New here with questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New here with questions New here with questions

Unread 08-06-2003, 03:55 PM
New here with questions

Hi everyone!! I am new here and finding this site very helpful. I am 32 years old married with one DD. I have had DUB for the past 8 1/2 years. All my previous doc wanted to try was drugs. Unfortunately I have had some bad reactions to the drugs so now I am no longer a candidate for them. In Aug of 2002 I had a balloon ablation. All went well for 10 months, but now the bleeding is back and seems to be here to stay. I recently went to a new doc and based on the fact that I am continuing to bleed and I have a history on ovarian cysts he recomends an abdominal hyst. He is planning on removing the cyst and leaving the cervix. That is what I have wanted to hear for years now, but now that it is before me I am scared. One thing that scares me is the fact that I am overweight and I am afraid that my incision won't heal properly because of my "spare tire". I know a couple of women that have had abdominal hysts ,but they are slim. Is there anyone else out there like me? If so, how did things go for you? Thanks, KMC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-06-2003, 08:06 PM
New here with questions

Hi Kmc,

You say you are having an abdominal hyst and keeping your cervix ... I'm assuming the incision will be abdominal since you want to keep your cervix, otherwise the surgery could possibly be done vaginally (but then your cervix would be removed and you don't want that). Did I understand correctly? Or is the abdominal approach needed in order to remove an ovarian cyst? It sounds as though you plan to keep your ovaries, right?

(I'm just trying to understand why this has to be an abdominal incision ... because if it was vaginal you might not have these concerns about the incision healing.)

I had a TAH/BSO ... my incision was about 7 1/2 inches. I'm not skinny, probably about average weight for my height. So I might not be a good one to compare with. However, my belly was certainly not flat prior to my surgery and yet my incision healed just great. I had NO problems at all. No infections, no drainage, and my scar is a very faint white line at almost 2 years post op.

Have you asked your doc about this? Does he/she have any concerns about the incision? I've read posts from many gals here who were overweight and had hysts, so hopefully some will stop by and share their experiences with you.

Please try not to stress out too much about this. I truly hope this will not be a problem for you. Sending gentle hugs your way.

Beth

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register