Just thinking about a clear liquid diet is making me starve!!! What did you eat? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Just thinking about a clear liquid diet is making me starve!!! What did you eat? Just thinking about a clear liquid diet is making me starve!!! What did you eat?

Unread 04-13-2012, 05:52 PM
Just thinking about a clear liquid diet is making me starve!!! What did you eat?

OhmygoodnesswhatamIgonnaeat?!?!

That is about how I feel! So, I got my ( second round) of marching orders Wednesday. A TAH looks like a good possibility for me. She was pretty vague about the bowel prep. "Oh you MAy want to get a bottle of Magnesium Citrate. May? ummm, Ok, I will! No idea when to do it, but I digress..... about 3 or 4? half a bottle with 7 up, wait 30 minutes, other half?

So, also, I need to be on a clear liquid diet on Sunday before the surgery. ok, sure!

So, it looks like broth, jello, gatorade, 7up, water, water, water, and a side of popsicles for me, all day??

what do we do to break the boredom? and to stay full?

Thanks ladies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-13-2012, 06:11 PM
Re: Just thinking about a clear liquid diet is making me starve!!! What did you eat?

I have to drink 2 six ounce doses of the magnesium citrate, 6 hours apart. I guess that's a mini bowel prep. I have a mid-morning surgery so my drink times are 1pm and 7pm.

My nurse told me last week I could eat up until noon the day before so I wasn't dreading that day so bad. I'd even planned a lunch with my visiting sister. Then today at pre-op, was told NO FOOD ALL DAY!! Arg, I knew it was too good to be true. I'll just eat popcicles all day, I guess.
Unread 04-13-2012, 06:17 PM
Re: Just thinking about a clear liquid diet is making me starve!!! What did you eat?

Dont worry. After the bowel prep kicks in, the last thing you will be thinking about is eating! Just make sure you drink lots and fluids during the bowel prep. I drank a glass of something everytime I " went", which was .....well...a lot! I hate gatorade, but I made myself drink it diluted with water. And I drank white grape juice and just water and had some chicken broth. Usually your doctors office gives you very specific instructions on what they want you to use. I had to use Halflyte ( sp). Which i mixed with crystal lite lemonade mix, and threw away the flavor packs that came with the prep because I heard they were awful! It wasnt so bad to drink, but my * got really sore and raw from going and wiping. Vaseline helps, but doesnt completely save you.
Sorry, i know its TMI, but you aren' t prepared if no one gives it to you straight. My hardest thing was the day of surgery, because they were running behind, so instead of 9:30, they wheeled me in at 1:00! I was so thirsty!
Good luck. Will be thinking of you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-13-2012, 06:20 PM

I haven't had my hysterectomy yet but just had to do the whole bowel prep for a colonoscopy last week. On my liquid diet day I had a delicious breakfast of lemon jello followed by several cups of tea; a snack of lemon jello with more tea; lunch was a hearty serving of chicken broth with a dessert of lemon sorbet and some ginger ale to switch things up; dinner was another big mug of chicken broth with - you guessed it - lemon jello. And lots of water throughout the day. I was pretty tired of lemon by the end of it all, but because I was having a colonoscopy I couldn't have any red, green or purple dye. There was nothing else I could find that didn't have those colors in it. At least you could have some variety in your jello colors. I really didn't feel too hungry through it all, either. I was worried I would get a migraine since I tend to get them if I don't eat properly, but I lucked out. No headache. I'm not sure what to do with the Magnesium Citrate. I had a prescription prep. Best of luck with it!
Unread 04-13-2012, 06:35 PM

I've done the bowel prep before a laparoscopy and the anticipation of starving is worse than the not eating, because like someone said earlier, once you start "going" you won't want to eat. Also, I recommend some baby powder with aloe for your bottom, it really does get sore and raw. The best thing to do is try to keep busy so you don't think about food, TV is horrible because there's always an ad for something to eat! Read or do a puzzle are my suggestions.
Unread 04-13-2012, 06:36 PM

I thought the chicken broth smelled/tasted like dog food and found that I liked the beef broth much better. I also had been told to get the grape flavored magnesium citrate. I found it at Walgreens, and it didn't taste too bad. It was sort of like a strong Gatorade. I ate Popsicles a lot.... And she's right...once the bowel prep kicks in, you don't worry about hunger. I had to do an enema after all of that. Misery.... I tell people that the day before surgery and the day after are the two most difficult days!
Unread 04-13-2012, 06:45 PM

My surgery is the first one on Monday morning i have to be there at 5 am sugery at 7:15 am my bowel prep instuctions was 10 am sunday a 10oz bottle of manesium citrate another at noon and the 3 pm 2 dulcolax. all clear stuff to eat no red oragne or pink dye. nothing creamed or no milk. I hate the feeling of hungery but it is what it is.
Unread 04-13-2012, 07:05 PM

This article might be helpful: Liquid Diet - What Can I Eat?

I couldn't have red or purple but was allowed blue so I had blue Jello Jigglers, Beef Broth and Beef Consume, and Gatorade. Boring to be sure but I had both salt and sugar, and the jigglers let me chew so I could pretend I was eating. I avoided chicken broth and lemon as both remind me of having the flu! I don't typically care for Gatorade but it can help keep your electrolytes up.

It isn't a fun day, but you can get through it!
Unread 04-13-2012, 07:16 PM

Call your doc or nurse mine told me I could have gummy bears, it was a lifesaver! It at least made me feel like I was eating something!! Good luck
Unread 04-13-2012, 07:27 PM

I had mostly Gatorade and Jello. I had two different flavors of each. I also had a Coke because I can't stand black coffee but didn't want to induce a lack-of-caffeine headache. (I really missed my morning mocha.)

I had a pretty stringent bowel prep and ended up feeling very nauseous. I found that having a savory liquid such as chicken broth helped because everything else was sweet. The savory/salty stuff seemed to balance it out a bit.

Good luck.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register