The Pain Factor | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

The Pain Factor The Pain Factor

Unread 05-06-2003, 04:57 AM
The Pain Factor

My surgery is Monday. I think I am most concerned about the pain factor when I wake up from the surgery. We are planning on LAVH, at least one ovary will be taken, not sure about the other. Probably a bladder tack as well. Is it really excrutiating pain when you wake up or are they putting the pain meds in you while you are still sleeping?
My surgery is scheduled for 7:30 am. I have pretty much figured I would get little, if any sleep the night before. My logic is that if that happens, that will just make me more tired the next day so I will sleep more, then I can sleep through the pain Is this bad logic, should I really try to force myself to sleep the night before or will it matter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-06-2003, 06:47 AM
The Pain Factor

Hi

I think almost everybody is worried about the pain. When you thinkof what is going to be done to you it really seems like you will experience excruciating pain afterwards. NOT. It really doesn't happen that way. You do get pain medication during surgery (they have to use it or your body would react in a way that would make it difficult to do surgery) and as it wears off in Recovery you feel some pain but once that starts to happen they start medicating you for it. You stay in Recovery until your pain is well under control and that doesn't take all that long, as a general rule. Pain control is pretty sophisticated these days. Even without medication at all (that happened to me) the pain is not something you couldn't live with for awhile. It gets dramatically better day by day in the first few days.

Surgery is a very draining experience. It really saps your energy. If you can sleep the night before it would be helpful, but you'll be fine if you don't, too.

Hope things go well and you're back here telling everybody that the waiting is SO much harder than the surgery and recovery!!
Unread 05-06-2003, 06:48 AM
Hi Bethany,

I had a TAH, so I'm speaking from my experience only here.

When you wake up in the recovery room, you may be in pretty bad pain, but it only lasts for a few minutes. They will not give you pain meds while you are asleep, you have to be awake enough to verbalize that you are in pain. But once you do let them know, they are very quick to give you something that will relieve most of the pain. They will also make sure that your pain remains under control. My pain, with a TAH, never got above a 3 or 4 on a scale of 1 to 10.

In regards to sleeping the night before, believe me, you're going to get plenty of sleep for a couple of days. If you're like me, the anesthesia made me groggy for two full days, and I mostly slept for that length of time.

Best wishes on your upcoming surgery and lots of s,

Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-06-2003, 10:00 AM
The Pain Factor

I had major abdominal surgery in 99 and when I woke in recovery I was very sore and uncomfortable but not in excruciating pain. They do alot to keep things bearable and in my case it really wasnt that bad and I controlled the pain with 800mg ibuprofen and nothing more from day 1. Of course everyone's pain perception is different and some people have a higher pain tolerance than others.

Im not worried about the pain this time (TVH) because I know how great everyone is at making sure you are comfy, in my hospital. Im sure there will be some soreness and discomfort.. but it should never be unbearable.

Discuss your pain management options with the doctor before surgery and then again with the nurses and anesthesiologist the day of the surgery. Make your wishes known and that you are very concerned about pain management and Im sure they will do everything they can to help you through it. Speaking up really does make a difference

s to you.
Unread 05-06-2003, 10:28 AM
Pain

Hi,

Also speaking only from experience, I think my "pain management" started before I was taken in for surgery.

When the anesthesiologist was going through his list of questions, he asked my if I drank (alcohol) and how much. I told him maybe 2 of drinks a week .....but told if he was offering something, make it a margaritta. Nervous humor, I guess.

He gave me something to relax. Let me tell you, I was relaxed!

My husband tells me that I had an entire conversation with another anesthesiologist that I don't even remember. My DR said that I woke right before going to recovery and spoke to him. Again, no memory.

I never felt what I would call pain. The discomfort I had wasn't until I was settled into my room, and that was well managed by the nurses.

In my opinion, the key is to speak up! If you're in pain, let them know so they can do something to relieve it.

I also had a hard time sleeping the night before and spent the whole next day sleeping, which was good. I was exhausted and needed the rest.

I hope you have a great experience and that all goes smoothly.

Take care,
Unread 05-06-2003, 10:37 AM
The Pain Factor

Thanks so much for all your posts. My doctor told me at the appointment when we set this up that he would make sure I was comfortable and had minimum pain...but he is a guy LOL. To read about all of your adventures makes me feel so much better! I go for my pre-op appointment Thursday, so I will verify the pain meds with him then =)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register