big day tomorrow..a little nervous... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

big day tomorrow..a little nervous... big day tomorrow..a little nervous...

Unread 07-20-2004, 04:43 AM
big day tomorrow..a little nervous...

Hello all...........I am new to this site and so far love it....I am having my surgery tomorrow 7/21/04 I am a bit nervous but actually looking forward to a painfree life(of course after recovery). How long will i actually be in alot of pain, I usually bounce right back(from previous surgeries not quite extensive) but have a feeling this won't quite be the same.. Any suggestions from anyone would be greatly appreciated...hanks to all JillMarie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-20-2004, 05:23 AM
Big day

I was the same way actually excited. So tired of the pain. I had an ephideral so the first day isn't so bad your numb from the middle down. But the next day yuck nausea and the Gas! that is the worst, so uncomfortable, walking helps but not the easiest up and down the hall. I had TAH which are you having? won't be so bad if your going vaginally. I had my freind even bring me extra gasx. I couldn't stand it, was crotch up with my butt in the air..HEHEHE.( works ) ya'll be pretty uncomfortable the first several days easpecially.They alternated percocet pills and morphine shots every 3 hours and trust me you'll know when that time is near don't be shy they gave it to me every time I asked. Riding in a car don't feel so good the vrrrrr. really viberates you so go home and stay and rest, and you'll start to feel better into the 2nd week each day but beware, can be decieving, I got in the cleaning mood one day at the end of my 2nd week at it took me days to get over it. Wiped out!! BAD!!! And beware of the percocets too if they put you on them they make you feel good and you don't sleep well on them they tend to keep you up, so plan on interupted sleep. and ween yourself off them slowly the bowles will have a hard time. I had to and most of us do, take some sort of stool softner but coming off meds. will tear your stomoch up. (if you know what I mean) Bad, Bad cramps like you never had at least I never had. You'll be wanting to go to the bathroom but you can't strain and your poor belly will scream at you for it. Don't let this scare you I have had several surgeries and this was a rough one more than I expected.(which I can't tell ya what I actually expected!) I am being straight up with you, not something to be beating around the bush about. Hey how did ya like the pun he he I shaved myself that morning got to go from the bottom of the breast down. Just trying to prepare so I didn't have to lay there while they did it. Slowly but surely you have less pain I think I was out of pain meds in about 10-12 days started 2 every 3 hours till I was breaking them in half toward the end. never used anything else Advil every once in a while. I am having trouble emotionally big deal there! Don't know if you are going to be on hormones or not. Each of us are different of corse H#$% YOU may not have any results like mine. But if you are losing your overies I hope you do better then I. I think a larger % of women fo pretty good with it. I am one of those who lost my mind somewhere along the way. I'll make it always do ... GOOD LUCK TO YOU. will be anxious to here how you fare. KIM
Unread 07-20-2004, 05:39 AM
good luck :)

Hi,
I am one week post op today, and until last night I thought this recovery was going to be a piece of cake, lol. I walked 1/3 of a mile, then my husband drove me to Borders and the library. Last night I really payed for it. Not so much a lot of pain, but really, really tired and lots of pulling sensations. Today I am really going to lay low, with my laptop, my book, and my stitching, all from the couch, or my bed. You will be fine, but listen to your doc, and rest,rest, rest, and then rest more, it really is key to healing and feeling good throughout the process. Let me know how it goes for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-20-2004, 07:09 AM

Hi - congrats on being an almost

Gypsyway did a pretty good job of laying it on the line. However, remember that everyone is different. I was on heavy duty pain meds until 4+ weeks. I still take them occasionally and I am almost 6 weeks.

But, I would caution you on shaving yourself. Most docs don't want you to do it for risk of nicking yourself and then infection. I have heard that some women have had their surgeries postponed for these concerns. I was asleep when they shaved me, so no big deal.

The pain was one of my biggest concerns post-op. But, it was not as bad I was expecting it could be, thanks to the Pain Management team at the hospital. They checked on me several times in the first few days to make sure my pain was under control.

Although recovery hasn't been a piece of cake for me, I think I've had no complications b/c I've been a good princess. No lifting, bending, stretching, vacuuming (BIG no-no - I had to get a doctor's note for that for DSO). Lots of sleep, little walks, lots of water, healthy food, taking pain meds on schedule, stool softeners, Milk of Magnesia when I needed it to help move my bowels.

Good Luck and just think - tomorrow, you'll be a PRINCESS!

Esme

P.S. Here's a thread on what to take to the castle (include my list):

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...hreadid=148788
Unread 07-20-2004, 07:18 AM

Hi Jill Marie!

What kind of surgery are you having? Mine was done vaginally and the recovery time does seem to go a little quicker. The first two days were a little rough, but I was completely off pain meds by day 3 and driving by day 5. I'm 8 days post op now and I still get tired, but I'm getting around really well. I'll be going back to work next week. (I have a desk job.)

Whichever way you're doing it, remember that you only have one time to heal, so you need to do it right and pamper yourself!! Let us know how it goes!!

Michelle
Unread 07-20-2004, 02:35 PM
how much bleeding if any????

To anyone who has has a total abdominal hyst. do you bleed vaginally and if so for how long????
Unread 07-20-2004, 03:27 PM

With my TAH, I had a big glob of brown sticky stuff (like when I was ovulating) come out a couple of days post, then a little pink about 2 weeks post when I was straining with a BM, and then nothing. Even after my internal there was a tinge of pink, and I expected there to be some drainage, but nada. Guess I am one of the lucky ones - so far.

Esme
Unread 07-20-2004, 03:52 PM

Hi Jill Marie,

I don't have any answers for you, but I'm glad you asked the question. We share the same surgery date. I'll be at the castle by 6:30 . . . surgery scheduled for 8:30.

Best of luck to you for a smooth surgery and uneventful recovery!

Kelly
Unread 07-20-2004, 03:56 PM
good luck

Good luck to you.. I will be at <admin. snipped: site rules prohibit using hospital names on the public forums> at 7:30 and starts at 9:30.....
Unread 07-20-2004, 04:08 PM

My prayers will be with you tomorrow. I have had three friends go through this. One, bounced back from a total hyster through the abd in yes you are reading this right, 4 days. She was back at work, she is a lawyer, my boss, but she worked only 1/2 days for about 3 weeks. We call her the IRON WOMAN. (we always joked about if any of us needed it, then she set a really tough standard), (Now i need one), I am her secty. So she has to be nice to me, My other friend took 10 weeks to get back to her job, so it depends on the person. I know for myself, I am sched. for 09/17/2004 my doctor told me to start a cardio program and eat right, lose about 8-10 lbs,. He said the healthier and stronger I am going into it, the easier time i SHOULD have, the clue word is SHOULD. I will most certainly be praying for you and your recovery. Let me know how it goes.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register