Weight restrictions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Weight restrictions Weight restrictions

Unread 06-27-2006, 08:15 PM
Weight restrictions

I'm seeing that the average that you can lift after surgery is about 10 pounds. My baby is 13 right now and will probably be no more than 15 when I have my surgery. I know I won't be lifting her right away, but does anyone have an idea when I will be able to carry her? I'm not talking about all day carrying, but just from point A to point B. Also, when I start driving, will it be difficult to lift a stroller out of the back of my van? It's not heavy, but a bit awkward. I thought the stroller would be good so I wouldn't be carrying her, but maybe carrying her in a sling would be less strain? Just trying to figure out how I'm going to get around. My oldest goes back to school exactly one month after my surgery and I have to get her there somehow. I'm sure I will feel fine, but it's the lifting the baby that I'm concerned about. I have to drive her to the school and taking the baby to and from the car will be unavoidable. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-27-2006, 09:23 PM
Weight restrictions

Hi (((Ellie))),

You really need to discuss this with your Dr. My Doctor told me "nothing heavier than a glass of water" for 6 weeks.

The problem you may have is that if you overdo, you can prolong your recovery and cause internal damage.

Is there anyone at your dd's school who would be willing to pick her up and bring her home for a couple of weeks? Do you know a teenage girl who you trust who would be willing to spend time at your house and help with the baby lifting and care?

I know it is a tough situation, but you really don't want to make things worse by doing too much too soon.

Let us know what your doctor says.

Kay
Unread 06-28-2006, 06:50 AM
Weight restrictions

I do have a few teenagers lined up for helping with the baby for the month of August, but then they go back to school when my oldest does. I think that's at about 5 weeks. I definitely don't want to overdo it - that's why I'm wanting to know when most people started lifting slightly heavier things. My 2 year old just learned how to climb into his carseat, so I don't have to worry about lifting a 32 pounder into the car. I quit carrying him when I was pregnant, so he never wants to be carried anymore. Don't worry, I don't plan to do anything other than watch ER and Law&Order the whole month of August. Not sure if I can get someone else to pick my daughter up from school. We're out of area so no one lives around here. I can definitely look into it if I have to. DH can do it if he has to, but he would have to leave work to do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-28-2006, 03:01 PM
Weight restrictions

My doctor said nothing over 10lbs for the entire six weeks. She then noted that a gallon of milk is 8lbs

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register