will get the chance to talkto the anesthesiologist then. Tell him your concerns. There are other options available, I know some princesses have had a spinal and epidural and were just fine--they said they have had NO PAIN!!!! Plus with your blood pressure being so high he might want to do a milder anesthesia anyway. That is what your pre-op is for anyway! Ask any and all questions you want. If you have already had your pre-op I would call your doc and ask what you should do.

Just calm down and DON'T FREAK OUT!!! You are going to be a princess soon!!!

Erika
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-02-2003, 09:17 AM
Starting to Freak Out...

I feel what you are saying. My surgery is scheduled for next Friday (June 13th). I'm freaking out too. I'm shaking like a leaf in heavy wind. Hands are cold too. I can't offer much in the way of advice, but what I can do is send you hugs and kisses. Know that you are no alone in the way you are thinking and feeling. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Endo/Fibrorids/Heavy Bleeding/Powerful Cramps since I was 12 years old

TAH/With Possible BSO

Lisa
Unread 06-02-2003, 09:19 AM
I know how you feel!

Hi! I just wanted to tell you that I know exactly how you're feeling. I've had three surgeries and as silly as it may sound, each time I've been more nervous about the anesthesia than anything! So, my last surgery (in January) I just kind of psyched myself up this way. When I got to the OR and they put me on the table and started to administer the anesthesia, I just kept telling myself in a few minutes I'd be awake and it would be over. That's really what it seems like - one second you're in the OR and the next you are in recovery waking up. I've been telling myself the same thing this time around - "just a couple of minutes and it's over with". Maybe I'm just corny but it helps me to think of it that way. I know there isn't anything people can say to make you feel 100% about it - I don't think any of us Ladies in Waiting are just really looking forward to it! But I hope that you can at least put your mind at ease somewhat. It also helps me to verbalize my fears - so my dh gets to hear all about it all the time lol! I'd just let your dh know that you are trying to "calm down" and that talking things through is part of that process - he can help you "fix it" by just being a great listener. ((HUGS))

LAVH/BSO scheduled for June 10
Unread 06-02-2003, 01:45 PM
Thank you all so much!!!

I'm still jittery but it's eased up since I've been reading your replies! Thank you all so much! I just need to keep taking deep breaths and just get this over with!

Erika I don't have a pre-op visit. I went to the doc's in the beginning of May, they scheduled me and the nurse has continued to answer any questions I've had. I show up Friday at 5:30 AM and we go from there. I don't even know who my anesthesiologist will be yet. The nurse said I'll meet with the doc and anesthesiologist Friday before the surgery and we'll discuss the options then. My last surgery for carpal tunnel wasn't a good experience and I think that's why this surgery is freaking me out. I had my right hand done no problems all went well. My left hand I woke up in the middle of the operation in extreme pain all over my entire body. When they asked me what was wrong I could barely get out that I hurt. They thought my hand hurt and blocked it again. In the meantime the monitors are going crazy, I have tears streaming down my face, I had problems breathing, my blood pressure was low and I couldn't feel my hand for two days!! It was very scary for me and I guess it affected me more than I thought. So I keep trying to tell myself this will be different and all will go well but that flicker of fear keeps hitting me.

Hearing that so many have the same jitters and fears makes me feel better. Also, reading all the sisters that have made it through the anesthesia okay reassures me. I just want Friday to be here and gone already!

Thanks so much for being there for me!

Amy
Unread 06-02-2003, 01:57 PM
Starting to Freak Out...

Hi,

Ive had quite a few major operations and had my hysterectomy in May 2000 - 3 years ago. I am diabetic and have a great fear of being put to sleep for op's, in fact I have a great fear of hospitals!

But I have gone through them all with flying colours - the fear far outweighed the actual process I promise you.

As for my hysterectomy - it was the best operation I ever had, I am so much better and have a life again. I didn't realise how bad I was until after the operation.

So hold tight, you are going through the very worst part at the moment - pre op - soon you will be post op and over the moon:-)

Gillian
Unread 06-02-2003, 04:24 PM
Starting to Freak Out...

Hi,
My anesthesiologist put some happy juice in my IV this time when I had my surgery right in the pre- op area while my husband was still there. I expected it to just make me a little mellow as it had other times but I was talking to my husband and then I was in Post- op. I too have always hated the anesthesia thing but this was great!!Maybe you could ask for a stronger dose of happy juice to take the edge off the fear - I know I will if I ever need more surgery
We all have fears about not waking up - don't beat yourself up about it.Anesthesiologists have the most intensive training of all the specialties - they are the best of the best!!

Please write when you are home from the castle and tell us how it went!!
Love and hugs
Mary
Unread 06-02-2003, 07:33 PM
Starting to Freak Out...

Hey froglegs, I know what you mean! I'm going in tomorrow morning and this afternnoon I was at my wits end until I came here and vented. Sometimes you just need someone to sympathize with you. You will be fine. The waiting is terrible. s
Unread 06-02-2003, 09:16 PM
Starting to Freak Out...

Exercise--the night before I went in I was in the gym zoning out to music and pushing myself hard on the elliptical trainer. I knew it would be awhile till I could work out again so that also made me feel better about doing it. I was nervous about surgery, not anesthe. . . They seem to have made so many advances in the past few years that it's so much safer now. Make sure you tell the anesthesia dr about your past experiences. You mention blood pressure and I had to laugh. I didn't think I was too nervous on my day, when I went in my bp was 120/85, which I said was high for me, the nurse said that's a good bp, don't worry about it. Well after surgery my bp was 85/58 to 95/65. I laughed when I saw my nml bp and realized I was much more nervous than i thought.
Good Luck--Hugs
Tricia

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register