Okay, called nurse about recovery time after LAVH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Okay, called nurse about recovery time after LAVH Okay, called nurse about recovery time after LAVH

Unread 11-10-2004, 04:14 PM
Okay, called nurse about recovery time after LAVH

And she said usually a week. Is this right? I work at home, sit all day at my computer, 10 hours for three days, then 7 hours the last day.

Should I only ask for one week off?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-10-2004, 04:24 PM

That sounds like a pretty vague answer to me. One week for what? Totally feeling better? Being able to sit for a long time? Being able to drive? For not being sore anymore? I don't know, but I'd want to know what she considers healed, to some it's being able to walk around by yourself, to other's it's being able to go back to work, and for some still it's feeling like yourself again. I would call again and ask her to clarify, if it were me.
Unread 11-10-2004, 04:27 PM
Time off for LAVH

In knowing how long to ask for time off of work. She has to fax an off work letter to my employer and I told her I was seeing postings of longer than a week. She said the doctor usually says a week to be back to normal. Asked if I had previous surgeries, I said yes, two c-sections and an abdominal cholecystectomy. Went in for a laparoscopic, but gallbladder was pre-gangrene.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-10-2004, 04:45 PM

For an LAVH, you will need, at least, 4 weeks. I am at my 2 week mark. I am feeling great, as long as I don't do anything!
I am still quite sore.

Going back to work after one week would be a disaster. I don't know what that nurse is talking about!

Ask your doctor before faxing anything to your employer!
Unread 11-10-2004, 04:48 PM
LAVH Recovery

Do you think sitting and typing would be difficult after a week?
Unread 11-10-2004, 05:22 PM

Yes. You will be exhausted after 5 minutes. I am still very sore and can't do any major walking lifting or bending. I STRONGLY advise asking your doctor as soon as possible. I was not even cleared to drive until 2 weeks post-op.

Are you having an LAVH? That is the impression I got.

That is what I had and I am having an excellent, trouble free, recovery. I don't even type when I work. I just sell pianos to people. No stress, no physical activity other than filling out contracts. I couldn't go back to work today and make it past an hour or two just sitting and waiting for customers!.

You will still be VERY SORE after 1 week. The anasthesia will just be wearing off completely. I am still quite sore after 2 weeks.

TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR FIRST.
Unread 11-10-2004, 06:28 PM

I had an LAVH and work at home sitting at a computer -- I started back 1/2 days at 3.5 weeks and back full time a week later.

I really don't think I could have gone back any sooner. Although I wasn't feeling bad, I was very sore and for the first couple of weeks my head was fuzzy due in part to the pain meds I am sure.

And it was just amazing how tired I got after doing little things like walking to the mailbox or sitting up for an hour!

It also bothered me to sit in one position for hours at a time. I alternated between my desk, my recliner and my desk for a week or so when I did go back.

Now I was 53 when I had the surgery - so if you are considerably younger, you might bounce back a bit faster.

This is the time to err on the side of caution I think - so take it slow and easy.

I would definitely consult your doctor.

Unread 11-10-2004, 08:36 PM

what one can do at any given time during recovery is totally individual...i've known people who need the full 4-6 weeks revovery and i know someone who went back to work (after exploratory adbominal surgery and partial oopherectomy and reconstruction of fallopian tubes) at 6 days post-op...follow your dr's orders and by all means let him/her know exactly how youre feeling throughout your recovery; only the professionals dealing with your individual case can tell you for sure what should/should not be done after surgery.
stay well
diana
Unread 11-10-2004, 09:14 PM

After LAVH I was back to work at my office part time at 3 weeks and full time at 4 weeks. If I had been able to work at home, I could have worked at two weeks - it was putting on the suit, nylons and heels that made it more difficult to spend much time the first week in the office. YOu'll find that likely you will need to nap for a couple of hours mid-day, though.
Unread 11-10-2004, 10:26 PM

I dont even work outside the home, but I do homeschool my children and I didnt even do that for two weeks. My first two weeks were my worst, things improved after that. My energy started to increase and my need for a nap daily decreased. My pain was only bad my first week. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register