to cervix or not to cervix - that is the question! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

to cervix or not to cervix - that is the question! to cervix or not to cervix - that is the question!

Unread 06-19-2004, 11:36 PM
to cervix or not to cervix - that is the question!

Hi, going for my pre-op exam tomorrow, and really need to know the pros and cons for removal of my cervix or not. My gyn said that its not much use and doesn't really add to sexual pleasure, and that he usually removes it. What are others experience?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-19-2004, 11:53 PM

I've definitely read differing opinions about this issue here, and I'm sure some other sisters will share their experiences.

Here's my perspective:

My doc and I discussed my options. Together we decided that I would not keep mine. I didn't want to possibly have mini-periods for another potentially 5 years until I reach menopause. Also, mine has always been hypersensitive - as in a normal pelvic exam with a Pap smear would have me gripping the exam table and having to go through a lot of breathing, etc., to distract from the pain that was making me grit my teeth whenever the cervix was touched.

When I went for my 6 week exam - complete with pelvic - nada, zip, nothing. I was prepared for it to be terribly uncomfortable and it wasn't. I knew the doc was examining me, but there was no tenderness and I didn't have to take anything for discomfort as soon as I left his office. Wondrous!

As a further note, having been released to resume sex, I have found that the lack of cervix has not changed my desire or ability to enjoy one bit. To quote the computer HAL from 2001: A Space Odyssey - "I am fully operational and all my systems are functioning normally." Sure, the first few times had to be taken slow, and with extra lubrication, but Hubby and I aren't having any particular problems with any of the mechanics.

So, there's my story and I'm stickin' to it... I'm sure there will be others along soon to help you weigh your pro's and con's.

Best wishes to you for a stress-free pre-op time, a complication free surgery and a comfy recovery!
Unread 06-20-2004, 01:12 AM

I don't miss my cervix one itty little bit!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-20-2004, 03:32 AM

My vote would be ... if there is nothing wrong with it, don't have it out.

I had mine removed, and I do miss it very much. My husband can't tell that it is gone, but I'm very aware of it not being there.

I had some problems with mine and so felt it was better to have it removed too, but in retrospect I think I should have tried harder to keep it... however I never imagined that it would bother me this much. I admit is it more a mental problem than physical, but that is important too.

Mini-periods don't have to be a problem - there are techniques the dr can use to prevent them.

I know this isn't an easy decision to make..... I wish you well.
Unread 06-20-2004, 06:15 AM
I was worried....

when the Dr said that with a TVH they remove the cervix, as I was scared that sex would change. Up to then I had seen many con's and few pro's on the subject. We discussed it and it was decided it would go. Now that I am back in the house of romance I have to admit I don't notice it being gone. My "O" is better than ever and now pain free...woo hoo! So it worked out ok for me, but it still is a very personal choice and I am glad for several reasons it is gone. The only time I could feel my cervix before was during a pap otherwise I never knew it was there. During surgery it was found that my cervix was about 5 cms long over double the normal size and had most likely caused some of my prolapse! My doc said that he kept cutting and couldn't find the end, he just kept going and finely got to the uterus. My cervix was turned to the front and pushing my bladder, so that explains why I always felt like I had to go. I feel good, much better than before and I'm back to doing my normal activities. I kept all the princess rules and when I returned to work felt great!

Take care and good luck!
Unread 06-20-2004, 06:19 AM

I had my preop last Tuesday. My doctor stated that she will definitely remove the cervix. She told me pretty much the same thing as yours....leaving it serves no purpose. Removing it avoids the possibility of cervical cancer. I figure that's fine because it gives me one less worry.

Good luck. I'm going in tomorrow.
Unread 06-20-2004, 08:03 AM

in my mind I do want to keep mine......it's just something I decided after much research.......however, during my pre-op the doctor noticed a big scar (appendectomy in the '70's) they hacked me up good - loooonnnng scar - he said there may be adhesions and if so, he'll have to switch from LSH to TVH - in which case I can't keep it.....I've decided I'm okay with that

and the funny thing is - this will make me sound so stupid and silly - but I was soooooooo worried about this big gaping hole where the cervix used to be.....I didn't wanna ask (but I should have) about that - THANK GOODNESS another Hyster Sister had the guts to ask about that and found out here they sew it up...make a "cuff" if you will.....so, while I'd prefer to keep it, now that I know I won't be gaping down there, if he should happen to have to switch....I'm okay with it
Unread 06-20-2004, 09:07 AM

Just a note about cervical cancer.

there is no "dividing line" between the vaginal wall and the cervix. Some cervical cells can get left behind. For this reason MANY drs recommend that you STILL have pap smears --ESPECIALLY if you have had any hint of cancer.

Please don't think that just because the cervix isn't there you are 100% safe. -- certainly you are in a "better" position with regards to developing cancer, but many women should continue with pap smears.

talk it over with your drs.
Unread 06-20-2004, 09:42 AM

Kept mine. My Dr. said it may help with pelvic ligament support and a cervix may also help in the love dept. Also, cervical cancer does not run in my family and I read the chances of getting cervical cancer are less than 5 %.

A SAH surgery lets you retain the cervix also.

Also, I had my cervix cauterized. That helps to prevent the "mini-period" you read about.

Good luck. To cervix or not to cervix is a hard question. Drove Hamlet nuts, right!!
Unread 06-20-2004, 09:56 AM

I asked my surgeon about cauterization and he doesn't do this.....was kinda bummed

and he said he's done many many hsterectomy's and none of the women who've had the cervix removed have complained of any sexual dysfunction -

I would imagine it's different for everyone......

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register