Scared - LEEP procedure and TVH - possible cancer | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scared - LEEP procedure and TVH - possible cancer Scared - LEEP procedure and TVH - possible cancer

Unread 07-27-2010, 06:01 AM
Scared - LEEP procedure and TVH - possible cancer

I'm having an outpatient LEEP on Aug 10th and hopefully if the results show that the cells are still in the "precancerous" stage, I am having a TVH on Aug 13th. That means I'll be knocked out twice in a few days which really freaks me out. My first LEEP was done in my doctor's office and was miserable. She wants to go even deeper this time, so she prefers to do it in the hospital. I am terrified that my LEEP results will come back showing invasive cancer and then I'll need a radical hysterectomy. I'm also terrified of being put under twice. Just looking for some support I guess and also would love suggestions on what to eat the few days prior to surgery. My doctor just said to keep it light. Anyone have any ideas? I guess it's to help bowel functioning get back to normal as soon as possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-27-2010, 09:33 AM
Re: So scared, looking for some advice

(((Sister))) Sorry to hear you're facing surgery at this time.

I've never had a LEEP procedure or cancer, but I am hoping others who have will stop by and offer additional help.

I always think of "eating light" as that food we eat when we're not feeling well. Cereal (Cream of Wheat?), applesauce, mashed potatoes, scrambled eggs... nothing too hard on the digestive system. I never do well with alot of fiber, either. Make sure you drink lots of water and other clear fluids so that you stay hydrated.

I hope things go well for you. We're all here pulling for you.
Unread 07-27-2010, 10:27 AM
Scared - LEEP procedure and TVH - possible cancer

I am in almost exactly same did leep in office then while there she wanted to do more, so instead of going threw it again I let her do it right then just gave me more happy meds. Now my surg is tomorrow. I have had other surgerys where but to sleep three times in one week and did fine. As to what to eat, do you like ramen noodles? They are some where between clear liquid and light. No red stuff, v8 Etc. Have lots of salads and sweet pot without the tons of butter and dressings. Ice cream! hope that helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-27-2010, 10:51 AM
Re: Scared - LEEP procedure and TVH - possible cancer

I had a TVH 6 days ago. To my pleasant surprise, it was done with a spinal block and sedation rather than general anasthesia. I was given the option if being awake during the procedure or if I wanted enough sedation to "take a nap". I opted for the "nap". It was much better waking up and recovery wise than a general.
Unread 07-27-2010, 11:17 AM

(((Jntt301)))

I'm so very sorry you're facing all of this.

Have you thought about consulting a gyn/onc (gynecological oncologist)? They are the experts for gyn cancer/pre-cancers, and you certainly want the best where your health is concerned. Even if you don't consult one prior to your upcoming procedure, if your test results still show pre-cancerous cells, it would be a good idea to see one prior to any further treatment (TVH, etc.). Remember, it's ALWAYS a good idea to get a second opinion!

You're also welcome to post over on our Cancer Concerns forum. There are lots of wonderful ladies there who will help any way they can.

Hang in there!
monami
Unread 07-27-2010, 02:52 PM

Thank you for all your replies. I actually have consulted with a gyn/oncologist and my gyno actually consulted with him as soon as my results from my pap showed AGUS. He is very much involved and ready to step in and perform the radical should my results not be as I hope. Otherwise he feels confident that a simple vaginal hysterectomy will be sufficient. I also felt that I needed a second opinion and even though I felt like I was "questioning" my doctor, I asked to see him myself and she(my gyno) was totally cool with it. She said absolutely do everything and ask everything until you feel good about the decisions made. I couldn't agree more!
Unread 07-27-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wou88 View Post
I had a TVH 6 days ago. To my pleasant surprise, it was done with a spinal block and sedation rather than general anasthesia. I was given the option if being awake during the procedure or if I wanted enough sedation to "take a nap". I opted for the "nap". It was much better waking up and recovery wise than a general.
Wow! That sounds pretty cool, but I wonder about the fact that with my third child they tried to give me an epidural for the first time and couldn't get the needle into my spine. Talk about pain. Would this be a similar procedure?
Unread 07-27-2010, 03:13 PM

Yes, they told me it was like an epidural except that they don't leave anything in your back--it's just a one-time shot.

I had not had an epidural with my children, so have nothing to compare it to. I think some of it has to be the skill of the anesthesiologist.
Unread 07-27-2010, 03:21 PM

Yes, maybe it was just the anestesiologist. I hadn't gotten an epidural with the first two kids and then I asked for it for the third and wasn't even able to get it! I went through major agony and in the end I told him to forget it because I thought my husband was going to wring his neck after his 5th attempt at getting the needle in. Ah, fun times!
Unread 07-27-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jntt301 View Post
Yes, maybe it was just the anestesiologist. I hadn't gotten an epidural with the first two kids and then I asked for it for the third and wasn't even able to get it! I went through major agony and in the end I told him to forget it because I thought my husband was going to wring his neck after his 5th attempt at getting the needle in. Ah, fun times!
Another thing to consider is that with the spinal, unlike during labor, they can give you meds to relax you before doing it. Even though I was glad not to have a general, I was a little nervous about the spinal since it was the first time. The anti-anxiety cocktail they put in my IV did the trick!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register