Surgery finally scheduled! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery finally scheduled! Surgery finally scheduled!

Unread 06-18-2007, 01:49 PM
Surgery finally scheduled!

Now I have to decide about the ovaries.

Anyone else out there ever over-stimulated your ovaries with follistim or repronex or any other injectable for fertility issues? I've read some studies that say ovarian cysts due to injections have no direct relation to ovarian cancer. Others say there is a slight increase in patients with a background of fertility treatments.

I'm 90% convinced that I would feel better having them removed, but then again...surgical menopause?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-18-2007, 03:30 PM

Hi Charlotte,
I'm faced with the same decision, but for different reasons. I was so undecided that I finally asked my doctor (female) what she would do if she was in my shoes.

Her answer was, "Unless we get in there and see an issue, I see no reason to take out something that God put in there for a reason." That was enough for me. She said that even after menopause, women produce their share of (REAL) hormones into their 80's.

That said, my vote is to keep them unless they look totally useless.

Whatever your decision it will be the right one for YOU!

Hang in there,
Cat
Unread 06-18-2007, 03:34 PM

is there somewhere someone can suggest I read up on this -- I am at this point saying they can have EVERYTHING but I just read Cat's post and it got me to thinking. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-18-2007, 04:14 PM

My doc (a male) said the same thing... unless he sees something wrong with them he recommends keeping them, especially since there is no ovarian cancer in my family! It's a tough decision, but you'll make it in your own time. s
Unread 06-18-2007, 04:16 PM
My opinion

I went through 3 years of infertility as well, and all the wonder over stimulation. I had a great fertility doc and the was never a discussion on that type of an increased risk. I am with Cat in saying 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' Go with the wait and see if the Dr see something that say they should be removed but otherwise I would keep them.
Unread 06-19-2007, 10:12 AM
Thanks Everyone!

My doctor said what most of you are saying. If there is no family history of breast or ovarian cancer, then keep them. He doesn't feel that the years of ovarian cysts from the fertility treatments will increase the risk of ovarian cancer.

He will take them out if I request it, but suggests that I give permission to take them out if he sees it's necessary once he gets in there.
Unread 06-19-2007, 10:23 AM

okay i am so stupid --
if i have the hyst and keep the ovaries do i have periods -- i am getting so confused
Unread 06-19-2007, 10:26 AM

Nope... if you keep your cervix, you may have mini periods that I've heard about from other sisters... but even those are rare.... and NO question here is stupid!!! I didn't have the chance to ask... my doc explained it to me before I could

You should still have your pms / feeling of ovulation if you keep your ovaries though, from what I've heard

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register