Test group for Day Surgery. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Test group for Day Surgery. Test group for Day Surgery.

Unread 03-05-2013, 06:19 AM
Test group for Day Surgery.

There was a small confusion at hospital on my length of stay after surgery. I was informed I was going home the same day. My Dr.'s office called and said I was placed in a test program for lavh day surgery. I did turn it down but has anyone else been approached with this idea? Have we advanced so far we can send home patients from a hysterectomy the same day? Has Anyone else agreed to this program and how was the recovery?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2013, 06:54 AM
Re: Test group for Day Surgery.

Never heard of that program but mine was considered day surgery. From what I understand anything that keeps you in the hopsital for less than 24 hours is day surgery. My surgery was at 9:30 on Wednesday, in a room by noon and sent home Thursday about 10 am. I was ready to go home. I have heard some women do go home the same evening and my doctor did say I could go home early if I wanted to but he didn't force it. I was a bit scared when I hear "day surgery" but recovery hasn't been neatly as bad as I expected. I'm 6 days post op and really ready to get out of the house. It was 86 here yesterday and I wanted to play outside all day Not quite ready got that but feeling pretty good! Good luck with your surgery!
Unread 03-05-2013, 07:09 AM

I was told the same: day surgery was anything under 24 hours. Mine was at 8 friday am and i was discharged at 9 am sat. Not sure i would have wanted to go home SAME day though (as much as i love my home and family) but probably would have gotten more sleep if I had! (Nurses come in every 30 mins all night to check vitals).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2013, 07:14 AM

I am not familiar with that term. I was considered an overnight outpatient. My surgery was at 7:30am, recovery from 11-1, then in hospital room until next evening. Would have been sooner except i had to wait for blood transfusion. If I had stayed another night then I would have changed to an inpatient. They won't force anyone to go home if not physically ready. Good luck and see you on other side!
Unread 03-05-2013, 07:49 AM

thanks Erak, Yes this a test program for less than 24 hours. glad to hear you are up and about. My surgeon had no problem changing to overnight.
Unread 03-05-2013, 07:52 AM

Hey Canuck I am in Canada too and This is new. I would love to see it be day surgery one day but I don't want to be the tester to see how well it works.
Unread 03-05-2013, 07:55 AM

My doctor said nothing about a test program, but I was in surgery by 7:15AM, and I was home that same evening around 6PM. Both my surgeon and his nurses say that he frequently sends patients home the same day as people tend to feel better at home and need fewer pain meds. When I expressed concern, he told me that I could stay overnight if I wanted, but I decided that I really wanted to go home.
Unread 03-05-2013, 07:56 AM

thanks skaye, at least I am learning this is very new. Still happy I opted out of it. today is my last day with my uterus. I think I would rather not be stressed about going home too early.
Unread 03-05-2013, 08:01 AM

thank you Elsie, I only found out because I panicked when they said same day. That is when I was informed it is a testing program. I want to go home to heal but I have concerns with catheter being removed so quickly. and still not being fully away from surgery. I hope all went well for you when you got home. me...? I say maybe next time... lol
Unread 03-05-2013, 08:09 AM

It was odd. I know I had a catheter during surgery because I read the surgical note, but they removed it before they wheeled me into recovery. When I got back to the room, I had no trouble peeing or holding urine. It just burned some, but that is to be expected with a LAVH. I did not ask for a lot of pain meds. I did not really need them. By the time I went home I had done a couple laps around the nurses' stations, peed 3 times, passed gas, and ate half a turkey sandwich. I had absolutely no problems at home. Pain was well-controlled by oral meds, very little bleeding. I was happy that I went home

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register