My first post.... Scared straight... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My first post.... Scared straight... My first post.... Scared straight...

Unread 09-21-2005, 12:13 PM
My first post.... Scared straight...

So very thankful I found this site last night... and registered....

Yesterday I was told I have a fibroid the size of a baseball and my surgery is scheduled for one week from today.

There is so much to do that my head is spinning!....

We have 6 children... both of us work full time jobs...

I just can't comprehend what's happening right now.

He can't take off from work for more than a day or two.... WIll I be able to get up out of bed on my own ... to use the restroom etc?

I don't even know where to start -- or what questions I need to be asking...

Any advise, would be greatly appreciated..

Blue in Kentucky...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-21-2005, 12:25 PM

Hi Bluegal,
Welcome to HysterSisters!!! You've come to the right place for answers and great hugs. I'm sure your head is spinning with all this being set on your plate with not much time to think.
If you go to the top of the page and click on "Checkpoints" it will take you to a page with lots of great info.
You didn't say if you were having a tvh or a tah (vaginal or abdominal) but I had a tvh and was able to get to the bathroom on my own. My daughter did stay a couple days with me but I was able to get around on my own pretty well.
Just take things slowly at first. It takes a good 6-8 weeks to recover and hopefully someone can come the first few days just to make sure you're doing ok.
Please don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have...that's what we're here for.

sss
Unread 09-21-2005, 12:35 PM

Thanks Ms. Judy....

I will be having an abdominal --- my dr said he is afraid I would lose too much blood trying to go in vaginally ... ???? .........

I have read & printed the checkpoints at the top---
Very helpful.....

I could REALLY use some of those hugs about now....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-21-2005, 12:50 PM

Here you go

Hang in there, do your research in the time you have prior to surgery and you should be feeling okay about it by the time it happens. Ask friends for favors and ask older children to help out as well. Let them know that if mommy gets a chance to heal properly, she will be even better for them later.

HUGS again. Take it easy!
Unread 09-21-2005, 01:03 PM

Dear Blue....Yes, it's a lot of information to take in, I know.
But one very good thing (trust me ) is that you are going in soon and don't have a lot of time to mull over it. I was diagnosed 6 days before surgery w/ 3 fibroids. One the size of a softball, one a tennis ball size and the last golf ball sized. Big one in uterus, each of the others were in the ovaries. Not good to hear.
I didn't believe it. In the surgeons office I shed a tear and said I couldn`t do it. He said Oh, but you must, you can't live like this.
So, off I went.
The day of I got in my car at 4am (for the one hour drive) and went into the castle for an 8 am surgery. I was so calm I just guess I knew it was the right thing to do.
I have NO memory of the actual procedure, none.
You have 6 children ?? Wow, now I can see that you have majorly different concerns than I did. My son is grown and out on his own and fortunately I work at home.
How old are your children? You'll have to get them all in line and assign them duties.
About coming home: Yes you can get around by yourself. The first day home is where I think, you'll need someone there. You'll feel very delicate, like a little flower. Your world will seem too fast when you walk back into your house.
Main thing you need at home is lots of rest. So set up your recovery room before you leave so you can plunk right into bed and have everything that you need there.

Number one thing to get: An abdominal binder.
I couldn`t have done it w/o one.

You won`t need a lot at the castle. Just personal items that you always want near you. eg; lip gloss, tooth brush,deodorant, 2 in 1 shampoo and conditioner,hair ties etc.
A light robe, slip-on slippers (no reaching down)big waisted jammie pants w/ tops, of course, and a nightie or two.
There's more to say but I don't want to innundate you w/ too much info.
Hope this helps.Keep posting....
HUGS,HUGS,HUGS, and more HUGS.Dianne
Unread 09-21-2005, 01:05 PM

Bluegal, I know what you're going through. I had a TAH 3 1/2 weeks ago. I was in the hospital for 4 days, and by the time I got home I was able to get up and use the bathroom and shower, etc., by myself. Of course, I wanted someone else "at home" in case I fell or something like that (I never did), but they were outside the room. Maybe you could just make sure you get that stuff done before hubby leaves for work in the morning.

I'm feeling really good 3 1/2 weeks out...except for a little itching. I've been walking every day since I got home (it was only to the house next door the first day), and now I'm up to 2 miles (around and around my block).

My tumor was also baseball size, but they originally thought it was an ovarian tumor, so I had that extra worry about cancer. To my delight, they found a fibroid instead.

Good luck...I'll be thinking about you.
Unread 09-21-2005, 01:07 PM
Wow! One week!

I'm so glad you found this website.... I don't know what I would have done without it. It helped me prepare in so many ways. Follow the advise of the sisters who have already posted. Being prepared mentally for this is the first step and getting all the information you can will help with that.

You didn't say what ages your children were...are any old enough to do small chores? If not, maybe friends, coworkers, church members, etc. could help out some. I'm sure that would not mind being asked.

I went to the castle focused on getting through the first 24 hours and getting up to walk. I had a TAH/BSO and was fortunate enough not to have a lot of pain by the second day. I was up and walked to the bathroom as soon as the cath came out...wasn't the easiest walk I've ever had; but, hey, I was mobile. After that I walked as much as I could while at the castle. When I got home (I had already placed a chair beside my bed to assist in getting up), I was able to get to the bathroom and I had a planned "long" route from the bedroom to the kitchen to get water. But the first few days, I slept alot; and I have been taking am and pm naps since. I just get tired quickly. I've turned a blind eye to the housekeeping...my house hasn't been vacuumed in over a month, but, as it is only my husband and me, I figure if it were bothering him, he'd do something about it. Don't get me wrong, he has been great and supportive through this whole ordeal.

I hope my experience will be helpful to you. Don't panic: it's going to be OK. You'll get through it. Also, don't forget to log on and talked with your sisters anytime you need someone to listen or to help.

God Bless.
Unread 09-21-2005, 01:16 PM

Bluegal, I have 3 kids of my own (the youngest 9 months) and I'm going tomorrow for a TVH. I am going to have a little help with my kids while I'm at the hospital but when I get home I'm on my own because my DH works nights. When I get home I will write you asap and tell you how it been (with the kids). You are in my prayers.
Lots of love and great BIG s
Tara
Unread 09-21-2005, 02:04 PM

bluegal,
I to only had a week's notice, I just concentrated on getting everything in order (lisits of what/where kids need I have 4). I also asked, well no I didn't ask I told, friends and family that instead of flowers what I would really like were dinners for DH to prepare for the kids and himself. I have ready made meals in the freezer, and am so happy as my DH has to fly back to work in a week. I will be exactly 2 weeks when he flies out, and don't know what to expect. my children are older thou, and a big help (DS 13, DD 11, DS 8, DS 6).

Take time and relax relax relax!!
Unread 09-21-2005, 02:05 PM

I forgot to add this to my reply oops!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register