da Vinci hysterectomy - doctor says 1 week recovery than back at work. Is this realistic???? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

da Vinci hysterectomy - doctor says 1 week recovery than back at work.  Is this realistic???? da Vinci hysterectomy - doctor says 1 week recovery than back at work. Is this realistic????

Unread 05-24-2015, 07:45 AM
Re: da Vinci hysterectomy - doctor says 1 week recovery than back at work. Is this realistic????

My da Vinci hysterectomy was May 14. I have been fine since day 4. I never had any real pain after the surgery. I teach and could have easily returned to my job at 1 week, but I'm out for the summer right now. This surgery has been much easier than I anticipated. I feel great. I was so worried about it. I am 41, a little overweight, not in bad shape but definitely not one to workout everyday. I have had no issues so far and have only taken 3 pain pills total since the surgery. I only took those before I went to bed the first 3 night just in case . I came home the same day as my surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-24-2015, 07:57 AM
Re: da Vinci hysterectomy - doctor says 1 week recovery than back at work. Is this realistic????

Fatigue can be an issue. I had a da Vinci. Was walking about 3 kms a day by week two. There was no way I could possibly have returned to work after a week. The da Vinci method still involves cutting and cauterising on the inside. I took six weeks and still felt very tired when I went back to work.
Unread 05-24-2015, 08:23 AM
da Vinci hysterectomy - doctor says 1 week recovery than back at work. Is this realistic????

I am just recovering from my davinci hysterectomy on Friday. I spent a day and a half in the hospital and came home yesterday late afternoon.

While I feel pretty good so far, I can't imagine going back to work after a week.

I was told 2 - 6 weeks off. I'm hoping to go back after 3 bit we'll see. I'm milking this for all I can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-24-2015, 01:32 PM

I had the davinci at noon on Friday the 15th and was released by noon the next day. My doctor wanted me stay in the hospital 2 nights but the insurance company would not approve it.

So I am 1 week and 2 days out from surgery. I would not want to go to work at this point. Though I feel pretty good and getting stronger everyday. I still feel achy and weak and standing or sitting up for more than 20 minutes gets very tiring.

On Friday, which was 1 week out, I cleaned my place up and played a bit with my toddler grandson. That night I had light vaginal bleeding for the first time since surgery so I've slowed myself back down.

I feel that it is important to heal. It hurts when I get up and bend over or turn. Not a terrible pain but definitely enough to let me know that there is more healing needed.

I do wish that I had one of the waist support bands that are sold on this site.
Unread 05-24-2015, 07:11 PM

I had a TVH on May 21. I checked in at 8:30am, surgery started at 10:40am and I was out of surgery and in recovery by 11:45. I went home at 3pm. Just remember that we are all different and we heal in our own time. I took 2 weeks off from work, but will be doing payroll and some other stuff from home this week and next week. I feel great finally being pain free. My plan is to go back on June 8th to the office. Until then I will be chilling at home reading and crafting as I am able. I have some cramps and pain from coughing and sneezing but that is about all. My advice to you would be to eat very light meals before your surgery and talk to your doctor about stool softeners or laxatives. That was my biggest issue!
Unread 05-25-2015, 11:47 PM

I had a LAVH with the DaVinci on May 13th. My doctor recommended scheduling three weeks off work, so that's what I did.

Pain-wise, I feel I could return to work now, at almost two weeks post-op. I stopped the narcotic painkillers after about a week and just take Ibuprofen when needed now. But stamina-wise, I could not handle work. I am still needing a lot of sleep and get exhausted very easily. I have made trips to Target, Costco, etc but that will be only thing I can really handle in a day besides sitting on the couch or sleeping.

I have one friend who had the same procedure with the same doctor, and she returned to work after 10 days. She is a hairstylist, so she is on her feet all day!

Another friend who also did a LAVH with daVinci went back after two weeks (desk job) but said she wished she had waited three due to fatigue.

Everyone is different so it's hard to predict how much time you will need, but it does seem on the short side to me to only allow one week.
Unread 05-26-2015, 11:13 AM

My LAVH was da Vinci assist and I started back to work at 2 1/2 weeks. No lifting and I was able to sit or walk around if needed. My surgery was longer than the Dr expected, 5 1/2 hours, and I had a minor complication of a hematoma in recovery which caused more pain. You just never know how you will bounce back so it's best to plan for more time off if you can. Your fitness level pre surgery makes a difference to, in my opinion.
Unread 05-26-2015, 02:46 PM
da Vinci hysterectomy - doctor says 1 week recovery than back at work. Is this realistic????

I had a LAVH and went back to work a week later. I feel I should have listened to my dr when he warned against it b/c by midday I was exhausted and couldn't even function well at home In the afternoons.
Unread 05-26-2015, 03:23 PM

I had a TVH (no incisions). At my pre-op my surgeon told me I would spend one night in hospital and be off work for 6 weeks. I ended up staying 2 nights in hospital and wasn't released to return to work until 8 weeks (even though I had no real complications). I spent most of my first week in bed sleeping and couldn't sit for more than a few minutes for the better part of a week. I couldn't even sit long enough to eat dinner! I was very swollen and none of my clothes fit me.

As the ladies here mentioned, we all do heal differently and in our own time. Unfortunately, no one can say for sure what your recovery will be like. If possible, don't rush back to work too quickly as the fatigue and achiness can last a few weeks or even months. It's still major surgery, no matter what the method is.

Unread 05-26-2015, 04:12 PM

I didn't have the da Vinci, but I had a LAVH which is similar. I could not have gone back at one week. I went back at four weeks, but in truth, another week off would have been about perfect. I feel like I pushed it a little.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register