3 days post hysterectomy: Do I have a kidney infection? Having pain in my back | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

3 days post hysterectomy: Do I have a kidney infection? Having pain in my back 3 days post hysterectomy: Do I have a kidney infection? Having pain in my back

Unread 06-30-2016, 08:18 PM
3 days post hysterectomy: Do I have a kidney infection? Having pain in my back

Abdominal Hysterectomy June 27 and released Wed June29.
I've eaten at every meal for the first time today and I may not be drinking as much.
My urine seems a little slower and I am having pain in my back. This morning I attributed it to walking a little too much ( still don't know how much is too much when it comes to walking).

But tonight, my back is still hurting.

What do I do? Is back pain normal? I am assuming it is as your muscles may be compensating for the pain in your abdomen.

Not sure what to do and oh, I haven't had a bm yet, but I have been passing gas.

Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-30-2016, 08:56 PM
Re: Do I have a kidney infection? Having pain in my back

Back pain could be various things including your position during surgery...
Unfortunately only your doctor can give you a diagnosis, if you are concerned, please give your doctor a call.

Also, please remember that drinking plenty of water is key to this surgery recovery, don't skip it.
Unread 06-30-2016, 09:18 PM

Hmmm. Since the back pain is new, maybe it is connected to a kidney problem. Maybe I will just drink lots of water and see if it gets better tomorrow. If it doesn't, I guess I will have to call.

I don't want to call the doctor for every little thing though, especially if someone on here has had this same thing.

Anyone else have this?

Is there a way to look at archived questions so I can compare my problem with what they had?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-01-2016, 02:27 AM

Hi, back aches post op are normal.. The positions we're put in at surgery, our abs a weaker post op & the back is doing all the work. This pain mostly lower part of the back to mid. Also you could still have gas from surgery & that can even go high up to chest & shoulder..

Im guessing its not kidneys.. BF youre discharged, just 3 days ago, full labs are done. UtI tends occur easily. Urine tends to b cloudy if UTI. Weaker urine stream is typical post op bc everything is swollen now & it will take time for everything to resume to normal. Kidney pain would b higher up mid back.

Since you mentioned you're eating, have gas & havent had a bm yet, Id say the discomfort is related to post op constipation. Gas can give you a backache. Id say your issue right now is to work on the GI system. Which can be off for weeks..Get on stool softeners, lots of water during recovery & walking. Walk, rest rotate. The 1st bm can be painful. When try to go, put feel on stool & lean towards knees or pull knees to chest. Eat apples, prunes, figs, veggies, pumpkin seeds, nuts, magnesium. Avoid starchy foods like pasta, rice, etc. Peppermint tea for gas. Eat liter small meals thru the day vs 3 large meals. Drs want us to go by day 5.. If you need more help, Dr Pepper w prune juice or milk of magnesia. I also liked Fiber1 bars w hot tea, then lots of water... get up walking & If you want to keep easy access snacks near where youre parked, apple & pumpkin seeds work well... Many like Smooth move tea. You just had major surgery. Organs were handled, decrease in estrogen can affect digestion too. Progrsterone during mid cycles affect too. Everything will be off & will need time to restore back to normal. Feel better!
Unread 07-01-2016, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetiepie741 View Post
Hmmm. Since the back pain is new, maybe it is connected to a kidney problem. Maybe I will just drink lots of water and see if it gets better tomorrow. If it doesn't, I guess I will have to call.

I don't want to call the doctor for every little thing though, especially if someone on here has had this same thing.

Anyone else have this?

Is there a way to look at archived questions so I can compare my problem with what they had?

Depends on where your back pain is. I get middle back pain so I know it's not my kidneys. Folks I know who've had kidney infections started off with UTIs which got out of control, and by the time it got to their kidneys, many days had passed.

There's not an archive here as such, but the Search box under and to the right of the blue navigation bar (Diagnosis, Alternatives... Hysterectomy Checkpoints, etc.) is absolutely excellent! Type in "back ache" "swelly belly" or anything else, and you'll find a long hit list of previous threads and articles if something was written about it. I use it all the time.

I usually suggest calling the doc for peace of mind if you're still anxious after researching, for they know the questions to ask and they're not typing through a forum. This might be one of those cases if you want assurance. Rest well!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register