I've hesitated to ask this question, don't know if I want the answer | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I've hesitated to ask this question, don't know if I want the answer I've hesitated to ask this question, don't know if I want the answer

Unread 12-08-2002, 08:29 PM
I've hesitated to ask this question, don't know if I want the answer

DH and I are scheduled to go to Las Vegas on January 2nd with my mom and sister. This has been planned since August before we knew we'd be doing this, the tickets are paid for, the room is paid for. I really really really want to go. Do you think I"m going to feel like going? I plan to ask the Dr tomorrow what he thinks. But I really really want to go. LOL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-08-2002, 09:31 PM
travel

I can't say from personal experience since I'm not scheduled until Dec. 12, but my doc told me no long distance travel for at least 4 weeks post-op. It may depend on the procedure you're having. I'm having an exploratory laparotomy, TAH, and at least an RSO. Good luck!

Amy
Unread 12-08-2002, 09:31 PM

I can only give my opinion on this. I had a fairly easy time during my recovery. My surgery was on 10/8. At 3.5 weeks I drove 3 hours and then sat (actually stood) through a college football game the next day and then drove back the following day. I had no trouble at all, just a little tired.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-08-2002, 10:26 PM

Here's the answer you really won't like--no one can tell you. The range of experiences with the surgery and recovery is enormous.

But here's what I can say--I think a pleasure trip at two weeks post-op is more likely to not be a pleasure--on average.

If you're driving or in the plane long DO get out/up and walk around every hour and drink a lot of water. Blood clots are a real hazard still at two weeks--and those can kill you. You want to make sure that the blood circulates out of your legs. Other than that, follow your doctor's instructions--because your doctor knows how much will be/was done inside. The amount of cutting and stitching, the amount of blood lost, etc. makes a huge difference in recovery. I personally would have found a long trip torture at two weeks.
Unread 12-09-2002, 02:33 AM

At two weeks their would of been know way I could of taken a long trip any where, let along going to Vagas, Ive been their several times and their is alot of walking and standing, I healed pretty quick, and was wanting to do something because I felt so good, so DH took me to Wal-Marts, and walked around their some and it kicked my butt I hurt for days afterward, and you do have to worry about the blood clots their are people that have gotten them that didnt have the surgery, while on a plane trip, you really need to talk to your about this one, I do understand wanting to take the trip but your health is way more important then Vagas, you can do that another time.

Bev
Unread 12-09-2002, 04:24 AM

It will actually be 3 weeks post-op. My surgery is this Wednesday and we're scheduled to go to Vegas on the 2nd of January. I guess we'll just play it by ear.
Unread 12-09-2002, 05:20 AM
Travel at 3 weeks

I couldn't have done it. But as you see, others have. Unfortunately, there is no way to know for sure. I think I'd be considering delaying my surgery until after the trip. Any chance of that?

Joselle
Unread 12-09-2002, 05:32 AM

Oh God, no way. I'll cancel the trip if I have to.
Unread 12-09-2002, 07:39 AM

Dear sister,

As the other sisters have said, only you can decide. You didn't say what kind of procedure you are haveing. If you end up with a verticle incision, you will probably have no option. If it is simple, straitforward, Lap or Lap assisted you might feel more like doing something by 3 wk.

However, if you do decide to go, remember, you can't carry *anything* but a purse through the airport. You can request a wheel chair or shuttle service to your gate. Plan on spending a great deal of time in your room, stretched out and resting!!!!!!!!

Luck to ya! Donna
Unread 12-09-2002, 12:42 PM
In your room...........

..............or you could lay out by the pool. All the hotels there have wonderful pools, with waiters/waitresses bringing you umbrella drinks. (Just have the shirley temples if you are still on the pain meds!!) I've been to Vegas several times, and there is a LOT of walking involved (if you want)....or you could take advantage of vacation just in your own hotel. Each hotel there is like it's own little city, you could stay in one hotel for a week, and eat at a different restaurant every meal - lay by the pool - and take advantage of whatever shows your hotel offers (if you sit near the back, and walk out and catch a breather if you get tired of sitting and come back)!! I haven't had the surgery yet, so I'm not an expert - but if I had a successful surgery and my recovery was going well.......I'd probably go and just not plan on touring all of Vegas this time, and save the walking and sight seeing for the next trip!! Good luck, and hope it works out well for you!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register