SIS ultrasound and Da Vinci hysterectomy questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

SIS ultrasound and Da Vinci hysterectomy questions SIS ultrasound and Da Vinci hysterectomy questions

Unread 03-04-2014, 06:36 PM
SIS ultrasound and Da Vinci hysterectomy questions

Hello Everyone - from Iowa.

Im 37 years old and the mother of four. I found out on Feb 26th that a hysterectomy is the best choice I can do at this point in life.

Found out I had Endometriosis at 19 years old - already had one child at that point in life. Went on to have 2 more children (1 pregnancy) after that dx.

Ive had abnormal paps in the past with treatment (2005).Had a successful but challenging labor after that (scarred up cervix from 2005 treatment) with my youngest. Got a mirena after he was born.

Started having all sorts of stomach issues a year ago (Feb 2013) and horrible periods that progressively have gotten closer and closer together and heavier.

Finally got a dx of Ulcerative Colitis in July 2013.Honestly wondered if I was going through early menopause because of the symptoms !! It was insane. I finally had, had enough with all the periods when in 6 weeks time I had three complete 7 day periods every other week, and broke down and went back to the doctor again just for period issues.

He sent me in for a ultrasound , then did a pap on the 18th of Feb as well. Shortly after I left his office that afternoon I got a phone call that they found something in my uterus in the ultrasound but it wasnt a fetus and honestly they had no idea what it was. Got the referral to a GYN (my doctor is family practice) for the 26th of Feb.

Went in and talked to the Gyn (he actually helped deliver my twins 17 years ago) and we started discussing my options. He said he was not comfortable with leaving me how I was (thank goodness) because I had once again had an abnormal pap , and he repeated it as well (to double check - still spotting from that exam over a week later).

His recommendation with my history is a hysterectomy with removal of the cervix, uterus (of course) and possibly one ovary. He has me scheduled for my SIS ultrasound on the 21st of this month and said after that we will schedule my Da Vinci hysterectomy.

Honestly Im kinda nervous , I cant really afford to take a lot of time off work (new job) . What can I expect at the SIS Ultrasound ? Also why are people so negative about the Da Vinci method ? Ive tried doing some research on it and keep seeing complaints or people mentioning lawsuits and it makes me even more nervous.

Sorry so long - thanks for reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2014, 06:48 PM
Re: Sis and Da Vinci questions

Wow Chicky you have been through soo much. Lots of hyster hugs to you!
I am glad you found this site. I had the DaV on 1/10/14 and did very well. I was not having all the issues you were and I am older-59 so I am post menopause. I went back to work on 1/27/14. So that was pretty quick. I listened to my doctor and followed all advise while at home the first two weeks. By not over doing it helped me be able to go back to work. I am glad I had the hyster by DAV. I know I am still healing so I continue to take it easy.
Unread 03-04-2014, 07:28 PM

Hi Justachicky -

I am so sorry you have been through so much. Your fears, nerves, and concerns are very normal. This is one tough surgery to face and process.

Please know that there are risks with any surgery, including robotic surgery. Also keep in mind that people post when things go bad, not when they are fine. So it is easy to get a skewed view of things.

Here is an article on robotic surgery:
Laparoscopic vs. Robotic | Which One Is Safer?

Every situation is different, every patient is different, and every doctor is different. Discuss your concerns with your doctor.

I cannot answer your question about SIS ultrasound, as I only had a normal ultrasound.

Recovery from this surgery can take a while - think weeks and not days. Talks to your doctor about what you do at work, and what are your duties. You will probably also have lifting restrictions - 10 lbs for 6 weeks. Your employer should understand that you need time off as this is major surgery. You may need to provide a note from your doctor, depending on your situation.

in there. I know this is an overwhelming experience. We are here for you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2014, 07:49 PM

I believe that was what they called the ultrasound I had before my surgery on 2/26 which was di Vinci. First all the ultrasound will be done with a fluid so they will use a catheter. That was a lot of pressure for seconds then the ultrasound is internal. It took just a few minutes and I got results right there that I had fibroids. It's not painful and don't be scared. Secondly I found the di Vinci great. I've had very little pain and everyday is a little easier but u must rest rest rest!!! I would recommend using this procedure to anyone that doesn't have to have the full open hysterectomy. I hope this helps you out.
Unread 03-04-2014, 07:50 PM

I had an uncomplicated dVH and have no complaints. My doctor is highly skilled using the DaVinci method, and that seems to make all the difference.
Unread 03-05-2014, 05:42 AM

Hi Chicky. I'm so sorry to hear you're having such a tough time! (Hugs) If it helps, you don't need to stress about a SIS ultrasound. I had one done two years ago and will be having another one done this morning. It is done similar to a PAP, and the doctor will insert a very thin catheter into the uterus to "inflate" the inside of your uterus a little bit. They will use a vaginal ultrasound wand to look at the uterus and see the inner walls to check for fibroids, polyps, abnormal thickening of the lining and other things that might be causing your heavy periods. For me, I cramp a bit when the catheter is inserted and feel pressure when they are moving the wand to get different angles. I recommend wearing a pad as the saline will leak back out when you're done (TMI alert... For me, it gushed when I sat up like I had peed myself then trickled for several hours after). You may have some spotting and a little cramping for a while, but usually an OTC pain reliever is enough.
I hope it goes well for you sweetie! I'll be praying for you! 🙏
Unread 03-05-2014, 12:28 PM

Thanks ladies.
Angel will I need someone to drive me home from that or should I be ok to drive ? I really dont like bothering people in my life to help me.. Im um a bit too independent at times.. lol
Unread 03-05-2014, 01:14 PM
Re: Sis and Da Vinci hysterectomy questions

You can drive yourself
Unread 03-05-2014, 02:50 PM
SIS ultrasound and Da Vinci hysterectomy questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justachicky View Post
Thanks ladies.
Angel will I need someone to drive me home from that or should I be ok to drive ? I really dont like bothering people in my life to help me.. Im um a bit too independent at times.. lol
Chicky,
I had my SIS done this morning. I took ibuprofen about an hour before I went to the Dr. I only felt little cramps from the wand today. No pain at all when it was over. I was able to drive myself without any problem at all. Just remember to bring or wear a pad! LOL. I "leaked" all the way home!
I know you will do just fine sweetie! It sounds so much scarier than it really is. I promise!! ((HUGS))
Unread 03-22-2014, 08:15 PM
Re: SIS ultrasound and Da Vinci hysterectomy questions

I had mine done yesterday and it hurt .. my excedrin had worn off though because the doctor was running behind. We did find out all sorts of things about my insides we didnt know about and we got everything scheduled.

I have my date set now for the surgery , Cinco De Mayo , aka May 5th at 1:30 in the afternoon.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register