No Appetite and Unable to sleep | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

No Appetite and Unable to sleep No Appetite and Unable to sleep

Unread 08-24-2010, 02:02 AM
No Appetite and Unable to sleep

I had my SAH on July 14th and I am still having problems sleeping and have a lack of appetite. I usually can get through an entire day without eating until about 3:45 p.m. and I will maybe eat an apple and vanilla yogurt, if that and then a spinach salad with two boiled eggs in the evening and six almonds, other than that I have no appetite. I know this is probably not enough food, but that is all I can get eat. I was eating oatmeal before for breakfast, but now I am just can't do it anymore. I just have minimal pain that is bearable, taking an extra strength Tylenol and my Motrin still for swelling yesturday on my first day back at work.

Has anyone had any problems as such?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-24-2010, 02:12 AM
Re: No Appetite and Unable to sleep

Well, I'm awake with you. I'm almost two weeks post op and my appetite has gone down. I did the oatmeal too to get things moving. Now, yogurt or breakfast bar is enough for me. Eating small lunch and regular dinner though. Although the dinners are made for me which makes a big difference. When the friend dinners stop, who knows. I took multi-vitamins this am to see if it would help with my energy level. Didn't seem to, but it is only 13 days since surgery. What's your energy level like? Force yourself to eat, get a friend to help you get back on regular eating schedule. Take care of yourself.

Unread 08-24-2010, 02:18 AM

I take multi-vitamins in the am and I am awake thus far throughout the entire day.

I forgot to tell you I eat a yogurt with my apple as well.

I have food from nutrisystem which all you have to do is add water or just heat up in the microwave, but I am not even hungry for that either, so I don't eat anything besides what I mentioned.

Do you think I need a call in to my doctor or leave well enough alone and just deal with it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-24-2010, 02:27 AM

Not sure about doctor, but if you are not feeling yourself, then call someone. I'm no expert. You may have just lost your appetite for Nutri-system food. Ask a friend out for breakfast. Someone else cooking is always better tasting. I'm worried you are not getting enough to sustain your energy and mental health. Worry about dieting later. Get some good food in you for now.
Unread 08-24-2010, 05:37 AM

I can identify with what you are going thru. I also have had problems with appetite, I think some of the reason is gas at times but sometimes I feel hungry most of time not. What I have been doing is forcing myself to eat because if I don't then I feel really bad. Its not easy. Its normal not to really crave anything, I know on my discharge papers it said "Diet- as tolerated" As for the sleeping I am up every hour or two at night, and I cannot seem to take naps during the day. I try but the best I can do is be like snoozing and watching tv, not really napping. Hopefully this all will pass soon and we can get back to normal. Best of luck to you in your recovery.
Unread 08-24-2010, 06:25 AM

Today is the start of week 4 for me. I noticed my sleeping pattern changed before surgery do to the anxiety. While I was in the hospital, I did get a couple of days of sleep due to the morphine and other drugs. After getting home, the first couple of days I slept really well. After that, due to resting during the day and dozing off and on throughout the day, my nighttime sleep pattern has changed again. I seem to fall asleep okay at night, but I'm sleeping much lighter than I normally did. If I turn over, I wake up and it takes a while for me to get back to sleep. This may happen once or twice a night. Eventually I get back to sleep by just keeping my eyes closed and not getting out of bed. Otherwise, I feel exhausted all day. I hope this helps.
Unread 08-24-2010, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIN DOCTORS 72 View Post
I had my SAH on July 14th and I am still having problems sleeping and have a lack of appetite. I usually can get through an entire day without eating until about 3:45 p.m. and I will maybe eat an apple and vanilla yogurt, if that and then a spinach salad with two boiled eggs in the evening and six almonds, other than that I have no appetite. I know this is probably not enough food, but that is all I can get eat. I was eating oatmeal before for breakfast, but now I am just can't do it anymore. I just have minimal pain that is bearable, taking an extra strength Tylenol and my Motrin still for swelling yesturday on my first day back at work.

Has anyone had any problems as such?
I found my appetite was poor while on the pain meds, however now that I am off everthing it is back to normal. Albeit it is too hot here to be hungry for anything!!! 107 yesterday!!

As for sleeping, it was poor initially too, but better now. Are you too hot? I don't know if it is a hot flash, or not, but I find I am sleeping w/o out covers or maybe just a sheet (which is very different for me). If I even have a light cover on I wake up too hot! Not really a hot flash but uncomfortably hot. I read years ago that such an occurance often happens in menopause so I wonder if it is my "surgical menopause" finally kicking in?

Good luck to you. As I tell my son, even resting is helping, although sleep is needed to heal, I am told. :-)
Unread 08-24-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiatoodle View Post
Not sure about doctor, but if you are not feeling yourself, then call someone. I'm no expert. You may have just lost your appetite for Nutri-system food. Ask a friend out for breakfast. Someone else cooking is always better tasting. I'm worried you are not getting enough to sustain your energy and mental health. Worry about dieting later. Get some good food in you for now.
I have a friend that wanted to take me to get ice cream or stop at a restaurant to eat, but I have no hunger besides what I eat above. A co-worker that just had a baby told me that I could have an infection, but what I don't understand is why didn't this occur once out of the hospital? I guess my hunger pains are there and I will just have to wait and see how things go. I don't know what a doctor can do for me.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register