How do you think my cancer will be staged? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How do you think my cancer will be staged? How do you think my cancer will be staged?

Unread 10-16-2006, 07:29 PM
How do you think my cancer will be staged?

Hi Sisters,

I hope you're doing well tonight and keeping your spirits up.

My original dx was complex hyperplasia with severe atypia. After my surgery, my pathology report came back saying that 10% of my precancer was already cancer. I don't go to see my doc until the 6 week check up and I will ask questions then, but what do you girls think that this will be staged as? It was all contained in my uterus and I was told I do not need any further treatment.

I thought some of you may know how this will end up being staged. Thanks and you all have my prayers!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-16-2006, 07:48 PM

Hi SisterAngel,

It will probably be stage 1 grade a, the grades get higher as more of the uterus is invaded, whether it is partialially invading the uterus walls or has gone further. I have noticed that they do the grading slightly different in australia so it may not be the same as you. It is fabulous that you need no further treatment. Mine was graded higher as it invaded most of my uterus and i had precancerous cells in my fallopian tubes. That is why i am undergoing chemo, they left my ovaries (god knows why) so it is a safety measure.
hugs to you
Unread 10-17-2006, 08:20 AM

I did a scan on the net and this seems to be what all of the sights are saying about the staging for endometrial cancer. Mine was staged as a Stage III because it spread to my left ovary and left fallopian tube but thankfully not to the lymph nodes, I have my consult tomorrow with the Rad/Onc. I am so happy you will not have to have any further treatment. How are you feeling?
Hope this helps!
's
Barb

FIGO Surgical Stages For Endometrial Cancer
Stage I The tumor is confined to the uterine fundus (the body of the uterus).

Stage IA The tumor is limited to the endometrium (the lining of the uterus).

Stage IB The tumor invades less than one-half of the myometrial thickness (the myometrium is the muscular tissue that is found just beneath the endometrium).

Stage IC The tumor invades more than one-half of the myometrial thickness.

Stage II The tumor extends to the cervix (the lower part of the uterus).

Stage IIA Cervical extension is limited to the endocervical glands (glands in the inner lining of the uterus, where the cervix meets the uterus).

Stage IIB Tumor invades the cervical stroma (the supporting connective tissue of the cervix).

Stage III There is regional tumor spread.
Stage IIIA The tumor invades the uterine serosa (the layer of tissue that surrounds the outside of the uterus), or adnexa (tissues on either side of the uterus), or cells in the peritoneum (the member surrounding the abdominal cavity) show signs of cancer.

Stage IIIB Vaginal metastases are present.
Stage IIIC The tumor has spread to lymph nodes near the uterus.

Stage IV There is bulky pelvic disease or distant spread.
Stage IVA Tumor has spread to the bladder or rectum.
Stage IVB Distant metastases are present.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-17-2006, 08:50 AM

Hello,

You will most likely will be a grade1 stage 1b. The 10% infiltration makes you a stage 1b. Because, of this slight myometrial invasion you are probably a lower grade 1.

If you were over 50% infiltration you would be a 1c. The newer protocol is to treat a 1c with brachytherapy
(internal radiation). But, that is not the case with you, and hence no further treatment is required.

Often, when a Sister only states they are a stage 1... it does not fully explain the whole picture. Obviously, the less invasive the better. And, your 10% is considered very minimal.

And, there is no grade a .... grades are either 1 2 or 3.

Hugs, Diane
Unread 10-17-2006, 10:33 AM

It is my understanding that the grade has to do with the cells themselves,not with infiltration of the myometrium. I was diagnosed with stage 1a, grade 2. Grade has to do with the differentiation of the cells, not with the location/spread of the cancer.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register