10 days right lower abdominal pain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

10 days right lower abdominal pain 10 days right lower abdominal pain

Unread 08-15-2005, 08:43 AM
10 days right lower abdominal pain

Hi, I am new here. Had an abdominal hysterectomy 10 days ago. Two days ago I started hurting on my right front lower side. Feels like scar tissue. I can feel it when I touch there and is very tender. Almost feels like I was cut across there and what was left has rolled up into a rope or braid. Would appreciate anyone with same surgery to describe their post-op experiences. I've called my doctor once post op for a question, left message and it took 48 hours to get a return call and I MISSED THE CALL. Very aggravating
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-15-2005, 09:32 AM

I've had persistent right-side pain since my surgery -- and I'm 7 weeks now.

My pain is about an inch and a half above the right end of my incision. It's sort of a burning ache -- I don't know if it is similar to yours or not. My doctor first kept saying it was normal, and then she said it could be a complication from some delayed bleeding I had, but we don't really know.

I'll be interested to hear what your doctor says. I hope you feel better soonb.
Unread 08-15-2005, 09:43 AM

I too have lower front right side pain just below insision. Doc said it was normal, I believe he said it was nerve endings or something to do with the nerves that were cut during procedure. Mine is a burning sensation that sometimes makes it difficult to stand or even walk and I am a little over 4 wks post-op. Still may want to talk to Doc though. I hope you find the answers you need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-15-2005, 12:39 PM

I also have very sharp pain in my right hand side. Have been treating it with 2400mg of Ibuprophen as well as cyclobezaprine (muscle relaxant). Just talked with my doctor who said I shouldn't still be having this type of pain. I have a vertical incision (due to previous surgery). She said next step is CTScan if no more improvement by Wednesday.
My pain started at 4 weeks too but is probably due in part to an early return to work. I'm back out of work again and hoping to get through this soon.
Hope you get your problem evaluated soon. Sometimes the hardest part is just not knowing!
Best wishes to you.
Felicity
Unread 08-15-2005, 01:51 PM

I too seem to have more pain on the right side. My Dr. said it was due to the knot from the stitches. If the pain is real bad, I would still try the Dr. again. Good Luck
Unread 08-15-2005, 03:29 PM

Well, I see I'm not alone! I just started a thread with this same topic. I'm only two weeks past my operation but I'm getting a pinching in my left groin area and it's also numb there. It's below the scar. At least I know it's common but I want it to go away! My doctor, too, said it's quite normal. Ugh.
Unread 08-15-2005, 05:35 PM

Yes it is normal to have pain in the lower abdomen after an abdominal hyst, according to my doc. Personally, I felt like I was wearing sandpaper underwear soaked in lemon juice. I also had pain in my RT groin area, crossing into my pubic bone. My doc told me it was probably due to 1) the fact that he had to do so much digging and scraping on that side, and 2) nerves healing back together. I had this pain, which slowly dwindled to mild discomfort for about 4 weeks. By 6 weeks, it had almost completely disappeared, only rearing its ugly head when I overdid things.

GeneralHospital, your doctor should return your calls in a more timely manner, especially since you are so freshly post-op. Next time you call, try to speak to a real human, instead of their machine. If it was me, I would call and call and call until someone listened to me. (But thats just me...I can be a real spaz sometimes!)

I hope you are feeling better soon. Just remember, it takes a lot of time to start feeling more like yourself again. Be patient with your body...but DON'T be patient with a doc who won't call you back!

Joanie
Unread 08-15-2005, 06:14 PM
What an encouraging group you all are

I am so encouraged having been referred to this site and getting all of your prompt replies today. I felt the the pain was probably normal so I didn't pursue more calls to my doctor. My husband and girl friend said I was overdoing it. All I did was go to lunch on thurs and a women's mtg. friday nite where I sat around. That's when the pain started and has been hanging out ever since. I had not had a pain pill in 8 days and am now taking them again. (low dosage of darvocet) I think I will listen to my husband and continue to use this time to rest. Resting is hard for me. If the pain continues I will take your advice and make sure I speak to a human being instead of leaving a message. My post op appt. is 25th which would be 3 wks. post op. I also seemed to notice the pain start when I drove to both outings even though my doctor said I could drive after 8-10 days if I felt up to it. I did feel up to it but now am wondering about the driving. I can feel myself using stomach muscles when I turn the steering wheel. Have any of you had problems after driving?
Unread 08-15-2005, 06:34 PM

yes, I found that it felt like it was pulling something until I was about 5 weeks.
And I have also found that innocent sounding excursions are surprisingly exhausting and set me back. My theory is that when I'm home I am sitting in a more relaxed position, kind of leaning back, so it doesn't take so many stomach muscles. At 3-1/2 weeks I went to a church meeting in someone's living room, and was in sooooo much pain at the end, simply because it wasn't a good chair for me.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register