Scheduled TAH TAH on Jan 13th, only 11 days left, getting so nervous! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TAH on Jan 13th, only 11 days left, getting so nervous! TAH on Jan 13th, only 11 days left, getting so nervous!

Unread 01-01-2010, 11:19 PM
TAH on Jan 13th, only 11 days left, getting so nervous!

They are also taking both ovaries, cervix, not sure if this is assumed with an abdominal hysterectomy. I have MS and Lupus, so I will need IV steroids the entire stay in the hospital, which will slow down the healing. What should I expect? How is the pain after surgery? I will be in for at least 3-4 days, what should I expect when I get home with regards to pain, and will I be able to do anything besides rest on the couch? I am just getting so nervous, thank you so much for any advice or help. I am trying to calm myself, but each day I am getting worse. I have a wonderful husband thank god, and 2 beautiful boys, 8 and 10, so at least they are not babies. Please help me to calm down and understand what to expect. Will I bleed after the surgery, will I need pads? Is there alot of pain once I am home? thank you and many hugs to you all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2010, 03:19 AM
TAH on Jan 13th, only 11 days left, getting so nervous!

Hi there. I wish you well for your upcoming surgery and yes you will have some pain but that will be managed by your pain rx. You will have to rest a lot but then you will heal from this and the pain will be gone. Its completely normal to be nervous but it will be fine, you will be fine. I'm sending lots of healing hugs to you.
Unread 01-02-2010, 03:44 AM
Re: TAH on Jan 13th, only 11 days left, getting so nervous!

hi, well to answer some of your questions..

What should I expect? I'm not sure if you're having 'open' surgery, viginal or key hole.. I had 'open' surgery with a heap of un-related complications so can't answer this one.. for me.. I read a lot so had a great deal of knowledge about what to expect.. so that and ask lots and lots of questions..even ones you think are 'stupid' they won't be.. ask away you need information.

How is the pain after surgery? tbh I didn't feel any pain until they started reducing the pain meds. they give you heaps and heaps of drugs so don't worry in the slightest about this. you will be in cloud happy land and be a merry little soul all together so don't worry at all. They usually put you on a morpine drip.. they did that with me. it was great! ha ha! I got all sorts of medication to stop different kinds of pain. the pain only started as they tried to reduce the medication bit by bit.. and they like to get you up and about walking with a walking aid and that is quite horrible at first.. but do it every day and it gets easier and easier each time.

I will be in for at least 3-4 days, what should I expect when I get home with regards to pain, and will I be able to do anything besides rest on the couch? nope you won't be up to anything.. you'll be very very tired firstly (from the operation.. any operation makes you really tired) and you'll be sore.. I found sitting at the computer or even on the sofa nearly impossible for a long time.. it was just sore inside and uncomfortable. I also couldn't lie on my side in bed for about 2 weeks.. that was uncomfortable but just get a heap of dvd's.. stay in bed and do nothing.. it will get better.

I am just getting so nervous, thank you so much for any advice or help. I am trying to calm myself, but each day I am getting worse. I have a wonderful husband thank god, and 2 beautiful boys, 8 and 10, so at least they are not babies. - yes you're very lucky in this respect.. a) that you've had your babies as many women on this board haven't and now can't and b) you children are older so much easier to handle.. mine were 4, 1.5 and newborn when my hyster took place so count your blessings you've no nappies to change!

Will I bleed after the surgery, will I need pads? not normally.. you do get some discharge which is brownish but nothing really. what I found hard is to ditch the pads.. even the pantyliners altogether.. I just expected to bleed but never did after about week 1. even at first there was only a tiny bit nothing to speak of really.

Is there alot of pain once I am home? don't worry yourself too much.. try to think ahead past the operation. operations suck pretty much all round (I've had quite a few and it's the same story re the hyster). You sound youngish when you mention the age of your children.. I'm 37 (was 36 when I had my hyster.. cervix gone but kept ovaries). I can't even remember 'periods' all that blood and pain.. can't believe I used to go through that every month.. have to say it's fantastic not having them any more! just think about that and how much easier life will be minus periods!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2010, 04:56 AM

I have my surgery in Feb and TAH is what I have opted for. I am still struggling on if I should keep 1 of my ovaries or not. But for somone who was freaking out just yesterday I am going to suggest some things:
1) Breathe and take control again. We begin to get nervous when we feel we don't have control. Knowledge is power. When I say breathe I mean deep breaths from the stomach. In slow (feel your stomach come forward) and out slow (Push all the air out of your stomach) do this a couple of times and hopefully you will feel more relaxed.
2) Think positive. Learn all you can and then instead of focusing on the negative focus on the positve.
3) Plan. Make a plan for you and your family. Plan for the days that you feel good and for the days that are not so good. When I say plan I mean: Do you like crosswords? Video's? Have things available for example: clean sheets available BEFORE surgery so you don't have to explain to the family where they are and then get frustrated b/c they still could not find them.
8 and 10 year olds are not babies but they still need mommy but this is a great time for them to help mommy. If they ask then let them help, it helps them feel good about themsleves.
4) Keep busy until the surgery. Idol minds can make us NUTS. Thinking of the "what ifs" can also make us crazy.
5) Do your best to think and stay positive. I understand that you have other issues but you will conquer it.
6) Stay connected with the site. This is a great support network and you will not feel so alone.
Unread 01-02-2010, 06:50 PM

thank you all for your great advice and support. To answer your question, I am having an abdominal hysterectomy, and I am losing both ovaries and cervix too. It is all going. I have several masses they have been watching that although did not shrink from the Lupron, my doctor feels the risk of cancer is low from the way they look. They are complex, endomitriomas. I am so glad I found this website, I do not know what I would do without it. Many hugs to all of you! I do feel blessed everyday that I was able to conceive and have boys, prior to being diagnosed with anything, even MS and Lupus. My heart goes out to those who are unable due to this horrible disease. You are all in my thoughts and prayers, and again, thank you so much for taking the time to put my mind at ease.
Unread 01-05-2010, 05:31 PM

iloveyoga,

The other sisters have answered you well but I have one thing to add. Don't hesitate to speak up about your pain or about what you need. If you say nothing, the doctors will assume that you are fine. If you start having hormonal problems, speak up. Your doctor doesn't know what you don't say.

Best wishes,
Cynthjia

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register