quick question?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

quick question?? quick question??

Unread 03-12-2008, 04:58 PM
quick question??

Hi there. My hysteroctomy is April 14th. My doc told my that we will be doingt it abdominally, and I will be in the hospital for about 3 days. Sounds right... Well I just got the approval letter in the mail from tha insurance and IT said that I am having a Laparo-Asst Vag Hysterec and my days approved is 1 day... What the??? kinda confused. Does anyone know what this means. I am a very organized person, very type A person. This has me going crazy. I left a message for the doc office, they are closed already. I know that am just going to have to wait, but just thought I'd ask if anyone knows about this wording?? My docs off ice called me after talking to the ins and said that everything is a go and set up and fine. I am not sure if it is just wording ar if something changed?? Help me if you can!!!
Thanks Carla
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2008, 05:28 PM
quick question??

They've got you down for a procedure (laproscopic) that is considerably less involved than an abdominal. If they're able to do your surgery this way, I understand it to mean that you will have a shorter recovery time. (which means WHOO-HOO for you)

The doc may have listed it that way because of the insurance, so if you have to have abdominal (sometimes they don't know until they have you in surgery), you're already there and they have to approve it. Or something like that. I had no problems with my insurance at all, so maybe someone else can clarify.
Unread 03-12-2008, 05:43 PM
quick question??

Quote:
Originally Posted by soprano2
They've got you down for a procedure (laproscopic) that is considerably less involved than an abdominal. If they're able to do your surgery this way, I understand it to mean that you will have a shorter recovery time. (which means WHOO-HOO for you)

The doc may have listed it that way because of the insurance, so if you have to have abdominal (sometimes they don't know until they have you in surgery), you're already there and they have to approve it. Or something like that. I had no problems with my insurance at all, so maybe someone else can clarify.
Thanks for trying to help.. I actually just got off the phone with th ins and they said that it is listed like that just as a code #... I am just easily freaked out about all of this so I freaked. But now I understand.
Thanks for your input!!!
Carla
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2008, 08:07 PM
quick question??

Perhaps they are hoping to be able to do the LAVH but are preparing you for the idea that they may end up going in abdominally?

And whatever procedure you have, your insurance pre-approval is just a starting point. If your doctor feels you need to stay longer, the staff will get more time approved by your insurance company.
Unread 03-13-2008, 12:59 AM
quick question??

When I got notification from my insurance company that authorization was given, they listed my surgery as a TAH/BSO with approval for 1 day. I knew that I would need more than one day in the hospital, but I didn't worry about it. A week after my surgery, I got a second notification on my auth stating that they approved the full 3-days stay.

I would not worry about the type of surgery listed nor the amount of days approved. Most, if not all insurance companies will do an adjustment on the authorization if there is a discrepancy with medical documentation. The authorization is used mainly for claims-paying purposes. I should know - I work in medical claims for an HMO.

If you continue to have problems with your insurance company on the payment, make sure you contact them and your MD's office.

Good luck to you on your surgery!
Unread 03-13-2008, 05:49 AM
quick question??

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonks40
When I got notification from my insurance company that authorization was given, they listed my surgery as a TAH/BSO with approval for 1 day. I knew that I would need more than one day in the hospital, but I didn't worry about it. A week after my surgery, I got a second notification on my auth stating that they approved the full 3-days stay.

I would not worry about the type of surgery listed nor the amount of days approved. Most, if not all insurance companies will do an adjustment on the authorization if there is a discrepancy with medical documentation. The authorization is used mainly for claims-paying purposes. I should know - I work in medical claims for an HMO.

If you continue to have problems with your insurance company on the payment, make sure you contact them and your MD's office.

Good luck to you on your surgery!
Thanks for the input.... I just freak out easily right now!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register