That was a long weekend | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

That was a long weekend That was a long weekend

Unread 10-23-2006, 08:05 AM
That was a long weekend

but I survived. Friday I had to be at the college for the opening of our new campus center, our first new building in 35 years, as our hockey team was playing the first game in the new facility. Those of you who've been walking through this with me have dealt with many of the same gas/bowel/insomnia/fatigue/emotional garbage/loneliness/etc/etc/etc feelings and have also shared in the joys of what it feels like to be able to step, even for the briefest of moments into a normal life again (I swear I never thought being able to go to the store for half and half by myself would actually bring me to tears!). I knew going in that this weekend had the potential to take a bit of a toll on my body and again, there are those sisters here who get it when you say, "I simply cannot back out of this", so I made sure to take my motrin and aspirin at the regular times all day, took an afternoon nap and brought my squishy pillow with me to boot!

I got my 75 hockey alumni ticketed and in to the game, sat on my squishy and watched out team get the W, and even stopped at the post game reception our group was holding for about an hour. All in all, I was out of my house for about 7 hours! I was exhausted when I got home but I felt like a kid on Christmas Day. Couldn't even fall asleep! It felt so good to be out among people again! To talk to so many people, to hear people laughing and joking, see little kids staring at the players in such awe, the excitement of the whole crowd in what this event meant for all of us here in this community.....it was just incredible!

Saturday I wanted to do absolutely nothing but I was in charge of the banquet so I was over at the restaurant at 2:30 (after baking pumpkin bars for DH to take to work!). That was a very relaxed event with the newest inductee into our hall of fame and his family, alumni, the players, etc. I was home by 6:30.

I would gladly have skipped Saturday if I could have, but again, when you commit there are times you can't back out! I will say I had some light bleeding Friday that I attribute to the fact that I was sitting straight up in a chair for such a long period of time as compared to the recliner or sofa. That had stopped by mid-day Saturday and the event Saturday didn't seem to cause any issues. Very mild cramping but I have that at some point most days anyway. I was out for a very very brief time yesterday to run to a benefit for a friend dying of cancer, 5 minute trip into the store, and then spent the rest of the day and evening in the recliner. All in all, I feel much better than I thought I would and while I would not encourage everyone to do what I did, at 4.5 weeks, it was okay for me personally. The mental boost was so needed and I think I handled it all wisely by staying on the meds, and resting as much as possible before and after.

Thank you to all of you who understood when I said I had to do it. My doctor has told me to do what I feel comfortable doing and with both events, I knew if I needed to leave after even an hour, the most of my responsibility would have been taken care of and I could leave feeling that I had done what I was supposed to do. If I "rest" anymore, I'm going to just fall apart. Being on my treadmill has helped some but the loneliness factor is just awful and much as I love visiting you all here, it isn't the same as real person to person contact. Since my layoff last year I can't even say that I have a job to look forward to going back to after my 6 week check up so my activities with stuff like this are it! The mental toll of all of this has been terrible and I needed to be ME again even if just for brief little bursts.

So there it is! It was a long weekend but I survived!!!!

K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-23-2006, 08:33 AM
That was a long weekend

First let me say yippee, you made it. I KNEW you would. Congratulations on doing a good job of balancing your health and your commitment!!!!
I know what you are saying about being me again. In many ways I feel like the same old me, but in some way, I have not been able to define or explain, I feel very different. While I crave being out and about and interacting with people, I also crave the silence and isolation I have become accustomed to during my recovery. I just don't know what to think. I guess I just have to let the dust settle and see what happens.
They say this surgery is a life changing event, I am just not sure what the changes are or will be and if I will like them LOL.
I know it is tough to be out of work. I HATED it. But on the bright side, you have the opportunity to let the whole hyster experience set in. I am dreading going back to work. I know, I NEVER would have thought I would feel this way. I am worried about how I am going to be able to stay awake long enough to do everything I need to for work. I get sooo tired in the afternoon.
I am especially mortified about swelly belly which makes me look six months pregnant. It starts off at it's normal size but by the end of the day, it is brutal!!!!
I work with mostly men, plumbers no less, and they are not the most patient souls on the planet, so I am worried about the stress and the multitasking my job entails
For the most part the guys have been calling me and asking when I was coming back. They miss me, but in two seconds they will be annoyed with me that I am sending them to a call they don't want to do..
I always tell them that I have no empty nest syndrome because I have 35 children at work. In typical guy spirit, they think this is funny!!!!
I am rambling, hang in there kiddo, chin up and feet up

Hugs

Harley
Unread 10-23-2006, 08:48 AM
That was a long weekend

Phew! Good for you Karen! I thought about you a lot this weekend, wondering how you were holding out. I, personally, would have been spent after the pumpkin bars!

You, once again, have given me inspiration. This time it is for my event this weekend. After reading your post my doubts are less and less.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-23-2006, 08:57 AM
That was a long weekend

Hiya K....Well this weekend I did absolutely nothing!! NOTHING NOTHING..for the first time since my hyster I think I did less than nothing! And Boy did I need it!!! I watched the lil ones play all weekend, in our Indian summer weather ( ) sent the older ones off to friends for the weekend they needed the break..and hubby was working all weekend, so I just had a VERY lazy time..it was nice. DH and I went on a date though on sat. wich was VERY nice. We needed the "time away" And I needed to get all prettied up, boots, make up grat fittin jeans, hair and make up ... We had a nice quiet JUST US night. WOW its been a couple yrs since we had a JUST US night...NIIICCEEE...I m glad you made it through YOUR busy busy weekend, and glad to know you kept your feet up in the recliner last night!!! YOU DID IT YOU DID IT!!! now just more weekends like this and you will be back at what you call normal again hun!!!! GOOD JOB!!!!!! ..... Mil
Unread 10-23-2006, 09:39 AM
That was a long weekend

I am so glad you made it through. I was worried about you! Yippee! and great that it made you feel more YOU! That has to be healing in and of itself! Now rest up and take care of YOU!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register