In Defense of "Swelly Belly" | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

In Defense of "Swelly Belly" In Defense of "Swelly Belly"

Unread 07-17-2017, 06:21 AM
In Defense of "Swelly Belly"

I had a conversation in a post about adenomyosis. I thought I would share part of it to the general post-OP forum because I know that the abdominal swelling after a hysterectomy can feel discouraging to some sisters, but I have a different perspective. I LOVE MY "SWELLY BELLY"!

My hysterectomy was on 13 June 2017. I had a total DvH and kept both ovaries.

I had it because my periods were coming every 20 days and were severely heavy. I was diagnosed at one point with significant anemia (the doctor said if my number were one digit lower, he would have called me in for an emergency blood transfusion), and I had been on iron supplements to counter my problem.

I knew that I had all sorts of uterine fibroids, the biggest measuring about 6 cm. During surgery, it was discovered that I had a patch of endometriosis on the bottom posterior of the uterus and on some other spots in my abdomen as well as adenomyosis.

For many, many years I had incredible swelling and pain during my periods (and recently because periods were coming so close together, it felt like it was all of the time!). Most of my clothes are too big! I got so used to the horrible swelling that I just gave up and bought a size too big whenever I was in doubt or in between sizes. I am a runner and work out a lot and had great core strength, but the swelling made me look like I had a beer belly!

So, I know that some sisters are frustrated with "swelly belly" during recovery, but I could not be happier with my swollen belly! It never gets bigger than my pre-period belly, even on a busy day. My new swelly belly is even absent in the mornings and is contained to my very low, low abdominal area rather than puffing out my stomach from my rib cage and beyond.

I will take this "swelly belly" and light spotting for the rest of my life compared to what I had to deal with in terms of the pain of my periods and bloating. Also, I had lower back pain when I would do yoga, and I cannot wait to see how I feel when I get back to it because I am anticipating that ridding myself of painful, swollen tissue and fibroids has done my body a world of good.

So, for anyone who may be a little discouraged with the healing process and its adjunct inconveniences, give yourself a little love for taking care of your long-term health. <3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-17-2017, 10:25 AM
Re: In Defense of "Swelly Belly"

Very well said! We should see our swelly bellies as a badge of honor for what we've been through. Lets carry our swelly bellies with pride Sisters!!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register