"Coming Out Party" | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

"Coming Out Party" "Coming Out Party"

Unread 03-25-2004, 03:18 PM
"Coming Out Party"

I went to my gynocologist because I've had 3 full blown, and heavy periods since Feb. 27th. I have bled so much that I am feeling weak, faint, anemic, shaky and obviously this weird cycling isn't normal. I am 44, have had a tubal ligation after having my last child 3 1/2 years ago. I also just weaned him about 3 months ago. In any case, my Dr. did an exam, an ultrasound and said that the lining of my uterus is very thick, so I will have even more bleeding and since my blood count is low, she recommended a "Coming Out Party". I was so dumbfounded, I just kind of smiled and asked about alternatives. She said I could try the pill, but because I've had migraines, she'd not recommend that. So, I kept asking if surgery were really the answer, and she finally dismissed me saying that I should call her when I'm really bothered by my symptoms.
Any advice other than another Dr.?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2004, 06:32 AM
coming out party

Hi, sistah

I saw your message yesterday but got caught up on another thread. why don't you look through the "reconsidering" posts and you'll find some friends there.
Hate to see you out there alone ... not a good feeling!
I'm at work so can't really spend any time here now...just checking back to see if you found a place.
Please check it out, you'll fit right in :-)

Eileen
Unread 03-26-2004, 09:47 AM
"Coming Out Party"

Hi (((sistah))) and welcome to Hystersisters! I'm glad you found us. I'm also glad you recognize that it's time to get another opinion.... your DR sounds a bit to eager to throw the baby out with the bath water imho.

You mentioned that you just weaned your child after nursing three and a half years, right? Did you have any periods during that time? What I am thinking is this... nursing tends to affect your hormone balance such that it prevents you from having periods. At least it does if you're nursing full time... I don't know what happens when you're just doing it occasionally because I never did that. When I nursed my kids, I had no periods during the time I was nursing plus for a couple of months after I stopped. I wonder if it's possible that because you nursed for such a long time, that allowed the lining of your uterus to build up to such a thick level, and now it's trying to shed itself but taking much more than just a normal period or two to do it?

That is just speculation on my part, but I think that if there is any doubt that your uterus might be healthy, it would be a mistake to rush in there and remove it. A hysterectomy has long term and far reaching consequences for many women, consequences that can affect your quality of life... I would hate to see you risk that when there may be a much less invasive treatment (be it bcp's or something like a D&C or ablation) that could set things right and enable you to keep your uterus.

I hope you will see at least one other DR (and possibly more) before making a decision. We're here to support you whatever you decide to do.

s,
-Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2004, 06:14 PM
another opinion

I have endometrial hyperplasia (thick lining of the uterus) as well. My Dr put me on natural progesterone (prometrium) and it is stopping my heavy bleeding and thinning out the lining of the uterus. There may be another option besides hysterectomy. I go back in June for another endometrial biopsy to see if everything is back to normal. (It takes a few months to stop the bleeding). My hemoglobin was 8 and now has increased to 9.6. I'm taking iron pills to help correct it.

Since you just got through nursing and probably didn't have periods the lining built up during that time.

Talk to your Dr about alternatives and always get a second opinion.

Good luck to you.
Unread 03-26-2004, 06:34 PM
Update and Thanks!

I went to the Dr. this morning and my hemoglobin was 7, and they did an ultrasound/sonogram and found that my lining was over 25mm, so they did an endometrial biopsy to further diagnose. They also found a blood vessel bleeding from an adhesion tear at my left fallopian tube. They cauterized that with a laser. They gave me a perscription for prometrium, ponstel, and suggested meridia for weight loss. I am 5'4'..174 lbs. I go back on Monday for another ultrasound and the pathology report to determine further treatment. I am in pain at the moment, but I found another website called HERS foundation, and asked for a consult in the meantime and an angel from there talked to me for an hour or so and is going to look at the path report and give me the names of some other Drs. who have more respect for women's bodies. She suggested going ahead with the current treatment to stop the internal bleed, but as far as the hyperplasia, said to slow down and make sure I get good treatment. I also spoke with my Dr. about the comment of a coming out party and she asked what I wanted. When I told her that I wanted to treat the dysfunctional bleeding with as much of my body in tact as possible, she seemed fine with that. I also told her I wasn't interested in HRT or hysterectomy unless it was a life saving measure and she acted as if she agreed. I still find her comment appalling and am not sure I want to trust my health to her, so I will probably change Drs. and with the help of y'all and the HERS foundation, I feel I can find good care. At least now, without continued blood loss with each heart beat, I have hope of thinking a little clearer! Thanks for your support and comments!
Unread 03-27-2004, 09:32 PM
"Coming Out Party"

I'm glad you got a second opinion, and I would also seek a new doctor. That statement was uncalled for, so quickly, without looking at other alternatives.

I did want to point out that I also suffer from migraines, but was still put on the pill (I think it was the lowest dose available) to stop the abnormal bleeding I had, like you, and to regulate. I don't think it ever triggered any migraines... but I DID get them each time I massively bled like that!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register