Symptoms 9 months post-op - concerning? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Symptoms 9 months post-op - concerning? Symptoms 9 months post-op - concerning?

Unread 07-31-2010, 01:32 PM
Symptoms 9 months post-op - concerning?

I have my abdominal hysterectomy back in November of last year and have recovered fairly normally since then. In the last two or three months I've really not thought much about my surgery. However, in the past few weeks, I've had some soreness, swelling and crampy type pain around my incision site that is worrisome. Feels like I've returned to about 3 months post-op. It has impacted my walking and stretching regimen, so now I am putting on weight again. did see my doctor and she did an external/internal exam, and said nothing feels wrong, but to come back and see her if the pain continues.
I'm worried about adhesions. I don't want any more surgeries!! Has anyone else experienced symptoms like this a long while after surgery?
Wondering
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-31-2010, 01:57 PM
Re: Symptoms 9 months post-op - concerning?

Hi Boolea,
Sorry to hear that you are having "issues" but to let you know that I am right there with you. I had a LAVH in October. I still have bad swelly belly, period like cramps and my "inny" belly button has become an "outy" along with incisional pain at belly button and burning. I saw a general surgeon last week and he sd that I have a small incisional hernia but he feels that does not have anything to do with the swelling and period cramps. Next week I go to the gyno for a vaginal ultrasound. They say up to a year to recover so maybe that is hopefully all it is for you. I too feel like I have taken a step backwards by a few months. I will keep you updated.
Heidi
Unread 08-01-2010, 08:12 AM

Heidi,
Thanks for your response. I wonder what is up with the period-like cramps? I've read a few posts about that. Yesterday I was very uncomfortable, walking and sneezing hurt (and i have a cold...)
Yes, please keep me posted....I'm scratching my head over this...
Boo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-01-2010, 09:50 AM

Doesn't it just stink to be having problems this far out from surgery? I would have thought that we would be running a marathon by now, not having pain while sneezing. Hope your cold gets better and I will let you know what the gyno says on Tuesday. Maybe he will have some answers that can help us both.
Unread 08-01-2010, 03:05 PM

Yes, it does stink! Especially when I was doing fine for months. It's like, did I DO something wrong??
Thanks for keeping me posted~
Unread 08-01-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by october1 View Post
Doesn't it just stink to be having problems this far out from surgery? I would have thought that we would be running a marathon by now, not having pain while sneezing. Hope your cold gets better and I will let you know what the gyno says on Tuesday. Maybe he will have some answers that can help us both.
Oh, Lord. You still have pain when you sneeze? That's not good news. I dread sneezing, and assumed the pain would go away soon enough. But you're telling me this might last awhile? Sheesh.
Unread 08-01-2010, 04:03 PM

Hi, I'm three months post-op, and I have also been experiencing that "period-like" cramping pain around my incision. It is very annoying. I don't understand why we still have to suffer from this. That infernal organ is gone....and we STILL feel the aftershocks?! This is crazy! I sincerely hope you feel better soon. After 9 months you'd think that there would be a notable improvement. Maybe it is all the muscles and tissues constricting and shrinking??? It's too bad we can't see what's going on inside our bodies.

I can also totally relate to being afraid to sneeze. Whenever I feel a sneeze coming on, I quickly blow my nose to remove whatever it is that is triggering it. So far I've been successful. When I cough, I also get that pulling pain. Hopefully this all goes away soon.
Unread 08-02-2010, 04:56 PM

Peppercat,
I do have (not so fond) memories of thinking that the initial healing stage goes verrry slow. I don't think they prepare us adequately for it. But it seemed like all of a sudden I didn't think about it that much anymore, and I was so relieved...plus I was losing weight gradually. I had no worries anymore about sneezing/coughing.
What is concerning to me is that I seem to have regressed somewhat.
Did you have a full abdominal, or laparascopic surgery?
Unread 08-03-2010, 11:48 AM

Boolea,
I had a Subtotal Abdominal Hysterectomy and both ovaries removed (bikini cut). Perhaps this is why it is taking me so long to feel normal. The pain that I normally get is on each side of the incision (corners),.....though today's pain is right in the center. I went for a really long walk yesterday, so maybe this is why it hurts so much today. Then again I'm only 3 months out, so there is probably a lot of internal healing that is still going on in there. Did you have endometriosis? I had a very severe case of endo. They found it everywhere! My surgery took 5 hours to complete. Maybe this explains the pain.

I hope you get some relief soon.
Unread 08-08-2010, 07:21 AM

Hi Peppercat,

I can tell you that it does take a lot of time to heal. Your abdominal muscles were cut and organs were moved around, handled, removed. It is traumatic. You are right, lots of internal healing.
I am 9 months out and still feeling it. The good news is, gradually you will think less and less about it. Just go slow and pace yourself with getting back to your previous activities. It'll happen. If you have any symptoms that are new to you, see your doc.
I didn't have endometriosis, just a very enlarged uterus from a 2 lb fibroid tumor...ugh. I experienced some hormonal symptoms during my first couple of months, but they seem to be milder now.
You'll get there! :-)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register