surgery date - getting anxious! Severe Endo. Worried about blood clots and transfusions | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

surgery date - getting anxious! Severe Endo. Worried about blood clots and transfusions surgery date - getting anxious! Severe Endo. Worried about blood clots and transfusions

Unread 01-07-2016, 05:44 PM
surgery date - getting anxious! Severe Endo. Worried about blood clots and transfusions

finally found the courage to set the date! Feb 15th...eeek...now things seem real. I'm up for a TAH with ovary removal and excision of severe endometriosis and large fibroid removal! Will be a vertical incision. I can't stop thinking about it....I'm very imaginative and also not so much an optimist so this combination is causing me some anxious thinking. My feelings are swinging back and forth. I guess this is all normal. I'm worried about things like bleeding and blood clots. I've been told I may likely need a blood transfusion. This would be from loss of blood as a result of surgery, but it doesn't mean the bleeding is out of control right? They have ways to control the bleeding??
My sister had a blood clot many years ago - she had a broken pelvis from an accident so was obviously unable to move for a long time. Are they able to pick up whether you'd be at risk or find the issue before it gets too serious? These are my main worries. Sometimes more knowledge is helpful, but sometimes it gives just another thing to worry about!! Can anyone relate? I guess I'm a non- medical person and many of my concerns might be through ignorance.
Suz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-12-2016, 04:05 PM
Re: surgery date - getting anxious! Severe Endo. Worried about blood clots and transfusions

I think most surgeons like to warn patients of the very worst case scenarios, but that's not to say that any of these scenarios will happen.

And then we all feel relieved when everything works out fine!

Unread 01-12-2016, 05:00 PM
Re: surgery date - getting anxious! Severe Endo. Worried about blood clots and transfusions

Hello,
I am also having a TAH soon. Do you know if your hemoglobin is low? For all major surgeries a blood transfusion is possible as well as blood clot development. Try to look at this as information to be empowered by. They tell you this so you will not be surprised in the rare event that it does happen. And know that if these things do happen they can and will be treated. Since you are having an open procedure you are less likely to have uncontrolled bleeding because the surgeon has better access and visibility compared to a laparoscopic procedure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-12-2016, 10:13 PM

Does your doctor know about your sisters blood clot? A lot of doctors prescribe injectable blood thinners after the surgery, so maybe your doc would want to do that for you. I had a total hyster done in October via DaVinci procedure. I had a similar situation to yours. I had a mass the size of a small football to remove. I needed a transfusion afterwards. I really think that having an abdominal approach is the way to go. I feel like if I would have pushed for that, I wouldn't have bled so much because I feel like the doctor has more control and is better able to visualize the operative site. I also had other post op complications that I think were DaVinci caused. Hindsight is 20/20, but I would definitely do the abdominal approach if I had to do it over. BTW, the blood transfusion made me feel much better!
Unread 01-13-2016, 01:29 PM

Hi,

I have a clotting disorder and because of that I'm scheduled for TLH. As long as the doctor is aware you may have a family history of clotting they can prepare.

I'm off my blood thinners on Jan 16 and the night of surgery I take a double dose along with injectable fragmin and for the next week I continue in that manner until my blood tests are back to therapeutic range.

You should walk as much as you can afterwards and drink water.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register