Questions, only 5 days post op--pls help | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Questions, only 5 days post op--pls help Questions, only 5 days post op--pls help

Unread 04-10-2005, 05:34 AM
Questions, only 5 days post op--pls help

Hi. I've had to BM's since i came home on friday.

Doc said use milk of magnesium, it worked well.

The problem is, I am still very Gassy but it wont pass, even with the Gas X and stool softners.

WHEN will it begin to be okay again? Is this something I should worry about?

also, when i sleep, i awaken in awful pain even w/pain killers, when I do get up I go to potty and pee, which seems to relive a lil of the pain.

LASTLY......I've read where alot are tiired, I too get tired, problem is... I fall asleep ANYWHERE. Yesterday I fell asleep on toilet, then while leaning on kitchen counter, and even when I am talking.

Have any of you had this happen?

What should my pain level be?

BTW, I am walking and drinking lots and lots of water, however, I m just not hungry. The swelly belly is awful. The scale still says same?

PLS respond, i am desperate for answers.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2005, 06:26 AM

Hi there! I too was stopped up after coming home from the hospital. I used stool softeners, ate prunes and apples and drank plenty of water! My sister works in a nursing home and they give their "clients" milk of magnesia, 1 tsp., with warmed up prune juice, 6 oz.. It worked well for me and allowed the gas to pass as well. Although before I did that I used a suppository and I think not on purpose but just from muscle contractions that I pushed a bit too hard and now it feels different inside.

Good luck and I hope for the best for you. Gas X didn't work for me cuz it kept it all inside. Prunes worked wonders.

My thoughts are with you
Unread 04-10-2005, 06:42 AM

Gas X is more for stomach gas. You have bowel gas.

It is a killer. At least it was for me. Glad to hear you are still going Bm. Keep drinking water, and walking some. Lay on your left side with the righ leg bent andup [to make you legs look like the # 4.]This might help.

I also would 'spread my cheeks' [a bit]with my hand a bit to help the gas out as I was told not to push...It took a week for the 'big gas' to come out....and I still now at 2 weeks and 5 days have gas pains and [excuse me ] farts. I think it is just our systems getting back to 'normal' after a huge shock.

As for you falling asleep...be careful. You wouldn't want to fall and hurt yourself. Take lots of naps. You NEED them. The first week , or so, I bet I took 2 d ay, and slept at night also. Some naps were only 1/2 an hour...some were 3 hours. Doesn't matter, your body needs the sleep.

Kate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2005, 07:43 AM

I am 3 week post op most of the pain is now gone . the second week was the worst for me. Peeing does help relieve the pain but i had a hard time even doing that up until now. I think all your pain you are descrbing is normal. and the sleeping all hte time yes i did that too. partly b/c of the pain meds but hang on cause i know cant sleep no matter what i do. take it easy it will get better
Unread 04-10-2005, 07:56 AM

I am 4 1/2 weeks postop (TAH) and I didn't really have too much of a problem with gas pains, but I did have a problem sleeping. I contacted my dr and he advised that otc sleep remedies were okay to take. I used those and drank some sleepy time tea and it really helped. Hang in there, it does get better!
Unread 04-10-2005, 08:55 AM

You sound like you're having a tough time right now.

Don't worry, it does get better.

My gyn. nurse suggested drinking hot tea. She said any hot drink would help getting things moving. Peppermint tea is good for gas. I used it, and I am not a hot or cold tea drinker. It did seem to help.

The pain pills could be part of the problem falling asleep everywhere. That should get better as you get better and use less pain medications. In the meantime, rest.

I understand about not feeling hungry. I didn't the first few days at home. I drank a lot of water. And ate easy light stuff. Jello, was my favorite thing to eat and popsicles. Just hang in there it well get better.

Donna
Unread 04-10-2005, 09:14 AM

I too had the pains your having when you pee. Then they go away. Our bladders are moved around so much that it takes time. I would say your pain meds. are making you so sleepy.

Your only 5 days out. You need the rest.
Unread 04-10-2005, 10:19 AM

Hi,
I had my TAH on 4/4 and I'm finding the same pain with gas that you are having. I don't think I'm having as much pain as you are, but I'd have to say the things causing me the most pain are a full bladder or a pending BM. I think everything down there is just upset at being pushed around during the surgery.

Thanks to all that post to our questions. It's reassuring to know I'm not along with this and that this too will 'pass' (sorry for bad pun)

-Mary
Unread 04-10-2005, 10:19 AM

Hi There, I had my Tah and ovarary removal on 3-24-2005. I had the same exact problems. The gas left at about 10-11 days, I have lost 19 pounds (I call it the gas and pain diet).Prune Juice/gas-ex and an apple is what finially got me over it I eat about 6-8 prunes a day. still. I found that when I laid down if I shift from my left side 20 minutes and then to my right. it really helps with the gas and finally led to a poop.I still have lots of trouble sitting for any length of time. Good luck. Were all in this together....
Unread 04-10-2005, 10:24 AM

4reality

You are only 5 days postop. You have been through major surgery and your body has suffered trauma. It takes time to feel better. It takes time for all the anesthesia to totally leave the body. To be sleelpy at this point is probably more normal than not. To wake up and have pain is probably more normal than not. Try walking to help move the gas. Drink lots of fluids to help flush the drugs out.

Be sure to rest. You really don't want to overdue at this point. You only have one chance to heal. Not only is your incision healing but you are healing on the inside as well.

If you are not sure how well you are doing or if you want to know if something is normal, do call you doctor.

Take Care and s
JaneB

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register